Thread: 2482 diaphragms in 2441?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2482 diaphragms in 2441?

Will 2482 diaphragms fit in 2441 drivers? I know there are locating pins that are in the wrong position but presumably the diaphragms can be modified. Is there an issue with the clearance in the gap? I have 2441 drivers (complete) and a pair of NOS 2482 diaphragms.

I really want to hear what midrange horns are capable of in the home environment. My thought was to make a pair of wooden horns with a good contour (Tractrix, LeCleac'h, Oblate Spheroid, etc) to operate in the range 300 to 3k+ Hz region. If that sounds promising then fill in the bottom with push-pull slot loaded woofers and a tweeter of some kind on top with active crossovers. I currently have a triamp setup for a Linkwitz Phoenix-type system with Hafler DH220 power amps and a smaller 20W bipolar class A amp for duty where appropriate.

If the 2441 driver can be pushed as low as a 2482, remembering that this is home, not PA, use, then I would consider using them as-is. It is also tempting to re-edge the 2215B drivers that I have and put them to use in the 100 to 400 Hz range as direct radiators. I listen to rock, blues, jazz, some acoustic no classical to speak of. I have no complaint about the Phoenix-type loudspeakers but I do want to experience a system with the presence of horns and with real mid-bass impact. Oh, smallish space 11x19x8 ft wdh.

Thanks.

There are many threads that discuss this issue in depth - the search function, even though primitive, will find them.

In short, no. the gap is slightly wider, the pins AND mounting screws are spaced on larger diameters.

only the phenolic can go that low and even then at much reduced power. remember that any crossover used will still allow significant power to go to the diaphragm at frequencies BELOW that "300" point.

buy a pair of 2482/85 magnets and remember physics isn't a suggestion - a 300hz horn would be HUGE.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    ..... only the phenolic can go that low and even then at much reduced power. remember that any crossover used will still allow significant power to go to the diaphragm at frequencies BELOW that "300" point ...... buy a pair of 2482/85 magnets and remember physics isn't a suggestion - a 300hz horn would be HUGE. sub
    I agree (with experience),
    A "real" 300Hz horn wth driver 2482 & phenolic is "fine real music" ...

Thread Information