Thread: BBE X-over

BBE X-over

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with BBE Max-X3 crossover?
    I don't see any thread on this crossover in this forum.
    How does it sound, compared with Ashly XR1001 or DBX 223XL?
    Thanks for any comments or feedback.

No,
    But have a DS48, not expensive, but it is possible to find better.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...28196-Bbe-Ds48

Stéphane
    Club double 16"
    "Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler"

Seems to be intended mostly for pro sound-reinforcement use. Amazon.com quotes:
    . . . the Max-X3 has no equal at any price.
    Reviews there talk about the noise floor possibly not being low enough for home use. And then there's that digital processor which I can assume you can turn off that screws-up the sound on most TVs when engaged . . .

I reccomend this for outside the studio in live situations-not sure how the noise is in a studio situation as the maximizers tend to have a noisegate to release on a note then you hear the hiss-not noticeable in a live mix though.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

None of the actives you have named are of the pedigree needed to exemplify a Pass product . You'll hear the crossover and thats about it . However ,the analogue Ashley would be the best of class in my opinion .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    None of the actives you have named are of the pedigree needed to exemplify a Pass product . You'll hear the crossover and that's about it . However, the analogue Ashley would be the best of class in my opinion .
    I can't argue since I have probably the least experience with this stuff of anyone here and have only heard what I own, but I'd like to understand what I would hear that would be caused by the crossover? I'm using the Ashly XR1001 with bi-amped 4345 Kenrick/Katz clones with lowly Crowns and all I hear is the music. Or what improvement would one expect shelling out $600+ for the highly-recommended Marchand?

FWIW, I believe I paid $100 for my Ashly off Ebay and it's the U.S.-made pre-hyphen version. They currently seem to bring around $125 in good shape.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The pro , or PA active crossover is not designed for low level critical Jazz listening . The gentlemen mentioned using a Pass Labs mono block set up in his other thread . He was asking advise about the three crossovers mentioned . I was stating that an amplifier of that calibre would reproduce sonic
    colouration imparted by a pro or PA crossover .

BTW the marchand is at the bottom of the high-end crossover tree . The Ashley is highly regarded here -rated above the others mentioned .

For what he is thinking of doing ,I'm advising against the use of the a xover not designed for his application.

It would be like putting tractor tires on a Z8 .

Maybe in the future you would like to try a high quality crossover and a good Class A or Tube amp on the high end . I really think you would be able to appreciate the vast improvement .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    It would be like putting tractor tires on a Z8 .
    Thanks. Probably wouldn't bother the Z8 as much as it would an M5 though!

Lesser brands have the heritage for it:

Name:  color0004.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  121.8 KB Name:  1.1284828410.for-pa---a-porsche-tractor.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  86.2 KB

Thanks, all!

Many thanks for your advice and comments.
    Based on your wise counsel,
    at this point I think I have to stick to my current JBL M552 and Ashly XR1001,
    rather than adventure about this BBE X-over.

By the way, I've A/Bd M552 and XR1001, but 4343 produces more jazzy, lively sound from jazz CDs or LPs than Ashly with the same settings on both X-overs. My own experience with both of them gives higher marks to M552, contrary to most of our forum members' preference for Ashly.

Thread Information