Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
I totally understand the concept of saving money to make a speaker "work". The part that really angers and frustrates the hell out of me is when the seller claims that the recone kit is "just as good as" or "the same as" the factory version or a faithful reproduction and sells the item to an unsuspecting buyer who thinks he/she is buying the OEM equivalent...when they clearly are being lied to. I think this practice is actually illegal without a disclaimer. A 2245H kit...or any other kit, for that matter...cannot possibly perform the same as or even close to OEM JBL without having Aquaplas applied to the cone in an amount that closely matches the engineering standard. Of course, this is for models that were originally produced with Aquaplas.

What you have is an 18" woofer with a 4" edgewound, 8 ohm voice coil, and a cast aluminum frame. What you cannot call it is a JBL 2245H...because it is incomplete. Making it complete takes time and effort.

That said...I'm glad you're satisfied with the results for the amount spent. That's an objective "value" call.
Hi edgewound,

I have to agree with You. especially with 2245. I have experience that even the latest JBL 2245 recone kit is fare to be 'sounding' as the original JBL 2245, from the 'golden years 2245'.
I think that 2242 or 2226 recone kits non JBL would be more JBL "look a like".

If talking about the drivers parts I have very good experience with MWA parts, but some of their cones has to be 'aquaplas-ed' in order to come near the old JBL sound.

regards
ivica