Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who uses their vintage speakers as "daily drivers"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Having scanned these forums, I am in awe of the impressive, and enviable collection of vintage JBL loudspeakers.
    Given the relative scarcity of critical components namely drivers and such, I can`t help but wonder if these speakers are in daily use.
    I for one would not be able to resist the urge to use them on a daily basis however, given the age of some of these units, I`d be more than a little apprehensive to do so.
    I`m guessing most of these speakers are used in second systems with something more modern, but not necessarily better, serving as daily drivers.

I`m considering assembleing a vintage system centered around a pair of 4312`s or perhaps 4411`s driven by some classic Marantz power but I dont think it would replace my current
    Rega/Magnum Dynalab/Krell/Opera system for daily use.
    I just cant see a system of that vintage being able to stand up to that kind of duty, especially when in the mood for elevated SPL`s but I could be wrong..

Thomas' reply was perfect ("You are sooooooooooo wrong!). Here, we hardly listen to anything else. Every room has a little bit different sound. Living room - 4350B, master bedroom - L220, second bedroom - 4333, third bedroom - L150, front porch sitting area - Control 29, back patio - Control 30, garage - L110, studio - 4345. Kitchen is built-in Boston Acoustics. Pathetic by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by locanti View Post
    I use a pair of original DORIAN daily in my bedroom when listening radio broadcast or cool CD's, level is 85/90Db and I use my main system(compose of LE15A,D216,LE75/85 and fostex tweeters) more or less 105/110Db twice a week(to spare my ears,I'm 50).

My daughter listeniing "modern loud music"(But no rap) on her pair of homebuild LE14C and said they're just great for the music she loved.

I guess these kind of drivers were strongly build, as were CADILLACS in the 50's.Look how many of these cars are still running daily in CUBA and you'll know what I mean.
    I like the Cadillac reference. The thing is, these 70s-80s times were the heydays of the great speakers somewhat like the mid 60s were the heydays of the muscle cars. A lot of us were young then, and now we're driving up the prices of both vintage speakers and vintage cars, probably for the same reason: we're getting older and we have those great memories of getting laid in the back seat of a '67GTO or in front of the fireplace listening to "One Stormy Night" on a pair of L100s. And now we want to recapture that whole experience.

Disclaimer: not talking about myself at all here.

I have a pair in my office, which is my main listening area. I drive then with a Crown PS200. In addition, I use a JBL LSR4312SP sub. Soundcraftsman 20-12A EQ.
    To my 60 year ols Rock'n'Roll abused ears., it sounds GREAT !!!

I've got L 112's,L 166's,and L 65's,L 96's,and one or the other gets driven everyday. They have been providing pleasure for many years,and many more years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    I just cant see a system of that vintage being able to stand up to that kind of duty, especially when in the mood for elevated SPL`s but I could be wrong..
    What sort of SPL are you talking about? My system can do over 130dB during parties and other inebriated listening sessions.

wow. Threshold of pain. Hearing damage likely.

Don't think I'd want to be there for long without some ear plugs.
    The concussive effects might be entertaining.

Isn't that nearly 10,000watts x2 for a pair of L150 cabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    What sort of SPL are you talking about? My system can do over 130dB during parties and other inebriated listening sessions.
    you get my vote as biggest abuser on the forum since JBL's max power rating for L150s are 300 wpc

(might not even be music at that level ?? )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post

When I was young and stupid I had 500 watts/channel driving four large DIY JBLs with compression drivers and 15" woofers. I did measure 127dBA at 3 feet with a calibrated SPL meter... it was damned loud. I have had the capability to repeat that in recent years, but never felt compelled to give it a whirl.

Widget

The older JBL systems were almost always designed with dynamic range as a priority and you might be surprised to find that many of them have greater dynamic capabilities than modern speakers. They are generally quite capable of daily use.

Mike

it's what they're made for. Curtis Mayfield bumping on the 4345s as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    wow. Threshold of pain. Hearing damage likely.

Don't think I'd want to be there for long without some ear plugs.
    The concussive effects might be entertaining.

Well, 130dB at 1.5cm/300W... it computes

The fronts on my HT are L150A's and they are driven with 500 watts RMS. When playing music the amps can run just below clip but I would not want to run it like that for too long. It is just too damn loud. At that volume it is dead clean also.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    Nowhere near that kind of level, I`m 48 and reside in a condo after all

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Well, 130dB at 1.5cm/300W... it computes
    Texas headphones! Ouch.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Time to move the L20T3s out??

I had one set as side surrounds in my TV room, until I put the L100T's in their place downstairs.
    I had another used as speakers on my Mac, driven by an HK740 receiver, for internet radio, music, whatever.

We have been using them daily, but separately, and have been very pleased with them.
    Now, a friend is interested in getting a surround system - perhaps they could be a good start!

I've never had them in the same room at the same time before - what do you think?

PS - Teddy is a rescue cat, a previous owner had him declawed, so the grills are safe ... but there is Himalayan fur EVERYWHERE!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information