Thread: George Shearing

George Shearing

George Shearing, 91, the virtuosic jazz pianist who wrote the standard "Lullaby of Birdland," died of cardiac arrest today in New York.

Shearing, who was blind since birth, launched his career in his native England before moving to the U.S. after World War II and becoming one of the most successful and enduring jazz musicians of his generation.

On the Ivories, he was capable of many different styles, from dynamic bebop to a quiet but insistent swing. He played with larger groups but attracted his greatest attention for an excellent quintet he fronted for decades. The quintet had such hits as "September in the Rain" and "Lullaby of Birdland," the second of which he wrote in 1952 and named after the celebrated New York jazz club.

from WaPo - http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...-pianist-c.htm
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I hate to say this but I didn't know he was still with us until today.

Always been a fan. Spinning this now -- it's a great album because it's George solo (and the version of Mack the Knife is superb):

Name:  2011-02-14 19.51.59-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  18.4 KB

Will follow with his early Capitol release of Greatest Hits, and then the Nat King Cole Sings, George Shearing Plays album which oddly I just listened to the other night after not having played it in forever.

Thread Information