Thread: Digital to analog audio converter for HDTV

Digital to analog audio converter for HDTV

Brought home a 32" Toshiba HDTV yesterday and was surprised to discover that there is no analog audio output. Delightful. Even called the Toshiba customer service center to verify what I had been reading in the set-up manual. Yep, no analog audio out. So, either I swap for a similar Sony, which does seem to have the analog feature or find a digital to analog converter. There is one manufactured by a company called Gefen for approx $60 but the reviews are varying. So, does anyone have experience with this problem? Recommendations? Gotta hook up the JBL rig to the TV - not an option! No home theatre, just two channels for hi fi. Experience, ideas? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Brought home a 32" Toshiba HDTV yesterday and was surprised to discover that there is no analog audio output. Delightful. Even called the Toshiba customer service center to verify what I had been reading in the set-up manual. Yep, no analog audio out. So, either I swap for a similar Sony, which does seem to have the analog feature or find a digital to analog converter. There is one manufactured by a company called Gefen for approx $60 but the reviews are varying. So, does anyone have experience with this problem? Recommendations? Gotta hook up the JBL rig to the TV - not an option! No home theatre, just two channels for hi fi. Experience, ideas? Mike
    I'm guessing your TV source is off air stations, right?

Usually I've fed audio out from the source device - CATV converter,
    Dish Net Box, TIVOHD, etc ... into a receiver and that feeds the JBLs
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'm guessing your TV source is off air stations, right?

Usually I've fed audio out from the source device - CATV converter,
    Dish Net Box, TIVOHD, etc ... into a receiver and that feeds the JBLs
    Yes, I believe "air head" is the term! Thanks for the reply/info, I wouldn't have thought of that - but will remember when/if I go airless! But, here's the re-e-est of the story: I went over to the TV guy (Best Buy) and told him the haps and he said, no, you don't want to mess with an additional, non-standard converter - they can cause noise problems or worse. We'll just swap for the equivalent Sony and then you can do analog or digital. Great tech, painless exchange. Thanks again. Mike

Yes, it seems they save money on connections. My wife brought home a 55" LG with the same issue.

As a temporary solution I have connected it to the stereo through the headphone connection on the TV. It works, but they have somehow managed to make the sound soooo thin.

As a more permanent fix to this I have bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-new-version...#ht_7106wt_907 (24/192 DIY dac)

This will keep the TV as the hub for both image and audio.

Anyway - I haven't got time yet to install it (I have planned a life for it inside a new pre-amp). With the 24/192 dac chip i hope it will take most digital input signals.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    24/192 dac chip
    How many channels does it have?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Yes, I believe "air head" is the term! Thanks for the reply/info, I wouldn't have thought of that - but will remember when/if I go airless! Thanks again. Mike
    Yep, my parent's house was mid-way between Baltimore and Washington. with a good rotor there were 30+ TV stations off-air ... in the 70s when a storm came though, sometimes late at night I could DX York, PA, Wilkes Barr, and, rarely, Phillie - tho I suspect HDTV signals (many being UHF) don't travel as far as the old VHF signals did ...

Here in Fairfax, 7 years ago, before I bought my Philips (CRT) HDTV, I experimented with a vintage Winegard UHF antenna & channelmaster rotor mounted on a pole just above ground level for testing. If I had a brick and mortar chimney it would be on the roof for Network reception today - but alas, I don't, so its CATV for us ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    Yes, it seems they save money on connections. My wife brought home a 55" LG with the same issue.

As a temporary solution I have connected it to the stereo through the headphone connection on the TV. It works, but they have somehow managed to make the sound soooo thin.

As a more permanent fix to this I have bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-new-version...#ht_7106wt_907 (24/192 DIY dac)

This will keep the TV as the hub for both image and audio.

Anyway - I haven't got time yet to install it (I have planned a life for it inside a new pre-amp). With the 24/192 dac chip i hope it will take most digital input signals.
    Interesting. I checked the ebay link. That's a neat way to go about it, integrating into an amplifier. I feel sorry for the non technical folks - how do they make sense of it all? Ck out Krunchy's thread above in Technical Help. No perfect solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    How many channels does it have?
    TIA

Thread Information