Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jbl ls series (toronto/canada)

Jbl ls series (toronto/canada)

Comment on JBL LS-80 loudspeakers.........
    I did a private demo with Bryston and the LS-80 speakers last night. The customers words were this was the best speaker he heard comparing to many other supposed audiophile brands the last few weeks.(Clear,Transparent,uncolored) to be exact.It ended up with a purchase of the ebony rosewood finish.As a retailer I am happy to offer the LS Series because not everyone can afford K2 or Everest.

Way to go JBL

www.altronicsstereo2000.com

Nice.

That's good to hear, since comments on the LS have not all been positive. If there's a trend that's developing, it seems that high quality electronics make a huge difference as does the listening environment. Assuming you had them set up very well--as I'm sure you did--your client had the chance to hear them at their best.

I've heard this same result from folks who've used them with high end gear in a good set up, and virtually all the complaints have stemmed from people hearing them in-home hooked up to "my trusty ol' Denon whatever" set up in the same position as the old speakers with no treatments or care for other issues, or they've been in dumpy or overcrowded showrooms with 10 loudspeakers lined up all in a row.
    Out.

Thanks Titanum..

Well just for fun I ran the Krell S-300i Integrated and the S-350 source and a customer came in from New Brunswick Canada and ended up taken a pair with him home at the end of the 5pm demo. But they were the LS-60 the smaller floorstander. He originally was looking at the Studio L-890 But the LS series outperformed them. I really feel the Ls-80 is a bargin for the quality of sound it can reproduce even at the lowest of level it is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    or they've been.... overcrowded showrooms with 10 loudspeakers lined up all in a row.
    guilty here. I said some pretty rough things about the LS80 in this situation, minutes after listening to the 4338, S4800 (though these had fully dedicated setups). though I still stand by the B&W right next to them sounding infinitely more clear
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    guilty here. I said some pretty rough things about the LS80 in this situation, minutes after listening to the 4338, S4800 (though these had fully dedicated setups). though I still stand by the B&W right next to them sounding infinitely more clear
    Well, I wasn't thinking of you... oh wait, yes I was !

Ok, kidding. The weird thing is how speakers in different positions even in the same room can sound better or worse. I'm fully educated on that with the K2s. In the first several placements, I was doubting my purchase and questioning my sanity. When the positioning finally came together it was like magic.

With those great sounding XPL200s downstairs, if I swap them with the placement of the SVA2100s, the XPLs lose a lot, and the SVAs sound worse. Placed as they are, both sets have much improved performance. The L100s down there sound better on the taller SVAs than on the shorter XPLs.

Who knows what your experience would have been if the JBLs had been in a different place and the B&Ws as well? They might have sounded the same, might have sounded better, might have sounded worse, or one could have improved while the other degraded. Since Harman/JBL built its MLL where the automatic speaker movers place speakers in the exact same locations for blind listening tests, it's one of the few places one could easily compare different brands in identical set ups.

In that situation, I blindly chose the JBL each time.
    Out.

Thanks Titanium I think we are on the same page. When I was visiting Northridge I also went into the blind listening room. There were B&W's and others but under 3 separate tests I always ended up giving the JBL speaker the highest score. I will just say the others were not good enough overall IMO.

Also I think the Ls-80 dollar for dollar are superb. Kinda like BRYSTON.
    They must have won the EISA award for (European loudspeaker of the year)for some reason.

I concede I need to hear them again in a dedicated setup--they were heard in an open large room, with a row of probably 12 speakers side by side, inches between them at best.....for the record it was the recessed mid-range that was THE complaint, and others chimed in with the same after I posted.

Of the sets I heard and could not afford (E2, K2, 4338, 4800), I was especially looking forward to the LS and TS8000 being more in my range, so the disappointment elicited some scathing commentary.

Though from other positive comments and awards, I do wish there was a chance to hear them as the featured set like the Altronics Stereo 2000 layout
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post

Also I think the Ls-80 dollar for dollar are superb. Kinda like BRYSTON.
    They must have won the EISA award for (European loudspeaker of the year)for some reason.
    ron,

if you don't mind, can you give me LS 80s MSRP in Canada? just to get a sense of its competition..thanks.

No Problem...

The LS-80 Are $4200.00 Cdn dollars a pair. Originally they were supposed to be $5999.99 and they lowered them to that when they hit Canada. Where are you in Canada? Stop by I would love to play them for you if you are local.

I guess I just love to do demos..........

If you get me going I may even pull out the K2's

The last time someone did that for me (Widget), I ended up buying the darn things.

I've been broke ever since.

Well, not really; it's not like I spent my last dime. I still had enough to buy him a cheap lunch and a ring for Huiky.

If you ever get to LA, Widget, I'll get you a real meal.
    Out.

No Problem...

The LS-80 Are $4200.00 Cdn dollars a pair. Originally they were supposed to be $5999.99 and they lowered them to that when they hit Canada. Where are you in Canada? Stop by I would love to play them for you if you are local.

I guess I just love to do demos..........

great ron.

i'm in toronto, i'll make time to visit your lair one of these days....i've set my sights on the 1400 array actually which i first heard in 2007......but i'm taking my time..i don't have the space for it yet.....i'm curious how the ls80s sound though and how it stacks against the bigger boys..

All I ask is that people call me ahead of time so I can set things up.

www.altronicsstereo2000.com

My own comment on the LS-Series. I find it totally Sad that most Audiophiles will not recognize The JBL badge as High end. I feel you will hear very few products at this quality and price point that will compete. Get over it better is better or go pay double the price with whatever logo. I even invite customers to bring other brands in for A/B comparisons and so far my feelings hold true.

OH YES Happy Thanksgiving.

My own comment on the LS-Series. I find it totally Sad that most Audiophiles will not recognize The JBL badge as High end.
    I have only heard the LS80s. We ordered a pair for one of our customers and I got to break them in for him... so I had them at my home for a few weeks. They are not 1400 Arrays or K2s, but for $3K USD, they are pretty damned impressive. Of course with the folks on this forum that means they have to compete with 4435s and L300s... they don't do what those bigger speakers do, but they look very refined and will fit in a normal room and sound a hell of a lot more "real" than any of the competition that I can think of.

Widget

Thanks for your comments Widget. Man 4435 or L-300s, Thats some really stiff competition. I think the 4435 and L-300s use some major 15 inch drivers. As far as current models from other Manufacturers I think the LS-80 are a serious BARGIN.
    I have a pair of 4425 here when I get a chance I will compere them to the Ls-80's just for fun.But I think the Ls-80's look a little better in a home.

Thread Information