Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bionic 4313B's

Obsolete

Bionic 4313B's

I was wondering if I could ask your advice on something I've been thinking about lately, I may start a thread on it but I did want to ask you first. I have a pair of 4313Bs that I like very much (my favorite model actually) but I was wondering if there is any way to try to make them sound even better. Mine are pretty beat up (the cabs) so I was wondering if it would be worthwile to do a new crossover but charge coupled this time. Have you done anything like this and do you think its even worth the bother. Are there any other modifications that you could recomend?

Thanks for your time
    Bionic 4313B's... That's a good one.

I'm not sure if I posted about my latest pair of 4313B's, probably because they aren't completely finished. But here's what I have so far:
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Obsolete
    The networks are charge-coupled and they cost more than the entire system is worth but they sound damn good. They were purely proof of concept. Mirror imaged, ported on the back instead of the front, 120Ti sized box instead of 4313B sized box for that extra 5 Hz on the bottom end.

I might finish them one day.

The only way I can see where this is worth the time and effort is if you really love the loudspeaker and want to keep it until the day after forever. I can see no way to get your money back out of the endeavor. Mine have all fresh drivers, NOS 066's and 2105H's and fresh recones on the LE10H's. That's a ton of money right there. Add in the cost of the charge-coupled networks and you could probably buy something like a nice pair of 4430's for the same amount of money.

Oh, and one of the three NOS 066's was DOA so there's the cost of that too in this particular instance.

That's a tidy network you got there!

Your lovely work as usual, and there are, of course, those who would want these in spite of your cost analysis.

Beautiful!

Thats exactly what I had in mind, those X-overs look great!
    Here's my predicament, I have two sets of 4313Bs both with cabs that need work.
    One set is staying in my office & the other set I wanted to use in my living room where space is at a premium due to the layout of the house, lots of windows so its been on my mind as to where to place these. I'll post pictures later to illustrate my point.
    In reality a smaller set would be ideal but I really want the sound quality of the 4313B in there. I was also thinking of maybe building a narrower enclosure but then I imagine it would have to be either taller & or deeper?! Plus I also wanted it to be more like the TIKs, with nice curves, a lot to ask for but might be a worthwhile endeavor.

I like the new L-pads, I would think about a re-cone once I recovered from the potential shock of the investment of the x-overs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The only way I can see where this is worth the time and effort is if you really love the loudspeaker and want to keep it until the day after forever. I can see no way to get your money back out of the endeavor.
    I think I qualify for the first statement for sure, the second part really does not figure into it since I have no intention to part with my 43s even in their less than pristine condition.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Your lovely work as usual, and there are, of course, those who would want these.
    Yes! Like Meee!
    Just Play Music.

OCD execution (not that I know anything about that )

Projects at this level are a labor of love and not about recovering your investment...except in pure enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    Projects at this level are a labor of love and not about recovering your investment...except in pure enjoyment.
    Exactly! Thats what this little hobby of ours is all about as far as I'm concerned

I might finish them one day.
    One day soon I would imagine, looks like you're basically there.
    Just Play Music.

Simply stunning 'B! You're giving me food for thought on maybe hot-rodding my 4411's.....

Rejuvenation

Hi Chas!

One thinks nothing of doing this on any of the larger systems 44XX & 43XX but any good system with a good foundation I think is worthy of this consideration. My 4313s look like they were manhandled none too kindly & I can only imagine at what volume levels they were played at. I cant help but think that upgrading the X-overs (charged or otherwise) would be a step in the right direction. Kind of like an audio "Makeover".
    Just Play Music.

JBL 4645
    Da da da daaaaaaa, da da da da da da da da daaaaaaaa

4318B, JBL. A speaker barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic 4318B. JBL will be that speaker. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, louder!

I like the juicy crossover.

The quality, planning, care, and execution involved in those networks is simply astounding. I'd be tempted to leave them outside the box. Beautiful work!

Name:  worship.gif
Views: 2183
Size:  12.0 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

"...I might finish them one day.
    Sure do have to finish them. A tribute model. The original taken to the ulitimate maturity.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Da da da daaaaaaa, da da da da da da da da daaaaaaaa

4318B, JBL. A speaker barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic 4318B. JBL will be that speaker. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, louder!
    Now that's funny!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hello 4313B

Those look great! You have to finish them now or we will all keep buggin ya.

Hello Krunchy

If I had a pair I would do it. I think out of all the smaller systems we listened too the 4313 were the best.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Worthy project!

Since there is limited JBL high-end systems around anymore I see this as the best direction to take.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thread Information