Thread: John Barry: Remembering the Bond theme composer

John Barry: Remembering the Bond theme composer

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/31/jo...heme-composer/

The maestro behind one of the most memorable themes in movie history has been silenced. John Barry won five Academy Awards during his remarkable 50-year Hollywood career, but the legendary composer will always be best remembered for the catchy surf-rock theme that introduced the dashing, debonair exploits of British superspy James Bond.

Just bought one of "his" albums yesterday

only slightly OT...these are fun

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,271877,00.html
    http://www.ew.com/ew/game/voxpop/0,,....g=xrta2210000
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL 4645
    Barry, John Barry may have been silenced but his scores, will live on in our hearts and memories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12321610

The lush brilliance he gives to his work has such beautiful elegance that touches the soul.

It’s not fair to equal his work to just a few popular scores all, of his scores work in the same way.

The touching score of Dances with Wolves is hunting as well as triumphal in parts with tearfully sorrow as the loan wolf on the mountain hollows!! Brings tears to my eyes because the score is working its magic to the onscreen images.

Thanks John Barry for lovely written scores over your lifetime...

Out of Africa has a mystic about the opening, that’s just the way I feel about the score. I guess its different for every person. The score moves colourful bright images onscreen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGl0x...eature=related

The sweeping score that moves over the computer like animated grid in The Black Hole is WOW on the opening it takes, me personally into a virtual black hole with sub bass turned up to the correct level!

His scores are greatly remembered for James Bond, 007, licensed to kill.

I like OHMSS the score is so Bond like with tight bass guitar that reverberates the room. Horns stings and other electronic instruments is taking Bond into a new era from 60’s into the 70’s and the cold war still continues on…

The score on A View To Kill with Bond and mad Max Zorin, fighting on the golden gate bridge is instance LOL Hold on Stacy!

John Barry last Bond score was The Living Daylights. (1987) from then onwards it was scored by David Arnold another Bond fan of the masters work.

When I play the film Mercury Rising (1998) I rise the level for emotional feeling its an underrated scored that touches deeply.

This Kong Score Has Mighty Touching Feeling. Saw this at the cinema with my dad and WOW my first time seeing a King Kong film on big screen other than the original on TV in academy ratio, this one was in Scope! The score is one that sticks in the mind! It plays the fears the excitement and the emotions.

Nice low end sub bass on the main titles!

This one had to be posted! Yes Howard the Duck!

He has left behind a marvellous work of accomplishment for “us” to listen too.

R.I.P. John Barry 007 licensed to score forever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barry_(composer)

John Barry was born in York, England in 1933, and was the youngest of three children. His father, Jack, owned several local cinemas and by the age of fourteen, Barry was capable of running the projection box on his own - in particular, The Rialto in York. As he was brought up in a cinematic environment...
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000290/

I like movie soundtracks, and Barry was ST royalty....

Goldfinger , You only Live Twice , from Barry and Crimson Tide from Zimmer are some that get multiple playings...and Elfman's Batman

currently relistening to YOLT and Barrys compositions are very evocative of their assigned scenes ...the mark of a great ST score maker

*YOLT is the one with Connery in Japan with "Little Nellie" and the fake volcano evil lair..

and the cool Toyota 2000GT roadster (and I like Nancy Sinatra's vocals)

YOLT is my favorite as well - from the politically incorrect idea of "First Mr Bond, you must become Japanese" on, of course, Little Nellie, and the volcano ninjas ...
    Plus, script was by Roald Dahl!

Wiki sez: For a brief period in the 1960s, Dahl wrote screenplays. Two – the James Bond film You Only Live Twice and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – were adaptations of novels by Ian Fleming, though both were rewritten and completed by other writers.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I like movie soundtracks, and Barry was ST royalty....

*YOLT is the one with Connery in Japan with "Little Nellie" and the fake volcano evil lair..

and the cool Toyota 2000GT roadster (and I like Nancy Sinatra's vocals)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Wiki sez: .
    I went link hopping from your Wiki link and somehow arrived at the funniest movie (outside of "What up Doc ?? ) that I had forgotten about....now have "Whats Up, Tigerlilly" coming down...

ST sucked tho...

I gotta finish up S5 of House M.D. and get back to real movies.... I was a big Sherlock Holmes fan in the past and now find Greg House to be entertaining.

House is critically acclaimed and has high viewer ratings. It was among the top-ten rated shows in the United States from its second through its fourth season; in the 2008–09 season, it fell to nineteenth overall. Distributed to 66 countries, House was the most watched television program in the world in 2008.

I went link hopping from your Wiki link and somehow arrived at the funniest movie (outside of "What up Doc ?? ) that I had forgotten about....now have "Whats Up, Tigerlilly" coming down...

ST sucked tho...

