Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who uses their vintage speakers as "daily drivers"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Oh my, these responses are encourageing. Seems my apprehensions are shifting more towards potential amplification rather than driver failures.
    Equally encourageing is how no one seems to think twice about how often or how hard they drive their loudspeakers.
    After all, it would be quite a shame to be in possesion of a pair(s) of classic, vintage JBL`s only to have them on static display.
    Not that I listen to excessive volumes, being 48 years old and living in a condo, most of my listening for the past 20 or so years has shifted to the Jazz genre but I do, on occasion pull out some Metallica or Boston and head for the volume-up button

Perhaps a few more replies will be enough to push me over the edge!
    I listen to jazz almost daily through my 4343 studio monitors in bi-amp mode in basement, and 4311B in the living room.
    This four-way 4343 were the king of the speaker systems in the 1970s to Japanese jazz fans, they say. If you haven't had chances to listen to 4343 or its upgraded version 4344, especially as you seem to be a jazz fan like me, just go for them. You'd like them very much.

Daily use of the 4341s for music, plus movies and TV -
    (they are the fronts of my Home Theatre system as well!)

slightly less often use of the upstairs L200-plus speakers for music-only ...
    (and occasional with mac Airport-Express for internet radio and such)

What is the point of owning such glorious speakers if you don't USE THEM ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    What is the point of owning such glorious speakers if you don't USE THEM ...
    you beat me to it HJ .... the big Ti's are smooth and dynamic as ever....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Mona Lisa !

Vintage JBL's are nice to look at , but that was not the first consideration when designed .
    Mine are on all day every day. Properly maintained, there is no reason why they shouldn't outlast us all .

In my experience , its amplification that causes more damage to speakers . A good quality signal will
    extend the life of any speaker vintage or new .

Personally , I don't advocate the use of vintage amplifiers , especially those originally designed for PA use .

enjoy, relax and get good amps .

Rich

most of my listening for the past 20 or so years has shifted to the Jazz genre but I do, on occasion pull out some Metallica or Boston and head for the volume-up button
    I use my 250ti daily, Miles Davis to Metallica, Bill Evans to Boston, and they are also the fronts on my HT so they get all the explosions off movies, to boot.

All day, every day....

My 120Ti's are in my office and used 10-12 hours a day, every day. The 250Ti's are used less - maybe 8-12 hours per week but always get "the cobwebs blown out" on Saturday am when they rock the house as we do the weekly cleaning.

Power them well and re-foam every 20 years -that's about it....

jblnut

Regis
    The 4315's were giving us a pounding yesterday! Listening to Shinedown (imagine Nickleback vocals, with Metallica speed and guitars, yes, it's really good), but man, my best bud and his son were over and we had him between us on the couch. It was plenty loud and we had to turn it down at some point, because you can only take so much!

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I'm more inclined to really push any of my 80's L-series models HARD than I would be most newer speakers. That said, I use my PS system and abuse it regularly the most.

I've pushed up to 1000 WPC into L-series models and they didn't even bat an eye over it. 400 WPC is the daily dose of power. I wouldn't try that with the newest L-series, (L890, etc). All the older JBLs are designed to withstand extreme abuse. You're more likely to damage the crossover than anything else, and even those can be repaired with cheapish parts. As long as you're not under-powering them, let it rock.
    i'll try to remember not to buy any JBLs from you..

Five L46s - daily use in basement theater system.
    HP420s - daily use in bedroom system.
    L110s - used most weekdays as monitors in studio's control room.
    4333As - used a couple times a week in living room system.
    4401s - used occasionally for remote recording gigs, or on the video editing desk.
    TR225s - used occasionally during rehearsals & parties.
    L50s - used occasionally for playback during recording sessions.

The TR225s & HP420s are fairly modern, but the rest of them are all from the '70s.

je

Quote Originally Posted by polar_bear_0104 View Post
    i'll try to remember not to buy any JBLs from you..
    Maybe he was talking about Watts PMPO

If it's in my house, it's going to get used, and used as I want to use it. If it requires special handling and can no longer take the pressure, then I don't need it.

The James Gang said it pretty well: Made loud to be played loud.

This isn't a rest home for old speakers. It's a home for those that can keep up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I use my 250ti daily, Miles Davis to Metallica, Bill Evans to Boston, and they are also the fronts on my HT so they get all the explosions off movies, to boot.
    Ditto on the daily driver 250Ti's here, I also turned off the center channel and went phantom with great result. I also run one set of L112's in the office 8-12/day at times, a small set of l15's on the desk for some listening, second set of L112's in the mancave and then all the others get rotated in on various gear periodically for more listening pleasure. The thought of acquiring vintage JBL to only look at them never crossed my mind.

Cool

Not that I listen to excessive volumes, being 48 years old and living in a condo, most of my listening for the past 20 or so years has shifted to the Jazz genre but I do, on occasion pull out some Metallica or Boston and head for the volume-up button

Perhaps a few more replies will be enough to push me over the edge!
    Over the edge yet?

I'm in "Toned Down" mode right now with the L-150A's playing Stanley Clarke's East River Drive", very nice. I thought for a minute that one of the 12's was not sounding right this afternoon on track 4. So I brought in a 2235 sub and tried it on the same passage. It's the recording naturally. But now I've got to finish the second 2235 sub so I can try out the pair tomorrow, right now I've got one 200W channel pushing about 5 watts into the 15, and the other 200 watts just waiting for a speaker to drive. Tomorrow may get a little loud! "But it's LOW bass, it won't SEEM loud."

Last week, I would have said that the L-150's don't need a sub, now I'll have to say they don't _NEED_ one, but...

BTW, I can't live without a big KNOB for the volume, we don't need no Up-Down buttons! Well on a remote maybe...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Over the edge yet?

I'm in "Toned Down" mode right now with the L-150A's playing Stanley Clarke's East River Drive", very nice. I thought for a minute that one of the 12's was not sounding right this afternoon on track 4. So I brought in a 2235 sub and tried it on the same passage. It's the recording naturally. But now I've got to finish the second 2235 sub so I can try out the pair tomorrow, right now I've got one 200W channel pushing about 5 watts into the 15, and the other 200 watts just waiting for a speaker to drive. Tomorrow may get a little loud! "But it's LOW bass, it won't SEEM loud."

Last week, I would have said that the L-150's don't need a sub, now I'll have to say they don't _NEED_ one, but...

BTW, I can't live without a big KNOB for the volume, we don't need no Up-Down buttons! Well on a remote maybe...

Over the edge you ask? Absolutely!
    I know what you mean about the volume knob versus button thing. I`m running a Krell 300i integrated, an outstanding amp btw.
    The only feature I don`t like about it is the lack of a volume knob.

The 250ti's are on all day every day. The 4340's are used maby weekly, it all depends what you want to listen to.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Thread Information