Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4345 clones. Let the games begin!

Obsolete
    1. I plan on going full passive with bi-amp option and the switch thing as I will be using quality grade parts for the x-overs. I don't plan on going active. Will the switch thing be needed in that case?
    No.
    3. Inductors. The 4344 mk2 schematic notes using iron core and air coil inductors. Giskard in his equivalent used only air coil from what I see in the pic below (left side, courtesy Giskard):
    Those networks you are looking at are bi-amp only networks.

I use iron cores on the 2245H and 2122H as shown in this "in progress" photo of the final revision of the full passive 4344/4345 equivalent network with bi-amp option.
    4. L-pad inductors (on pic, courtesy Giskard). Is it possible to buy this stuff anywhere? Or will putting in a huge 3.5mH inductor and 10watt resistor be just as good or even better?
    The total DCR has to match. However you accomplish that is your choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you so much for the input! It clears thing up a bit.

The hardest question still remains: #7. Crossing the upper 3-way and 2245. It is clear to me that the LF part of the 4344 mk2 is not suitable for the 2245. Can I simply put in the LF section from the 3144/3145 CC equivalent (maybe some tweaks) or is it a no go. I still hope it is doable as my crossover plan for these beasts is based on the theory that it is possible

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    The hardest question still remains: #7. Crossing the upper 3-way and 2245.
    Do yourself a favor and install an active crossover between the woofers and the top 3 drivers. Problem solved. Your 2245's will be very pleased connected directly to a power amp.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

It's been so many times I've changed my mind on this subject. Finally, I shall go active. Should be cool. I previously thought and now again am thinking of ordering this kit: http://marchandelec.com/xm1.html
    That a nice psu an elegant enclosure will cost no more than jantzen caps for the LF passive filter.

Thank's for the input and sorry for being a pain in the... but asking questions is more productive than shooting into the dark.

Obsolete
    It's been so many times I've changed my mind on this subject. Finally, I shall go active. Should be cool. I previously thought and now again am thinking of ordering this kit: http://marchandelec.com/xm1.html
    That a nice psu an elegant enclosure will cost no more than jantzen caps for the LF passive filter.

Thank's for the input and sorry for being a pain in the... but asking questions is more productive than shooting into the dark.
    I'm glad you saw the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm glad you saw the light.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Ditto
    Yes, you won't regret it. It is a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    Do yourself a favor and install an active crossover between the woofers and the top 3 drivers. Problem solved. Your 2245's will be very pleased connected directly to a power amp.

That is some really great advice Johnny !
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

I'm killing the project

I was really horny for the idea of building 4345 clones. Now, when the only driver missing in my cabinet is the 2123h i decided to kill the project. I'm sure even though most of you don't care I still will explain. I'm into diy since I was 7 that makes me a diy'er with 15 years of experience. Every project I approach is executed with clinical attention with extensive R&D in the time of preparation for such a project. This forum and it's content created by the users was very inspirational and the help provided in reply to my many questions invaluable. Digging even deeper into the topic of loudspeaker building one thing led me to another and now I have a different goal. Unfortunately I'll not be using any of the drivers collected for this new project.

JBL 4345 are still a dream of mine and I will become a proud owner of a mint pair sooner or later. I shall not be satisfied with a pricey and not quite original copy. Would I drive in a Ferrari copy? No. Neither will I copy JBL studio monitor speakers.

Open baffle - here I come!

Cheers, Maciek.

Open baffle - here I come!
    You can't just tease us like that and call it done!

I can think of a dozen or so reasons not to live with a pair of 4345s... but open baffle?

I have a lot of respect for Siegfried Linkwitz and others who have gone this route... I have yet to hear one that I would want to listen to exclusively though.

Please tell us more! Perhaps in a new thread.

Widget

Obsolete
    I'm sure even though most of you don't care I still will explain.
    Mr. Widget cares!

Oh, and a pair of 801 urei's appeared locally availible just after my post. I might go ballistic buying again. Shure I'll smack a new thread when there'll be anything to show. The OB might even consist of a pair of 18" JBL's to make it LH worthy.

Thread Information