Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christchurch Earthquake ....

Christchurch Earthquake ....

Hi Folks,

6.3 quake hits at 1pm -the middle of the lunch rush .

I hope our own Allan and those close him are OK

Rich

JBL 4645
    Jesus, what a mess!

The country's deadliest natural disaster in 80 years struck at 12:51pm (23:51pm GMT on Monday), 10km (6.2 miles) south-east of the city.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12533291

Al, most likely okay, might be helping others clean up the mess it left, I‘m sure he’ll be online as soon as he can.

The news says they have power still as well as most importantly water, but 65 wasn’t so lucky.

Reading the news has tied a knot in my stomach.

Time Zone World Clock its early morning hours and Al doesn’t usual logo on till around 8 or 9pm UK time.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=951

JBL 4645
    Its early morning hours down-under now, and still no word from, Al?

I sent him a pm early this morning so he should get an email notification in his, inbox.

Oh, man the carnage this quake left and still no word from Al.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12547853

JBL 4645
    Some of the images might upsetting to most, its upset me I didn’t think it was this bad.

I sure hope that, Al has made it though this its starting to worry me no word from him yet.

I can’t believe the 7.1 last year did less damage yet the 6.3 has left an untold mess and loss of life. I guess the duration of the quake lasted longer over the 7.1.

JBL 4645
    Maybe Al, home was badly hit and I hope to, God he didn’t hang around inside and got out as fast as possible! Maybe he’s helping others and doesn’t yet have time to chat on the site, or at least a quick post that he’s okay I can understand that. But it’s getting on to almost 2 days now.

Yes I’m a little worried about, Al wellbeing.

http://christchurch-2011.person-finder.appspot.com/

Thanks guys. I am still alive. The quake was worse because it was only a few miles from the city. The last one was 40 miles away! My area is toast as is most of eastside of the city. I have no services at home and i am sitting im my car with my iphone. So appart from the quake, all is ok.

JBL 4645
    I’ve already said in the pm and again glad you’re alive, Al and didn’t take any chances.

The damage is going to take months to clean up while still looking for people. A year to start slowing building the city back up again.

Was your home hit badly? Any minor damages, is it safe to live in?

I guess I can speak for, you? It must have scarred the living daylights out of you?

The earthquake being of a lesser magnetite of only 6.3 over the 7.1 of last year. But for this, one being closer to the surface to conflict the untold damage, despair and loss of life, amongst the people less than a minute.

Just got power tv and internet back on. Not bad only 32 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    So appart from the quake ... .
    Good luck!

Good to hear you are safe! I hope the cleanup for you and yours goes as well as can be expected.

Stay well.

JBL 4645
    Al
    It must really suck living on top of an area that can violently tilt you’re life upside down in an instant without warning!

If it happened in my area I sure wouldn’t hang around waiting for the roof to fall in! I’d grab my, cat the keys, wallet, phone, camera and out the door!

the main problem here is not the earthquake but the beaurocrats sitting around talking and not doing. They have done bugger all since the last earthquake nearly 6 months ago! This time there is at least 100 times more damage.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    the main problem here is not the earthquake but the beaurocrats sitting around talking and not doing. They have done bugger all since the last earthquake nearly 6 months ago! This time there is at least 100 times more damage.

Allan.
    My wife and I were trying to suss the damage through the images provided via media. My experience here back in 1989 was that though there was terrible damage in many specific and concentrated areas the impact to the vital services and overall community was not nearly as bad as portrayed in the images shown by the TV press. You would think vast sections of San Francisco, for instance, were reduced to rubble evidenced by the collapsed roadway.

I hope and pray it is similar with your communities in that as bad as it was, it is not as bad and widespread as implied by news coverage.
    David F
    San Jose

hi David,

Although the quake has dropped many buildings, the damage to the systems, water , electrical, sewerage etc, is considerable. Most of the roads to the east of the city are drivable but in many cases one lane, covered with holes, mud and big lumps, so driving is interesting. The serage and stormwater systems are all in a very bad way and many of the access points on the roads are not sitting 1ft or more above the surface. The media is only concentrating on the city where all of the paper pushers work. The main problems are where the people live. Serious indeed.

Allan.

I have some friends living not far away, in Dunedin that also felt this. I was talking to them for a couple of days ago, and they where fine.

I really feel with all that was in the center of this. The dead, the missing, my thoughts are with them.

Thread Information