Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses their vintage speakers as "daily drivers"?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who uses their vintage speakers as "daily drivers"?

Having scanned these forums, I am in awe of the impressive, and enviable collection of vintage JBL loudspeakers.
    Given the relative scarcity of critical components namely drivers and such, I can`t help but wonder if these speakers are in daily use.
    I for one would not be able to resist the urge to use them on a daily basis however, given the age of some of these units, I`d be more than a little apprehensive to do so.
    I`m guessing most of these speakers are used in second systems with something more modern, but not necessarily better, serving as daily drivers.

I`m considering assembleing a vintage system centered around a pair of 4312`s or perhaps 4411`s driven by some classic Marantz power but I dont think it would replace my current
    Rega/Magnum Dynalab/Krell/Opera system for daily use.
    I just cant see a system of that vintage being able to stand up to that kind of duty, especially when in the mood for elevated SPL`s but I could be wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    I`m considering assembleing a vintage system centered around a pair of 4312`s or perhaps 4411`s driven by some classic Marantz power but I dont think it would replace my current
    Rega/Magnum Dynalab/Krell/Opera system for daily use.
    I just cant see a system of that vintage being able to stand up to that kind of duty, especially when in the mood for elevated SPL`s but I could be wrong..
    You are, sooooooooo wrong.

Thomas

Daily use of the 4341s for music, plus movies and TV -
    (they are the fronts of my Home Theatre system as well!)

slightly less often use of the upstairs L200-plus speakers for music-only ...
    (and occasional with mac Airport-Express for internet radio and such)

What is the point of owning such glorious speakers if you don't USE THEM ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    What is the point of owning such glorious speakers if you don't USE THEM ...
    you beat me to it HJ .... the big Ti's are smooth and dynamic as ever....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I tend to be somewhat of an advocate for the "newer" stuff, but vintage JBL's still get played in my house on a near daily basis.

Just bear in mind they require care and feeding, some of which can be expensive, some of which can require you to bide your time to find the right parts, etc. That said, if they're up to spec, there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be able to handle the same power and produce the same SPL's as they could the day they were new.

All of my JBL's are 25 years plus. They get used daily in my main system. To be honest, the current range of speakers that everyone can afford just do not stack up.

Allan.

The older stuff is so much more efficient than most modern speakers, you can play them to uncomfortable levels with little strain on them. That said, my "Vintage" speakers are 70's and 80's monitors; I'm not cranking techno on a pair of Iconics. Parts are still available for most of these "Newer" speakers, though you have to keep an eye on the secondary market (EBay) sometimes for spares, just in case. I make sure not to abuse them or drive the amps into distortion, though this is never an issue; my ears give out way before the speakers or the 150w/ch Bryston I usually use do. I think JBL is a rare case in that their vintage home speakers often used the same drivers JBL sold for pro use and touring through the 60's and 70's. They were made to play loud and to be serviced. Try that with other companies vintage speakers and you'll be ordering aftermarket 4 1/2" recone kits by the 9 pack...

I'm more inclined to really push any of my 80's L-series models HARD than I would be most newer speakers. That said, I use my PS system and abuse it regularly the most.

I've pushed up to 1000 WPC into L-series models and they didn't even bat an eye over it. 400 WPC is the daily dose of power. I wouldn't try that with the newest L-series, (L890, etc). All the older JBLs are designed to withstand extreme abuse. You're more likely to damage the crossover than anything else, and even those can be repaired with cheapish parts. As long as you're not under-powering them, let it rock.

The members in this forum come together to discuss the use of the JBL equipment by and large. No many would even think to try to disuade you from using JBL equipment on a daily basis. These things are made for use, not like some Ming vase to set on a shelf or a fondue set to bring out for 70's parties. You don't have to relegate them to particular vintage theme system. Give them a good source and amplifier, sit down and listen. Listen loud? Certainement!
    David F
    San Jose

My oldest JBL's - the Sovereign's are in daily use driven by the TV. The main system is almost in daily use.

The Sovereign's are rarely stressed.

Even though I tend to listen at lower SPL's these days, the main system do get to play quite loud. But then again, I probably can't stress them since there's only some 15-20W driving the Mid/HF section and 150-160W for the woofers.

Am I afraid to kill them? - no.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

I use a pair of original DORIAN daily in my bedroom when listening radio broadcast or cool CD's, level is 85/90Db and I use my main system(compose of LE15A,D216,LE75/85 and fostex tweeters) more or less 105/110Db twice a week(to spare my ears,I'm 50).

My daughter listeniing "modern loud music"(But no rap) on her pair of homebuild LE14C and said they're just great for the music she loved.

I guess these kind of drivers were strongly build, as were CADILLACS in the 50's.Look how many of these cars are still running daily in CUBA and you'll know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I'm more inclined to really push any of my 80's L-series models HARD than I would be most newer speakers. That said, I use my PS system and abuse it regularly the most.

I've pushed up to 1000 WPC into L-series models and they didn't even bat an eye over it. 400 WPC is the daily dose of power. I wouldn't try that with the newest L-series, (L890, etc). All the older JBLs are designed to withstand extreme abuse. You're more likely to damage the crossover than anything else, and even those can be repaired with cheapish parts. As long as you're not under-powering them, let it rock.
    i'll try to remember not to buy any JBLs from you..

Five L46s - daily use in basement theater system.
    HP420s - daily use in bedroom system.
    L110s - used most weekdays as monitors in studio's control room.
    4333As - used a couple times a week in living room system.
    4401s - used occasionally for remote recording gigs, or on the video editing desk.
    TR225s - used occasionally during rehearsals & parties.
    L50s - used occasionally for playback during recording sessions.

The TR225s & HP420s are fairly modern, but the rest of them are all from the '70s.

je

Quote Originally Posted by polar_bear_0104 View Post
    i'll try to remember not to buy any JBLs from you..
    Maybe he was talking about Watts PMPO

If it's in my house, it's going to get used, and used as I want to use it. If it requires special handling and can no longer take the pressure, then I don't need it.

The James Gang said it pretty well: Made loud to be played loud.

This isn't a rest home for old speakers. It's a home for those that can keep up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Thread Information