Thread: I couldn't resist...

I couldn't resist...

I bought a pair of museum quality AR 3s today...Name:  2011-02-17_18-07-38_993.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  62.4 KB

So how do you like them?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

They are 100% original except for the fact that the notoriously noisy and defective mid and hf pots have been bypassed. That's the first thing I checked, which made me suspicious that they had been worked on. If the drivers aren't original on these circa 1960 speakers they are worthless, and the guy was asking $600. We moved the grilles off enough to reassure me that everything was original, and it is some pretty amazing stuff. The first direct radiating dome drivers ever? Acoustic crossovers? It's really wild and primitive in there! I'm the second owner if you don't count estate whores. I have all of the docs that came with the speakers, even the original stands.

As to the sound. Way too bright and midrangey, but that's because of the VR bypass someone did in the 70's or 80's. I switched to vinyl and turned it way down and they really are excellent. Great microdynamics, very low coloration, just amazing, all the time I'm subtracting the obvious overpowered mid and HF dome. I can't wait to hear these right. An absolutely amazing and historic speaker. It came with a huge amount of original documentation and even the original stands. The warranty and documentation were worth the price. I love them. EDIT: These are the super rare 3s not the 3as that were made by the millions.

First of all congratulations! There are many vintage speakers I'd love to give a home to, and AR3 and/or AR3as would certainly be on the short list.

Secondly, I wouldn't suggest you need to be using an old HH Scott or Fisher, but I hope you something nice to power them with that are devoid of all the digital junk inside.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    First of all congratulations! There are many vintage speakers I'd love to give a home to, and AR3 and/or AR3as would certainly be on the short list.

Secondly, I wouldn't suggest you need to be using an old HH Scott or Fisher, but I hope you something nice to power them with that are devoid of all the digital junk inside.

Widget
    You might be on to something. The first thing I hit them with was "Chukys in Love" on CD and it ripped my ears off. I'm pretty sure (EDIT I know ) I need to do some electronic restoration, but the driver/ cabinet original crossover here is an amazing thing. These are domes! The first domes ever, and some really healthy true acoustic suspension woofs. They've got wool or something stuffed in front of the mid (acoustic crossover) totally crazy stuff. I feel honored to be in their possession. I'll fire off some real pics tomorrow. I bought some high end Cantons at the same sale, early eighties, German built---unlistenable. These ARs are very special speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    I gave up on tubes years ago, but somehow I have to agree, tubes would work perfectly with these. Imaging is perfect. I have to listen some more!

I've prolly had 15 different pairs of AR's ...still have AR90* towers in my HT ....even had 2 or 3 AR3 sets , and I have never heard/experienced/read about or even dreamed of any AR3's being too bright..until now.

in the 70's I bought replacement pots from AR ... performed a radical lopotomy (working through the open woofer hole) ...I've bypassed the pots , done most everything except changing out drivers , in order to bring some balance to the AR3 .... they are bass heavy with very recessed mids and highs , the classic "covered with a horse blanket" sound.

The mids/highs have very fine and very exposed tensile wires that are easy to snag , every pair that I've seen have been wired differently , they did have very nice veneer tho..

Glad you like them and I'm really not trying to rain on the parade , but many many JBL's will best them for much less money.

*AR90 is a large 4 way tower similar to the L7 (but 2 side mounted 10's) with a response of 23-20K

a little more .....have a friend in Australia who loves AR ...he is restoring both some LST's and MST's ....he likes to stay original but has switched to SEAS mid/high drivers to get the blankets off/balance on.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I gave up on tubes years ago, but somehow I have to agree, tubes would work perfectly with these. Imaging is perfect. I have to listen some more!
    when I had AR3's..the manual stated a minimum of 25wpc to drive them.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Did you know that SEAS is a Norwegian brand? Made in a small town called Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    a little more .....have a friend in Australia who loves AR ...he is restoring both some LST's and MST's ....he likes to stay original but has switched to SEAS mid/high drivers to get the blankets off/balance on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Did you know that SEAS is a Norwegian brand? Made in a small town called Moss.
    I do ..

attached to my PC receiver is a pair of L-86 clones , 3 ways ..8 inch LF ...that is all SEAS ...very balanced and sound great
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Dynaco A-25s used SEAS drivers, IIRC. That was a nice sounding little speaker.

I reconnected to these this evening. I'm speechless, they are that good. Everything, records, CDs TV FM sounds so right. Amazing 50 year old speaks. I Fuk** love them!

Thread Information