Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning digital bass!

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    William Orbit "Strange Cargo III" jblnut
    Speaking of William Orbit: he produced Madonna, which may or may not strike your musical fancy, but it tops my deep bass sample:

Madonna - Ray of Light
    "The Power of Good-Bye"

Madonna - Music
    "What It Feels Like For A Girl"

Enya - Enya
    Multiple tracks

Gladiator soundtrack
    "Now We Are Free"

Titanic soundtrack
    Multiple tracks

JBL 4645
    I have all but (Madonna – Music "What It Feels Like For A Girl") I have noticed deep low rumbling on the other tracks.

Titanic dts 5.1 CD fantastic.

The more experimental side of electronic music is generally very low-bass heavy.

Many ambient CD's contain frequencies below 20Hz (such as Lustmord's classic "Heresy"); then there's drum'n'bass genre which, as the name implies, has lots of bass (take Photek's "Modus Operandi", for example). Dub and dubstep sounds nothing without a high-quality subwoofer (Burial's debut "Burial" being good example of this genre). The tribal drums on Jhno's "Kwno" CD will destroy your loudspeakers if they were of any other brand than JBL Everyone must have heard Massive Attack's masterpiece "Mezzanine", and yes, that is trip-hop. Ultra-low rumbling on several tracks. Amon Tobin, the mastermind of experimental sound collages, has released many CD's that contain low bass ("Out from out where" is my favorite). Has anybody ever heard of a term "intelligent dance music" (IDM)? This term and the words "digital" "bass" go very well along. Listen to Monolake's "Interstate", to begin with, and you will believe...

There's too many to mention...

Emerson Lake and Palmer-Pictures at an Exhibtion! Theres this one time pedal organ note, geez, but WOW, IF your system could handle it, which not very many could, but IF your system can, IT'S WORTH waiting for!

CAUTION, THIS NOTE WILL DRIVE ANY SYSTEM TO THAT MOMENTARY PEAK THAT IS OVER THE TOP.

OH, and find yourself some REALLY REALLY GOOD CD,s of Japanese Taiko Drums, WICKED STUFF!
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    What monitors are these studios using if most of these CD are self-destructive to other loudspeakers it will take hell of lot to do mine in and besides I’m not careless enough to even try and find out.

If you don't mind country, try the Jamey Johnson disc That Long Lonesome Song. It plays as deep as any music I own.

JBL 4645
    Madonna “Ray of Light”

I’ve patched the lead directly into the Pioneer DV-525 DVD player (left and right outputs) rather than the usual discrete way when looking at films low end content.

The second part 2 part of the waterfall shows the thunder moment in the soundtrack. Low end is recorded from 120Hz down to the lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Emerson Lake and Palmer-Pictures at an Exhibtion! Theres this one time pedal organ note, geez, but WOW, IF your system could handle it, which not very many could, but IF your system can, IT'S WORTH waiting for!

CAUTION, THIS NOTE WILL DRIVE ANY SYSTEM TO THAT MOMENTARY PEAK THAT IS OVER THE TOP.

OH, and find yourself some REALLY REALLY GOOD CD,s of Japanese Taiko Drums, WICKED STUFF!
    Actually the note to which you refer is in The Old Castle and it is done on the Moog IIIC (actually happens 3-4 times during that piece). The pipe organ is used at the beginning of the piece and has little deep pedal action to it.

I was listening to both ELP and Cleveland Orchestra versions yesterday. If you listen to the original version, you will hear lots of "themes" for other parts of the "Exibition" that are used, but not credited on the ELP album. For example The Sage, credited to Lake, is actually a variation of Cum Mortiuis in Lingua Mortua which is a continuation of the VIII Movement Catacombae. Sepulchrum Romanum.

1812 Ovature

I still have the vinyl record of the the Telarc 1812 Ovature. This record cause a lot of problems in the day because only a very few cartridges could track the cannon shots. With many cartridges the stylist would just be blow out of the groove. I had a Shure V15II at the time and didn't have that problem. I found out because of an article in Audio mag. John

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I still have the vinyl record of the the Telarc 1812 Ovature. This record cause a lot of problems in the day because only a very few cartridges could track the cannon shots. With many cartridges the stylist would just be blow out of the groove. I had a Shure V15II at the time and didn't have that problem. I found out because of an article in Audio mag. John

I wonder how good the one on Youtube is in high quality stereo. I’ll hunt one down and place it on the spectrumlab.

JBL 4645
    Flipping heck! There are several Telarc 1812 Overtures at 7 and 15 minute running time. I’d have to run the signal from the pc to the AVR and set the AVR to sw-re-mix mode and record the low end content from 80Hz down to the lowest.

I don’t like this version it sounds too soft and wimpy like naff hamburger from Burger King.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nU96Yvk310s&fmt=18

I’m going to look for one that cuts to the chase I have part of this on dts 5.1 demonstration disc but not in full.

JBL 4645
    Well if not impressed with the first few minutes its naff! Please some tell me that is taking the piss at 50Hz! I couildn't be asked to listen to the rest of I’d sooner listen to the U.S.S. Enterprise going to warp speed in Star Trek IV at the end of the film10 times!

1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky ( Mercury Living Presence )
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vQKZFF-9s&feature=related&fmt=18
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    “Anakins’s Dark Deeds” 4’05 track 10 from (Star Wars episode 3 Revenge of the Sith 2005) Music by John Williams.

Recoded directly from the Pioneer DV-525

This had dark operatic feel to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information