Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2445 Diaphragm Buzz Help

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think you could fit ay least one more horn and driver in there.

Widget
    You know I have a lot more...

Lately I've been hinting to the wifey that "we need a bigger place". You know I'd probably have every one of my speakers out then, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    nah...those are little book shelve speakers....

There's book shelve spks there. Gotta keep the wife happy having only one button to push,

Something to be said for buying audio parts "NEW"

A few years back I bought two 2445's on Ebay, one that this thread is about and another (same deal). My other two I bought new in the mid 80's.

Anyway I tested my other Ebay driver and it was buzzing too! As I remember,when I got them I tested it and then put it under the bed because it didn't sound right LOL.

So I tried to get the diaphragm out and it was stuck! I managed to finally pop it loose and found that it had stuck to the phase plug and maybe in the gap too. It was all stuck up at the negative pole. I cleaned the gap up good, and it was really nasty, and put one of my spare diaphragms in. This one is good to go now.~

I'm not sure if it overheated or someone spilled something down the throat. These came out of a club in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    A few years back I bought two 2445's on Ebay, one that this thread is about and another (same deal). My other two I bought new in the mid 80's.

Anyway I tested my other Ebay driver and it was buzzing too! As I remember,when I got them I tested it and then put it under the bed because it didn't sound right LOL.

So I tried to get the diaphragm out and it was stuck! I managed to finally pop it loose and found that it had stuck to the phase plug and maybe in the gap too. It was all stuck up at the negative pole. I cleaned the gap up good, and it was really nasty, and put one of my spare diaphragms in. This one is good to go now.~

I'm not sure if it overheated or someone spilled something down the throat. These came out of a club in Canada.

You have to be careful when buying horns and comp. drivers that come out of stage monitors or any horn that was facing slightly upwards, they act like big funnels and are very prone to receive any liquid, beer or rain.

So, what about this Ti vs Be comparison?
    Do you still use the 2404H ?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    So, what about this Ti vs Be comparison?
    Do you still use the 2404H ?
    I still use the 2404. I tried with only the 2445s and Be diaphragms and found it lacking. Using pink noise I can see that they drop off fast after around 10k. Maybe because of the bi-radial 2385 horns I use? I have a CD Horn eq option on my Rane AC24 x-over but I didn't mess with that much. Enabling that function does boost the highs quite a bit.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of changes to my system in the last few weeks, mostly with crossover settings, levels, ect and was really frustrated at one point but I feel that I finally got it dialed it. I'm really liking the 2445s with the Be's crossed over ~ 500hz but felt a little nervous using them that low so I settled on 630hz with 24db/oct. They sound really nice! But like I was saying, my head has been a little spun lately. I think what I'll need to do, after I get it all set up right, is swap my other 2 2445s with the Ti diaphragms and see how crappy they sound, LOL!

If you don't remember, my system is quad amped 2245, 2206, 2445 and 2404.
    Just last week I also swapped out my 2242's for 2245's so that's another story. More thump thump!

Here's a link to the x-over I use. It's nice but takes a light touch on the knobs and you really need an rta to set it up properly.
    http://www.rane.com/ac24.html#gpm1_1

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Just last week I also swapped out my 2242's for 2245's so that's another story. More thump thump!
    Same box?

I don't have any 2242s, but tell the story!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Same box?

I don't have any 2242s, but tell the story!
    Same box tuned to ~28hz and measured.

With the 2242's I needed to run my 2 Sub1500's with a low pass at about 70hz to fill in the bottom. Don't need those with the 2245's. So I just use the Sub1500's for HT now.

The 2242's are great 18's but not really ideal when used in a home situation. Their lower end response improves when used in corners and grouping several together, so their much better used in SR.

This is a BBP6 simulation of the 2 in a JBL 4645 cab tuned at 30hz. You can see how much more bottom the 2245 has. But you get a bunch of the 2242's together and that bottom comes up.
    Orange=2245, red=2242

Thread Information