Thread: refoaming l96

refoaming l96

i just bought a set of mint l96s but they need new foam is this something a novice like me can do or should i send it to a pro like gordonw. id like to learn how to do this but dont want to do damage to the voice coil. i heard that jbls are a little tricky and how do you shim the voice coil? thanx brad

Quote Originally Posted by brad6285 View Post
    i just bought a set of mint l96s but they need new foam is this something a novice like me can do or should i send it to a pro like gordonw. id like to learn how to do this but dont want to do damage to the voice coil. i heard that jbls are a little tricky and how do you shim the voice coil? thanx brad
    Hi Brad6285

Rick Cobb is the preferred supplier for new foam kits, you can find him on e-bay.
    You dont have to remove the cone or mess with the coil when refoaming, theres a fantastic sticky thread in the DIY section done by Botumen from memory & Rick also provides step by step instructions including a 30hz alignment c.d that centres the voice coill without the shims etc that come with other nasty kits.
    Give it a go, its very rewarding.

Cheers wayne.

we have refoam kits for you at www.refoamkits.com. they come as a kit pair with two foams, two dustcaps, one glue, shims and instructions, single kit, or single foams only.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Hi Brad6285

Rick Cobb is the preferred supplier for new foam kits, you can find him on e-bay.
    You dont have to remove the cone or mess with the coil when refoaming, theres a fantastic sticky thread in the DIY section done by Botumen from memory & Rick also provides step by step instructions including a 30hz alignment c.d that centres the voice coill without the shims etc that come with other nasty kits.
    Give it a go, its very rewarding.

Cheers wayne.

Why use shims? I have refoamed a few using the 30 hz method, why all the extra work? If your method is better, I'm all ears.

Alot of people do not use shims and have success. When we refoam a speaker, we use shims in at least 95% of our refoaming because we feel it is the better way to assure a successful repair, especially if you use a contact glue (which we think is much more durable) over a white latex type of adhesive. (There are certain speakers that must be refoamed without shims due to the nature of the model speaker itself.)
    If you take the time to carefully center the speaker using a low freq signal then you should be fine. Most people do not do this. When someone contacts me saying they refoamed their speaker, but still have a rattle, they almost always did not use shims or a signal to verify proper centering. Of course, sometimes they have a bad voice coil or ripped spider or defective glue bond...
    I've been repairing speakers for 33 years and I'm just saying......
    hey, different strokes and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    Why use shims? I have refoamed a few using the 30 hz method, why all the extra work? If your method is better, I'm all ears.

Thread Information