Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: K2 S5800 and K2 S9800SE on sale

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    你懂我说的话吗

My girlfriend's mom is half Chinese and half Korean. 맙소사 나는 둘 다 알아야 한다!

It's crazy!

Here are a few words about the K2 S9500. It is a good design in the M-T-M fashion, but refined. Its advantage is great imaging at a central point. Some background is here:

http://www.birotechnology.com/articles/VSTWLA.html

I find it enjoyable, but its drawback is that the tweeter and UHF height can be too low unless the enclosure is elevated or tilted to bring the HF/UHF drivers close to ear height. Otherwise, I slouch in my chair to get the "sweet spot."

If I did not have the K2 S9900 pair in my home, I would have jumped on the K2 S9500 even before the K2 S9800. At the clearance price it would have been irresistible. It is a beautiful looking speaker. It sounds beautiful, too.

EDIT: I meant to write S5800.
    那我确实不懂你说的中文希望你的女朋友多教你一些汉语
    If only the height of the S9500 is too low,it's not the shortcoming at all for me.S9900 must have many improved.
    46 lover

那我确实不懂你说的中文

Lost in translation then.

希望你的女朋友多教你一些汉语

She has a hard enough time teaching me Hangul (Korean).
    Out.

UPS just dropped a pair of 800 Arrays off at the house. If they're still there when I get off, I'll give 'em a whirl!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    UPS just dropped a pair of 800 Arrays off at the house.
    Did you order them or did UPS just happen to have a pair on the truck and picked your house to unload them at?
    If they're still there when I get off, I'll give 'em a whirl!
    Well hopefully they will be and you can tell us all about them!

They shipped last Friday, just been waiting until they actually got here to say anything.

But these came in full-on stock packing, already assembled, and in perfect condition.

I'll get them hooked up and playing shortly.

They are just as cute as they can be! Smart looking and surprisingly heavy.

OK, these things are some kind of clean. As I imagined, they aren't going to blow the doors off the house as far as loud, but they are just incredible little buggers on some nice jazz. Piano, sax, cymbals, right there in the room. Just beautiful sounding.

That's why I tried so hard to get 2 of those clearance priced PS1400 subs, these have the mid and highs covered in spades.

My first new JBLs in decades, and all I can say is... damn.

You can see 250tis right behind these. No comparison. With a 14" woofer below these, they'd eat the 250ti for lunch and spit out change. Let's me know I need to clean the funk out of the 044ti, update the X-over, both, something. There's so much more info coming from the 800 Array.

Impromptu set up, card table chairs for speaker stands, an old TV stand for the amp.

My dad's old MCS 6720 (Technics SL-Q3) table, AT95HE cart., PS Audio GCPH phono stage, Pass XP-20 pre, Pass XA30.5, JBL 800 Array.

Sounds great!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Sounds great!

So you'll agree then when I say that Greg's been busy?

You've got some great electronics feeding them. No doubt they're giving you their best. Congrats!

As for the 250Ti... it's had its day.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

So you'll agree then when I say that Greg's been busy?
    You guys kept telling me, but no. I was confident I had some pretty good speakers.

Ignorance ain't bliss, boys.

And what really sucks is... the runts of the litter are doing the ass kicking.

Now it's Oppo BDP-83SE, digital into Bryston BDA-1, XP-20, XA30.5, 800 Array.

I'd been griping forever that that dang Oppo 83SE just didn't have the sound I thought it should have. So I got a Bryston DAC. Better, but not as good as the turntable. Well fiddlesticks, it sounds excellent now. And the turntable sounds even better.

Sucks being an idiot out in the sticks. The "don't believe everything you read on the internet" thing kept me boxed in. I got fairly decent front end stuff and just couldn't wrap my head around how much my speakers were holding me back.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    Not $500 nice. But nice.
    They're a little bit disappointing with those exposed voice coil gaps but the cost on the raw drivers is $34 each so one can't expect too much. By comparison, the 8-inch in the 800 Array costs twice as much and the 8-inch in the SAM2LF costs four times as much.

I'll probably put each driver into a 1.1 cubic foot sealed box with polyfill (instead of fiberglass) and hope nothing ever makes its way into the gap. They should work fine in a little 5.2 computer sound system. I'll use five little Tannoy 4" DC's for the surrounds. It should be fun.
    And what really sucks is... the runts of the litter are doing the ass kicking.
    I thought it was interesting that Greg stated that they were considered the best balanced of the Series by the various listening panels.

OK, these things are some kind of clean. As I imagined, they aren't going to blow the doors off the house as far as loud, but they are just incredible little buggers on some nice jazz. Piano, sax, cymbals, right there in the room. Just beautiful sounding.

That's why I tried so hard to get 2 of those clearance priced PS1400 subs, these have the mid and highs covered in spades.

You can see 250tis right behind these. No comparison. With a 14" woofer below these, they'd eat the 250ti for lunch and spit out change. Let's me know I need to clean the funk out of the 044ti, update the X-over, both, something. There's so much more info coming from the 800 Array.

Impromptu set up, card table chairs for speaker stands, an old TV stand for the amp.

My dad's old MCS 6720 (Technics SL-Q3) table, AT95HE cart., PS Audio GCPH phono stage, Pass XP-20 pre, Pass XA30.5, JBL 800 Array.

Sounds great!

This is where I bought mine. Mine were not B stock and I paid less, for what it's worth.

http://www.msshifi.com/crazy-super-i...fer-black.html

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    and the 8-inch in the SAM2LF costs four times as much.
    And cannot be obtained

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post
    This is where I bought mine. Mine were not B stock and I paid less, for what it's worth.

I just bought something from them. It came pretty quickly from the East Coast to the West Coast, and it was perfect. I'm not saying what it is yet, but it was less than half what I paid for the same item a little while back.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post

Were they new or used?

As for B stock... it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. For the most part B stock gear is equipment that was sent to CES or some other show and then was boxed up and shipped back to the warehouse... it is almost always in virtually brand new condition. JBL has been funny about labeling brand new never opened merchandise as B stock just so that they can dump it at deep discounts. I have no idea why they do it, but they seem to do it whenever they want to clear out a line of products.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Were they new or used?

As for B stock... it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. For the most part B stock gear is equipment that was sent to CES or some other show and then was boxed up and shipped back to the warehouse... it is almost always in virtually brand new condition. JBL has been funny about labeling brand new never opened merchandise as B stock just so that they can dump it at deep discounts. I have no idea why they do it, but they seem to do it whenever they want to clear out a line of products.

Widget

I should be more clear; they were claimed to be new and they were. Whether JBL dumped them as B stock I don't know. However, right after I bought mine MSS updated the listing, now noting them as B stock and raising the price.

Thread Information