Thread: Denon DP-60L Turntable

Denon DP-60L Turntable

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    I've almost pulled the trigger on one of these Denons countless times. Really interested to hear your thoughts on the sound!
    Mike ..I got it hooked up this morning to the 250Ti's (with 375wpc available)

but, where I am coming from ?? : started out with Garrard TT..then into Dual's for a while ...Pioneers and Technics ...back to a Dual 701 (great TT) until CD came in .. ...dusted it off a couple of years back and it immediately blew a transformer (replacement unavailable) ...snagged the V-15T3 off it and sold to a national Dual repair shop....since then its been back to Thorens, Pioneers , Technics, Duals , B&O's and the like...even a SL1200 mk2...

2 months ago I picked up a Denon DP-45F (full auto) with a Denon DL-160 cart ....I have really enjoyed it and the little guy will be around here a long time. Have been buying a lot of vinyl the last 3 years and was delighted to discover record shows.

So I am invested in LP playback and decided that instead of periodic turntable replacement , that I would just drop a little extra and go for a keeper.

This Denon DP-60L was in fab condition with both arms . all the accessories , and box with manual ...I wish it had a better cart ..looks like a barely used Grado blue ....I'll either put the V-15 on it or go for another Denon DL-103 ....even with a middling cart it sounds better than most anything I've ever heard ....it produces no mechanical noise at all ...at 30 pounds, it aint gonna fly away either ..the manual says that the straight arm sounds better than the S arm thats currently in use .....its a tweekers delight ..almost everything is adjustable ....unless it dies on me next week , I would surely give it a high buy recommendation .

its not completely manual , but you place the cart at your starting point..hit "START" and the platter starts and the stylus cues...at lead out it picks up stylus and stops platter rotation ...there is an electronic button for cue up & down....speeds rock solid...there is an indicator light that comes on when it thinks you are on lead out ...everything adjustable.

another benefit...the Ol doesn't give a NanoCrap about stereo gear ...cant tell a CD player from a sub-woofer...even she walked by and said "wow that's beautiful" ."just buy it ??" .I nodded .."$100 ?" ...I just nodded again...

One more thing ..it is dual voltage , so the thumbs up is good for you guys on 220v too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Very nice, and thanks for the notes! It looks stunning in action

Now, I'll just have to keep my eyes open for one

The Pass room at las January's CES was using one of these. The guy running the show said they got so tired of fiddling with high end tweakey audiophile turntables for hours on end every time they came to a show that the settled on one of these. He said they take it out of the box, level it and and they're good to go. Great table.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The Pass room at las January's CES was using one of these. The guy running the show said they got so tired of fiddling with high end tweakey audiophile turntables for hours on end every time they came to a show that the settled on one of these. He said they take it out of the box, level it and and they're good to go. Great table.
    thats interesting..thanx

spent a lot of yesterday afternoon listening to the new Denon ...the big , solid image with very strong bass was addicting ... put on some classic Ray Charles and was completely blown away .. this may be the best that the 250Ti's have ever sounded while in my possession, no matter what the source material.

I think this is what the Brits/Linnies call PRaT. .... it was just so effortless , musical and natural that it damned near sounded like a different system ...I'm unsure where to place the accolades ... the cart is only $110 retail , so ....? ..same vinyl....nothing else has changed.

Am back to digging thru the unwashed LP's to see what to treat myself with next (after their washing) ...got a feeling that the "Koyaanisqatsi" ST is going to knock me over the edge...

I've been auditioning different carts in the Denon to see what sounds best ...which ever the winner is , will go into the straight arm ......the old V-15 is somewhat better than the supplied Grado ....in the S arm.

One that I found , always assumed it was Empire -since it was in an Empire headshell- ...(yeah, I know..that means nothing) ....but now I dont know ....its a clear green housing and says 165 s ...with a manufactures logo that I dont know...

anybody recognize this one ?

Nagatronics

Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Nagatronics

I spend an hour searching the web.....no joy

post on LHF and 22 minutes later I have the correct nfo ....
    thanx Mike

OBTW ....been doing a little research on the 60L , they call it the last of the great quality Denon TT's...there are following models (even with lower model numbers..ie:57L) that are supposedly the cheapenings of the brand ....but they look very similar..

