Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Array 880 Listening Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Sounds like you need to go out and make some friends!! lol I bet Horer has plenty maybe he will share!
    I have friends, but only one who cares about sound, so when he stops by I surrender the sweet spot and pace around like a penguin dad that can't find his egg. I also have kids, and they refuse to put their laptops away when they watch a movie with me. The older one, 16, even tries to keep one earbud in until I spot it! What is this world coming to? I'm just saying 4.0 works for me because I'm the only one that gives a s"""!

I have this demo scene from Inglorious Basterds Blu-ray with the David Bowie song that I played for my son today. He was pissed that I made him get off the couch, and even more pissed when I told him he had to leave his laptop behind and LISTEN. He said, "Dad, I've seen this movie a hundred times." I said where?" "Bit torrent"

That said, the 880 has to be the most beautiful center channel speaker on the planet, and if it sounds anything like the Array 1400, it has to be the most beautiful sounding center channel on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    the 880 has to be the most beautiful center channel speaker on the planet, and if it sounds anything like the Array 1400, it has to be the most beautiful sounding center channel on the planet.
    I'd agree its cabinet is prettier than the PC600, but I'd want to hear it in the same room before agreeing to your second point. As much as I love the Array horns, I still like the inverted Ti dome midrange and Ti dome tweeter a lot. I got some supporting opinions from LH and AVS members at my house for the meet this weekend who drooled on then ate up the Arrays in the HT but in turn liked the Performance Series better for music.

Of course my HT center is not an Array 880 with its smaller horns, it's a SAM1HF/SAM2LF . The 880 might actually be more "musical"--wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I'd agree its cabinet is prettier than the PC600, but I'd want to hear it in the same room before agreeing to your second point. As much as I love the Array horns, I still like the inverted Ti dome midrange and Ti dome tweeter a lot. I got some supporting opinions from LH and AVS members at my house for the meet this weekend who drooled on then ate up the Arrays in the HT but in turn liked the Performance Series better for music.

Of course my HT center is not an Array 880 with its smaller horns, it's a SAM1HF/SAM2LF . The 880 might actually be more "musical"--wouldn't surprise me at all.

So I should quit lusting after the 800 Array and keep enjoying my new PS PT800/PS1400's ?

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post
    So I should quit lusting after the 800 Array and keep enjoying my new PS PT800/PS1400's ?
    I've seen it written (by 4313B IIRC) that the 800 Array plus a good sub is quite a nice package. Of course, you'd need a sub for each 800 Array to make this an effective comparison to PT800/PS1400 stacks.

Since I've got the SAMs, I didn't jump for the 800 Arrays when the opportunity presented (nor am I jumping now), and I don't know what I'd do with them if I did have them. They certainly would not supplant my Performance stacks, as I'd need five 800 Arrays and four subs to get the same full range surround power. Maybe mate them to PS1400s? Nah.

At that point, I might as well get 1400 Arrays with the full size horns. Thus, it would never end.
    Out.

It never does really end, does it? (talking 'upgraditis')

I've seen it written (by 4313B IIRC) that the 800 Array plus a good sub is quite a nice package. Of course, you'd need a sub for each 800 Array to make this an effective comparison to PT800/PS1400 stacks.

Since I've got the SAMs, I didn't jump for the 800 Arrays when the opportunity presented (nor am I jumping now), and I don't know what I'd do with them if I did have them. They certainly would not supplant my Performance stacks, as I'd need five 800 Arrays and four subs to get the same full range surround power. Maybe mate them to PS1400s? Nah.

At that point, I might as well get 1400 Arrays with the full size horns. Thus, it would never end.

Well, I do have the PS1400's of course. Plus a Vandersteen sub to augment a bit more, if desired.

What I don't know is what, if anything, the larger compression driver brings to the 1400 vs. the smaller one in the 800.....

It never does really end, does it? (talking 'upgraditis')
    Of course it does unless you have unlimited finances or some kind of obsession. You just end up chasing your own tail after a while. The the higher up the chain you go the more expensive it is to get less and less improvement at substantially higher cost. Me I am done even if bigger and better comes along. Your not happy with what you have?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Me I am done even if bigger and better comes along.
    Rob
    I'd call you a liar, but then you'd just argue your way out of it. After all, I'm "done" too.
    Out.

We are all done until that collectible comes up on c-list for cheap!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    We are all done until that collectible comes up on c-list for cheap!
    I just went to the Tarzana iSoldIt and picked up another HTPS400. Why? It was cheap. It was (kind of) close. It fascinates me.

Heck, if there were an 880 Array there I would have gotten that, too. For me, I think upgraditis runs in both directions. I just got a 2431H for next to nothing, so maybe I'll make a clone of Rob's clones with my 045Be and the spare SAM horn, then stick that on top of a box with the HTI88 dual 8" drivers instead of an 880 Array.

--------------------------

However, I have sold four speakers in the last month.
    Out.

A Sk2-3300 Anyone?

For me, I think upgraditis runs in both directions. I just got a 2431H for next to nothing, so maybe I'll make a clone of Rob's clones with my 045Be and the spare SAM horn, then stick that on top of a box with the HTI88 dual 8" drivers instead of an 880 Array.
    Now this is the proper upgrade path: The 045Be, 435Be on a great horn, and a pair of killer 10" woofers!

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Now this is the proper upgrade path: The 045Be, 435Be on a great horn, and a pair of killer 10" woofers!

Widget
    That would fit nicely between the K2s I suppose.

It's good to see you posting a little more.
    Out.

Man, that thing might be cool in a pair as bedroom speakers!

Obsolete

A Sk2-3300 Anyone?

It looks nice but unfortunately it's way too expensive for something made outside the U.S.A.

Let's get real, if manufacturers are going to shamelessly exploit low cost labor then we consumers want in on the action too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Of course it does unless you have unlimited finances or some kind of obsession. You just end up chasing your own tail after a while. The the higher up the chain you go the more expensive it is to get less and less improvement at substantially higher cost. Me I am done even if bigger and better comes along. Your not happy with what you have?

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Actually I am very happy with what I have. As a matter of fact, I may be done. The Pair of Marantz monoblock amps have taken me by surprise on how they handle the 1400 Arrays. I wasn't really expecting that much of an performance enhancement over the McIntosh MC402. I am, in fact, delighted with the choice I made.

Thread Information