Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulling sound from new-fangled digital source into old-school analog hi-fi system

Sony for Hi Fi addicts

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...erter-for-HDTV

Get a Sony! Seriously, will the shop take the Toshiba back? The only "problem" I have found with the Sony analog audio is that it has to be controlled by the hi fi preamp, not the TV audio. This whole thing is a real bugger, no easy answers. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...erter-for-HDTV

Get a Sony! Seriously, will the shop take the Toshiba back? The only "problem" I have found with the Sony analog audio is that it has to be controlled by the hi fi preamp, not the TV audio. This whole thing is a real bugger, no easy answers. Mike
    Thanks for the idea but find me a Sony at least 37" big in 1080p for $399 and we'll talk. I'm paying for two private-college educations as it is with one more to go. (My first year on the new job I was #2 in sales out of seven sales-droids, beating two with over ten-years on the job, and still eared half what I did the year before in my old job.)

The $35 PE box seems like the best solution. I'll go back to Best Buy and ask the resident Comcast representative if he can offer a better solution. Maybe their new Cisco box beats the delay.

The picture is fantastic. We'll just use it as a TV and enjoy sync'd big-sound on DVDs.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Watching Dave Matthews and Timmy Reynolds on HDNet (local boys) and the delay doesn't really bother me since Radio City Music Hall has it's own delay that sort of cancels it out over the big JBLs. Sure beats the TV speakers!

Looks like a Martin and a Taylor dreadnought, and a Neumann KMS-104 microphone—and it sounds like it should, though the stereo.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Yeah, but at the present time it would seem a technology still in its infancy, without fixed standards, and with questionable stability!
    Lol, I've never had a single hiccup with any HDMI handshake or compatibility of any sort. Granted, I'm running HDMI 1.3, which ain't the standard for 3D TV, but that's what my TV is and until it blows up, I figure my AVR is fine.

I don't think Heather's problems are HDMI related. That H/K AVR has been nothing but a nightmare from what I've read, while my little old Marantz (that was on clearance as last year's model a couple of years ago) has been nothing but an oustanding $500 purchase.

The technology really isn't in its infancy, there's a shit load of HDMI fed flat screens out there. As for standards, you mean like USB 1.0? Or what's the current standard?

So HDMI 1.4 is the new standard that supports 3D. I'll bet you $5 that within 2 years, HDMI 1.4 has been superseded by 1.5 or something relating to 3D without glasses. Then what? Wait another couple of years so you can get the latest HDMI 1.6 gear?

It's always going to be a moving target. You just have to jump on at some point or get left behind.

And I still have a 3.5" floppy drive in the bottom of my computer case. There was no place to mount it, so I stuck it in an anti-static bag and left it laying in the bottom of the case. There ain't no floppies out there. All my advanced planning was for naught.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    In regard to the lag, there should be an adjustment on the TV itself to compensate for that. I think on mine it's called lip synch or something stupid like that. Have you tried futzing with that? It might save you from having to introduce anything else into the signal path...
    The lag is caused by most flat screen TV's these days. CRT was an "instant" display device, well a line or two is all (< 100 microseconds), while LCD has a huge processing delay before the picture is displayed. So now you need a long audio delay to get 'em back into "Lip Sync", (which is the actual technical term for Audio and Video timing parity, seeing as how "talking heads" are among the most prominent and annoying things on TV).
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Lol, I've never had a single hiccup with any HDMI handshake or compatibility of any sort. Granted, I'm running HDMI 1.3, which ain't the standard for 3D TV, but that's what my TV is and until it blows up, I figure my AVR is fine.

I don't think Heather's problems are HDMI related. That H/K AVR has been nothing but a nightmare from what I've read, while my little old Marantz (that was on clearance as last year's model a couple of years ago) has been nothing but an oustanding $500 purchase.

So HDMI 1.4 is the new standard that supports 3D. I'll bet you $5 that within 2 years, HDMI 1.4 has been superseded by 1.5 or something relating to 3D without glasses. Then what? Wait another couple of years so you can get the latest HDMI 1.6 gear?

The HK AVR 7300 doesn't do HDMI - so I use an external HDMI switch from Monoprice to route those signals - primarily video for my purposes. My HDMI issues may have been with my old Philips CRT HDTV (it was 1.3 spec) - I did have dropouts and muting when I tried an Emotiva Processor (basically an AVR Preamp) last spring. Haven't had HDMI problems since I shipped the Emotiva back for a full refund last June - but its bugginess is now well documented.
    Plus I got a Vizio panel digital set last month and gave away the Philips ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

As a quick follow-up, the little Muse mini-DAC Seawolf recommended ($50 off eBay) is working perfectly to resolve the latency issue with TV sound. I'm running optical-out from the Toshiba into Mini and then into the main system and timing is perfect.

I'm also running a Musical Fidelity V-DAC-I on loan from a customer and I'm enjoying it so much the timing couldn't have been better for the announcement of the arrival of the Emotiva XDA-2 USB DAC on-sale currently for $350:
    http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/xda2

If anyone can think of a better value in a DAC today, please let me know before I pull the trigger!

As a quick follow-up, the little Muse mini-DAC Seawolf recommended ($50 off eBay) is working perfectly to resolve the latency issue with TV sound. I'm running optical-out from the Toshiba into Mini and then into the main system and timing is perfect.
    Glad that it worked out ... mine has been a lot of cheap fun
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Any thoughts on that XDA after some use?
    Always fun learning more.......

I never bought the Emotiva.

They had so many teething problems with the USB software, I was waiting for them to rectify the problems.

Then the intro price got bumped to $399 and I lost interest.

And the Musical Fidelity V-DAC I have on-loan is working just fine and the owner doesn't seem to be in any hurry to have it back.

I never bought the Emotiva.

They had so many teething problems with the USB software, I was waiting for them to rectify the problems.

Then the intro price got bumped to $399 and I lost interest.

And the Musical Fidelity V-DAC I have on-loan is working just fine and the owner doesn't seem to be in any hurry to have it back.
    The Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Processor I got was so bad I'm not likely to check them for much of anything in the future.
    On that one it was horrid HDMI handshaking issues, plus some other things.
    But they did have a good return policy, thank goodness!

Frankly, there are so many good DACs out there its not worth taking time for bad ones ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Processor I got was so bad I'm not likely to check them for much of anything in the future.
    On that one it was horrid HDMI handshaking issues, plus some other things.
    But they did have a good return policy, thank goodness!

Frankly, there are so many good DACs out there its not worth taking time for bad ones ...
    To be fair, the Emotiva XDA-2 has such an amazing feature set at such a great price (list $399) and is gaining excellent critical reviews http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...pheadphone-amp that it is still a compelling product I look forward to sampling. Their direct-distribution marketing means they often offer their own sale pricing. At the intro price of $350 including shipping I was tempted until the stories of teething issues began collecting on the manufacturer's own web site (with their comments, to their credit). When the solutions appeared about the same time the discount ended, I decided to wait. I'm still impressed by the plethora of connections the unit provides and the versatility it offers. Looking forward to their next holiday sale.

Thread Information