Thread: Precise Technology??

Precise Technology??

Has anyone here every heard or seen this brand before? I knew the drivers were phillips and figured I could get my money back. So i bought them to solve the mystery of who the heck this company is or was. Its just amazing that there is not one webpage on the net about them. The serial numbers are in the 500 range, this tells me they had to make more then one pair. They don't sound bad but they sound strange...the tweeter over powers the 8" fullrange drive...then the cabinet puked packing peanuts when I took them out of the car

I assume from your picture that the enclosure is a transmission line, no? I wasn't in the area when these speakers came out - probably late 80's/early 90's judging from their look. Orion blue book lists them as production 1980-1985, but that seems too old - I don't remember TL's being in fashion in the DIY/small production market then. I would also take a guess that the 000513 serial number does not suggest it is number 513 built, but probably #13 and they started at 500 so they wouldn't seem like newbies

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I assume from your picture that the enclosure is a transmission line, no? I wasn't in the area when these speakers came out - probably late 80's/early 90's judging from their look. Orion blue book lists them as production 1980-1985, but that seems too old - I don't remember TL's being in fashion in the DIY/small production market then. I would also take a guess that the 000513 serial number does not suggest it is number 513 built, but probably #13 and they started at 500 so they wouldn't seem like newbies

I am not sure what type of cabinet you want to call it. I was assuming it was a transmission line cabinet, judging by the port. When I removed one of the drivers, there was a shelf then a drop down to the port, then it was stuffed with batting. I think your correct on the year, these to me seemed like late 70's early 80's speaker. The system that was powering them was a 80's sony rack system(yuck I know ). Another thing that put me in that age range, was these looked to have had foam grilles, that have disintegrated, as there was no sign of them in the house and you can see evidence on the speakers. Oh that helps me a lot Well if that is correct and these are the no 13 and 14 made. That would make them the 7th pair marketed and model 1...sooo I can assume they never made it to model 2 Not sure what to do with the pair, will never find the grilles and then one side of each cabinet has veneer issues do to moisture. And frankly they sound strange

Orion listed a model one, two, and three. Sorry, you got the bottom of the line. If they had foam grills that would probably make 80-84 seem accurate, as that was the end of the foam era. I would put them in storage and wait for all the collectors that have been Googling "Precise Technology Speakers" for all these years looking for a pair to come calling, now that you've posted you have a pair. Congratulations on your imminent wealth and retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Orion listed a model one, two, and three. Sorry, you got the bottom of the line. If they had foam grills that would probably make 80-84 seem accurate, as that was the end of the foam era. I would put them in storage and wait for all the collectors that have been Googling "Precise Technology Speakers" for all these years looking for a pair to come calling, now that you've posted you have a pair. Congratulations on your imminent wealth and retirement.

Bunk, I got the experimentally model...the bugs still needed to be worked out. The last owner must have found them by the dumpster, behind their warehouse. hehe well if I can now retire with a great fortune, I better make reference to Western Electric oh looksy a Western Electric 300B tube in the cross over hehe I's still hoping to find a pair of Hartsfield's for 3 bills...Though I must say...I would have to sell and buy a house with them Ok going to go find a corner to stash these in.

Cool Dead old thread :/

Sorry for kicking a 6 year dead horse. Couldn't find any more info on these speakers except this corner of the internet, I've got serials 509 and 510. They sure are heavy!

Technologies always play a big impact

Indeed, technologies always play a big impact in the development of speakers. The woofers of these speakers are really superb and it sounds very good.

Thread Information