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    post on LHF and 22 minutes later I have the correct info ....
    thanx Mike
    My pleasure. I've certainly learned more here than I can even begin to calculate, so it's nice to [every once in a great while] be able to offer a little something.

OBTW ....been doing a little research on the 60L , they call it the last of the great quality Denon TT's...there are following models (even with lower model numbers..ie:57L) that are supposedly the cheapenings of the brand ....but they look very similar..
    That's really good to know. As I mentioned, I've held back from pulling the trigger on several different Denon decks over the years, so it's helpful to know what the high water mark is in terms of their development.

I spend an hour searching the web.....no joy

post on LHF and 22 minutes later I have the correct nfo ....
    thanx Mike

At least some of the lower numbers were contemporaneous, just had a different set of features. From those available in that line of tables, I bought a DP-55K which is a completely manual table and came without the brand arm. It is still in service today, and it has never required any repairs or adjustments. It's silent, dependable, stable and never asks for attention.

(Yes, the azimuth looks off, but it's just an illusion from the angle of the photo. The slip on gauge shows it to be perfect.)

Quote Originally Posted by doodle6 View Post
    At least some of the lower numbers were contemporaneous, just had a different set of features. From those available in that line of tables, I bought a DP-55K which is a completely manual table and came without the brand arm. It is still in service today, and it has never required any repairs or adjustments. It's silent, dependable, stable and never asks for attention.

(Yes, the azimuth looks off, but it's just an illusion from the angle of the photo. The slip on gauge shows it to be perfect.)
    yes, I see that it doesnt have the arm lift button (but of course not, w/o the factory arm) ...so it doesnt do the auto-cue ? or EOR arm lift ?

different sites call the plinth lots of various woods ...this one http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/201...-60l-1980.html

calls it "Cabinet: It is 20 mm of specular surface finish thickness high-density particle which stuck bubinga native wood."

(I couldn't get the seller to budge on price..but he did throw in a brush that I didn't need...so recouped a little on the sale of the brush)

funny ..there is one on GoodWill.com auction with 6.5 days to go ...and within $20 of what I paid from CL..(not sure abt GW shipping a TT )

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...s-7541531.html

yes, I see that it doesnt have the arm lift button (but of course not, w/o the factory arm) ...so it doesnt do the auto-cue ? or EOR arm lift ?

different sites call the plinth lots of various woods ...this one http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/201...-60l-1980.html

calls it "Cabinet: It is 20 mm of specular surface finish thickness high-density particle which stuck bubinga native wood."

funny ..there is one on GoodWill.com auction with 6.5 days to go ...and within $20 of what I paid from CL..(not sure abt GW shipping a TT )

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...s-7541531.html
    That's right - it's 100% manual. Manually turn it on, move the arm over the record, lower the arm via lever action, raise arm via the lever at the end of play, then place the arm in the cradle and turn the thing off. Seems like a lot when I type it out and even more when I'm likkered up. At least twice, I've gotten up the next morning to hear the click.....click.....click of the runout groove. But what a solid performer. I have a Thorens deck as well, but I never use it. The Denon is just too convenient. And it's a beautiful piece as well, confusing our friends who know us only as confirmed rednecks.

I don't think any of the audiophile brands can beat it unless you make a step or two up from their entry level tables.

Quote Originally Posted by doodle6 View Post

Thats the model I found favour with over on these shores. Way better than that Technics thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Thats the model I found favour with over on these shores. Way better than that Technics thingy.
    Hey Mr. Mac ...

the manual says "Since a straight arm is almost symmetrical from side to side,dimensional or mechanical accuracies are improved. This design eliminates dimensional error or tortional distortion , making higher fidelity reproduction possible"My straight arm & weight have never been mounted...the hardware & spare leads package is still sealed...

Q4U: is it worth mounting the cart into the other arm ..in your experience....??
    (I do also have the supplied overhang gauge)

Thread Information