Thread: 43xx,44xx parts

43xx,44xx parts

Hi All,
    First time poster but lifelong JBL fan
    I`m considering picking up some of the above mentioned vintage monitors, maybe even an L series.
    Due to age, I`m concerned about replacement part availability, drivers,diaphragms,cone kits etc.
    How would one go about getting these parts?
    Forgive the newb question.
    TIA

Lurk.

Most of the stuff is no longer available, much of the parts are discontinued or in the slow process of being discontinued. However, like old cars there is a thriving secondary market. Between Craigslist, Ebay, and the Marketplace here, an amazing number of things show up over time, though you have to take this as a hobby, be patient, and wait. If you buy a set of monitors, set up searches on Ebay for parts for it, or scan regularly. Buy NOS recone kits if you see them, even if you don't need them yet, as when you need them, they'll be hard to get. I will say that the thing I learned most is that nothing is "One of a Kind, super rare, you'll never see this for sale again!" in JBL monitors. If you see one but don't like the condition, unless you're looking for a project, pass on it - eventually another will come up that may not need veneer work or recones. Patience is a virtue, impatience is expensive. Good luck, and post pictures for us to drool over when you find that cheap, mint pair of 4344mkII's on Craigslist, located a mile away from you

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Most of the stuff is no longer available, much of the parts are discontinued or in the slow process of being discontinued. However, like old cars there is a thriving secondary market. Between Craigslist, Ebay, and the Marketplace here, an amazing number of things show up over time, though you have to take this as a hobby, be patient, and wait. If you buy a set of monitors, set up searches on Ebay for parts for it, or scan regularly. Buy NOS recone kits if you see them, even if you don't need them yet, as when you need them, they'll be hard to get. I will say that the thing I learned most is that nothing is "One of a Kind, super rare, you'll never see this for sale again!" in JBL monitors. If you see one but don't like the condition, unless you're looking for a project, pass on it - eventually another will come up that may not need veneer work or recones. Patience is a virtue, impatience is expensive. Good luck, and post pictures for us to drool over when you find that cheap, mint pair of 4344mkII's on Craigslist, located a mile away from you
    Thank you kindly for the reply. You confirmed what I had suspected.
    It`s unfortunate that there is not a JBL equivalent to Great Plains Audio.

Thread Information