I gotta finish up S5 of House M.D. and get back to real movies.... I was a big Sherlock Holmes fan in the past and now find Greg House to be entertaining.
    Have you seen the update Sherlock Holmes the BBC did last year?
    Its a sort of mini series of 3 films in contemporary times ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_%28TV_series%29

Its the kind of thing you like, if you like that sort of thing ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Have you seen the update Sherlock Holmes the BBC did last year?
    Its a sort of mini series of 3 films in contemporary times ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_%28TV_series%29

Its the kind of thing you like, if you like that sort of thing ...
    No, but I'll check it out...thx ........ (I think I see my son in that London pic)

that Robert Downey CGI fest of Sherlock last year looked like a monstrosity to be avoided.

"House M.D." has a friend named Dr. Wilson ,,,,SH's was Dr. Watson
    they both have street address of 221b
    House=Home=Holmes
    both drug addies etc..etc..

but interesting

Plus, script was by Roald Dahl
    was impressed with JOHN Dahl's directing..

Oh yeah,,,,funny..in addition to the 2 "Whats Up" flix...can watch Dr. Strangelove over & over...

(on the B52 , just b4 Slim is released is the music "The Bomb Run" - done to "When Johnny comes marching Home" is by Laurie Johnson which is my way of tieing this thread back to media themes ...since LJ also wrote the theme to "The Avengers" ... (DR was my Emma..) ..in dreams

(on the B52 , just b4 Slim is released is the music "The Bomb Run" - done to "When Johnny comes marching Home" is by Laurie Johnson which is my way of tieing this thread back to media themes ...since LJ also wrote the theme to "The Avengers" ... (DR was my Emma..) ..in dreams
    As the story goes,
    Emma Peel was a character written to have "M Appeal" (male appeal) ...

bond theme composer

The "surf" theme as it was called here is actually credited NOT to John Barry but to Monty Norman. There was some contention between Barry and Norman as to who actually wrote it, but it has been credited to Norman in every single Bond movie. BTW it was originally played by an English guitarist named Vic Flick... Vox AC15, YEAH!

from HDtracks

On January 30th, 2011, the great film composer John Barry passed away. Best known for his iconic James Bond scores, the Songwriters Hall of Famer and five-time Oscar®-winner also scored such classics as Born Free, The Chase, Dances With Wolves and Midnight Cowboy. HDtracks is proud to pay tribute to one of the all-time great composers of film music.

YOLT is my favorite as well - from the politically incorrect idea of "First Mr Bond, you must become Japanese" on, of course, Little Nellie, and the volcano ninjas .
    I went library surfing and they had the "James Bond Ultimate Edition" 2 disc copy of YOLT ... gave it a try and the vid remastering was first rate ....the audio was much enhanced and the dynamics seem to have been restored

Enjoying most "extras disks" , & exploring the "Making Of" featurette , it turns out that the Japan volcano Secret Lair (JvSL) was the largest set ever produced at Pinewood ..it was also Sean Connery's last OFFICIAL Bond film

On the scene with Japanese women pearl divers , they couldnt find any actresses that could swim ..so Seans Australian wife put on a brunette wig and doubled ...

This was (IMHO) the last great classic JB film before the silly Roger Moore era .... tho I do enjoy the Daniel Craig renditions....and even the ones that Pierce did...

More John Barry

couple of weeks ago picked up "The Ipcress File" , but havnt had time to view , tho good memories....you guessed it ...soundtrack by JB.

its fun to see a young/trim Michael Caine .... the flick was in almost 16x9 , sound dynamics were very good and the story/presentation/acting was better than many current offerings.

will have to start looking for "Funeral in Berlin" and any other Harry Palmer flix.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059319/

In London, a counter espionage agent deals with his own bureaucracy while investigating the kidnapping and brainwashing of British scientists.

A number of leading Western scientists have been kidnapped only to reappear a fews days later. Unfortunately, each scientist has been brain washed and is now completely useless. The British send their agent, Harry Palmer, to investigate. Palmer is surprised to be selected for such a mission (considering his past) and believes he has been chosen because he is expendable. Written by Dave Jenkins <[email protected]>

JBL 4645
    She gave of herself…for 40 years she dedicated her life…generously…

Ray, takes off his sunglasses thinking WTF? Is this young girl preaching about?

I like chapter 21, the John Barry score wow it sounds haunting, and the slow movement of the piano with strings. Ray looks mighty pissed off when he looks in the coffin, to find that May, pulled a fast one.

The soft voices of choir chills up the scene tremendously when Ray, and May come face to face for the first time.

Why did you do this?

I wanted to meet you.

It almost sounds like something from Dances with Wolves or one of the James Bond films hmm, Moonraker and something Jagged Edge?

I picked up the entire Bond series original sound tracks on FLAC ...they are not the cute record releases, but the entire scores ..just finished "On her Majesty's secret service OST" , and this is where you hear Barry's genius ....the tracks have scene titles and you can just visualize the scene and how well the music fits...in the later ones, without Barry, they are good, but just not the same ....as well as the movies where Binder & Adam were absent ...

watched the hour+ extras on Diamonds Are forever, the crew that crafted these films were very unique .....Flemmings original stories were not that great ... the Broccoli / Connery / Adam / Barry team really did craft silk purses from sows ears...

(please do not insert any screen caps or embedded vids after here)

Thread Information