Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4435, 4430, 4425 in Control Room help please!

mileage

It is 150 miles from Lima Oh. to Milford Mi.

SteveW
    All of you guys that are willing to drive here are welcome. Milford is just over 1 hour from Toledo. It's gonna be a little while yet.... $$$$, but a good beating by some critical ear types could be helpful. The vinyl freaks will need to BYO gear. I'll have the red pop's.

Maybe Giskard will want to ride up with me one day and check it out................let us kow when you're ready for guests! Could be fun!!

SteveW
    Anybody have any tips for useful crossover mods while apart for repair? Has anybody tried an external 3-way crossover or? Thanks!

Ashly XR-2001

Originally posted by Steve Widman
    Has anybody tried an external 3-way crossover ...?
    Nice!

http://www.ashly.com/product/xr-series.htm
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

SteveW
    I'm confused as to how the existing crossover works to begin with. Biamp/triamp to me means no internal crossover, period. So if you biamp these the crossover is still in the loop? Is this so that the 2234 sees 100 Hz or something and below? Some high-pass set up? So what are they..... 2 1/2 ways then? Ignorance is on full throttle today

Well, your post suggested you were going somewhere else...

The series you mention are all two-way. And, the 4430-4435 can be a bit tricky due to the equalization issues, but can be bi-amped (from the brochure).

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by boputnam; 09-01-2004 at 11:18 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

SteveW
    Thank you.
    Yea, was going somewhere else, but I'm back now. Thinkin' to eliminate the crossover entirely, but wait... thought std crossover may have some kinda woofer split of it's own. Then one amp ch. could feed both woofers. I guess not, so if triamps the only way to go, are their lingering EQ issues referred to in the JBL data to contend with? Those cards mentioned....available?

Call it "Quasi 4-Way," if you like, the second 2234 woofer kicks in to augment the bass response via mutual coupling below 100 Hz.

The mid/high crossover cleverly splits the frequencies and attenuates them separately, as described above. That circuitry is not bypassed when biamping.

Looks like the mighty Giskard is on it, and we'll have the full scoop soon....
    Last edited by Zilch; 09-01-2004 at 12:42 PM.

SteveW
    Thank you.
    Yea, was going somewhere else, but I'm back now. Thinkin' to eliminate the crossover entirely, but wait... thought std crossover may have some kinda woofer split of it's own. Then one amp ch. could feed both woofers. I guess not, so if triamps the only way to go, are their lingering EQ issues referred to in the JBL data to contend with? Those cards mentioned....available?

Originally posted by Steve Widman
    ... thought std crossover may have some kinda woofer split of it's own.
    The 4435 has a low-pass filter on one of the LF's...

And, indeed - I too hope Giskard finds time to post a Network Primer, tonight (or tomorrow, or the next...).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

SteveW
    First of all I want to thank you guys for the info.

Ok, lets see if I got a grip on all this so far...... The unavailable biamp network card works in conjunction with the unavailable existing unit to retain some freq compensation feature that can't be duplicated via aftermarket x/over. So it's run my stocker in repaired form and maybe beg, borrow, steal or create a biamp card. Both of these units can be improved upon. It is worth the grief to biamp.

If all this is true....
    (1) How could you triamp then?
    (2) Where does a guy start in the search for x/over repairs, mods and creation of such cool-guy devices.
    (3) Are correct or equiv parts available to fix/build these?
    (4) Will JBL fix/mod/create without service parts?

As you can tell I'm not a electron wizard, but have friends that think they are close. Given schematics (with mods?) and a primer on the special bits, we may be able to stumble though.

Gee.. for a minute I thought I'd get off lucky - if spraying $ to fix is lucky - and just use a 3 way. Thanks again....

1) Rehab the drivers, check the crossovers, run them passive. They'll work fine.

2) If you are COMPELLED to mess, buy 5234A and the requisite cards when they come available on eBay or elsewhere (once or twice a year, typically, for the cards, the crossover more frequently,) and biamp them.

3) Several forum users HAVE biampped 4430's. Perhaps they'll post whether the improvement warrants the effort....

4) WHO started this, anyway?

ps: I've got dibs on Paul D's crossover if Figge don't want it....
    Last edited by Zilch; 09-01-2004 at 05:56 PM.

Nice work, Giskard, as always - thanks.

And, Steve:
    Maybe best is simplest here, and you should go back to first principles. There are simply too many solutions with too many variables.

Going back to where this started, get the transducers reconed as needed, and then for the networks you know are toast, source a replacement either on eBay or here, using some DIY sweat-and-love.

The elements of your rig are too highly engineered to try a moonshot - IMO, you'd be happier and better off trying to re-establish Ground Zero.
    Last edited by boputnam; 09-01-2004 at 08:37 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

SteveW
    Giskard, I will contact you via PM regarding persuasion. Thanks

Thread Information