Thread: Home Theater Issues

Home Theater Issues

Hi Guys,
    I am trying to simplify my HT set up but I cant seem to resolve this little issue & I was wondering what you guys thought. Right now the HT system & the Stereo system are both independent of each other.

Here is the basic problem....
    I would like to use the 4345s (which are stereo only at present) for home theater use (simple enough of a request) but I dont know if its do-able? The thing is, this particular pair of 4345s are bi-amp only. That means I cant use the Denon HT receiver to feed a signal to the 45s (not that I'd want to, but...) and the bi-amp set up is not equipped to split the signal for HT use, hence the "issue"

The existing stereo set up (see picture) is...CD>Pre>Ashly>Amps>Speakers.

What I cant figure out is how to use/introduce the signal coming out of the Denon HT receiver into the Ashly (or would it go to the Pre-Amp?) so that it could be sent on its merry way to the speakers. Robh and I were discussing this but could not figure it out without pulling cables everytime I wanted to hear one set up or the other (ie: stereo or HT) and that is not something I want to do.

Right now as you can see I have the L5s hooked up to the Denon HT receiver and they work fine (along with a pair of L166s on the sides which cant be seen in the picture).
    I was using the 4430s (instead of the L5s) before but now that the 4345s are in service thats just not an option and it does not resolve the problem. Ideally I would like to just have the xx45's in front of the tv, it would just look a lot neater I think.
    I dont know if this is feasable without some sort of specialized equipment???

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    What I cant figure out is how to use/introduce the signal coming out of the Denon HT receiver into the Ashly (or would it go to the Pre-Amp?) so that it could be sent on its merry way to the speakers.
    Your Denon receiver should have 5 or 7 channels of pre outs (plus sub or subs). If it does not have pre outs it is a very low end model and you should upgrade anyway.

You take the L and R pre outs from the Denon and send them to an AUX input on your preamp, select AUX on the preamp and adjust it's volume to balance the rest of the system. Very simple. I do it all the time. This way your dedicated 2 channel system is unmolested and for HT use, the additional gain stage (or perhaps passive in this case) won't noticeably pollute the sound.

Widget

Denon AVR-2310CI

Hello Mr. Widget,

I looked in the back but frankly I'm not sure which ones it is that I'm supposed to hook into.
    Are they supposed to be labeled Pre out?
    The only outs that I see are the phono, zone 2, DVR & VCR I've tried them all but got no sound coming out of the speakers ?

Just Play Music.

In the bottom center I think I can see a sub out (black connector) but can't read the rest, what model is this?

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Hello to progress

more HDMI inputs = Less analog inputs/outputs. You do not have preamp outputs for anything but subwoofer. You need a set of front ("Main") preamp outputs. I don't see a workable, high quality solution but to upgrade your fairly new receiver to the next model up--Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I don't see a workable, high quality solution but to upgrade your fairly new receiver to the next model up--Sorry
    Yep.

I have to admit that I am not particularly familiar with the plethora of Denon AVR models, but I never recommend any AVRs that do not offer pre outs... not that they are always needed, but typically the models that omit this feature are lacking elsewhere as well.

A work around would be to buy a speaker level to line level converter, but that would be a compromise on top of a likely compromised AVR already... I would recommend looking for a better AVR or keeping the system as it is. For most soundtracks, having a killer pair of front speakers isn't as big an improvement as you might think.

Widget

Thanks guys!
    Progress is right! I'll probably leave it as is for now, it is a fairly new unit (already discontinued, amazing isn,t it).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yep.
    I never recommend any AVRs that do not offer pre outs... not that they are always needed, but typically the models that omit this feature are lacking elsewhere as well.
    For most soundtracks, having a killer pair of front speakers isn't as big an improvement as you might think.

Widget
    My main reason for trying to use one set of speaker was mainly to clean up the clutter and also so that I did not have a pair of speakers next to the 45's that might be resonating when music is cranking. This will have to do for now, its fine, Im not going out & buying another receiver. I'll keep the pre outs in mind in the future if & when I go for another receiver.

Thanks again, enjoy the weekend guys
    Just Play Music.

non-starter (line level stuff only passes thru from analog sources)

manual, p56.

"it is not possible to play the digital audio signals input from the HDMI, COAXIAL,
    or OPTICAL terminals in ZONE2."

same deal on p16 regarding trying to use the VCR or DVR outputs

sorry to

Maybe not the most elegent solution but, does that thing have a headphone jack in the front? If so you could get low level analog out from there, variable but,,,
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

manual says:... cuts out all the other outputs (speaker -and- line level)

Who the hell reads the manual?!? Just kidding.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thanks anyway Grympy & Audiohack
    I came to terms with the situation overnight, I might look to use a set of L15 up front to try & downplay the whole two sets of speakers thing. If I ever look for another unit I'll try and find a more straightforward design, this thing (like many things today) just does too much, I'm surprised it doesnt make pop corn as well.
    Just Play Music.

Use the Zone 2 output (it's left and right only) to feed your electronic crossover and select both Zones 1 and 2 simultaneously.

toddalin
    Use the Zone 2 output (it's left and right only) to feed your electronic crossover and select both Zones 1 and 2 simultaneously.
    2 problems with that. First, the Zone2 output will be full stereo (including center channel information), so you'll have dialog coming out everywhere. That's the lesser problem.

Second, there is a delay on the audio to all Zone1 channels in a surround receiver - things like Audyssey EQ take time, so the receiver delays the video a little so they sync (on a good day, anyway). Zone 2 is analog and goes straight through the receiver, no delay, so you would hear everything out of the 4345's before you hear it out of the other speakers and out of sync with the picture. It's really annoying, but seems to be the state of receivers these days...

How about buying a new Marantz AV7005 Preamp - not bad for $1,500 retail, or the Yamaha RX-A2000 also has a good sounding preamp out.

Thread Information