Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jbl 4435 with 2405 and sub 1500

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Are the Be drivers really so superior? I don't think so
    perhaps their curve maybe excellent,but we enthusiasts are only fond of old JBLs which with special temptation and sound tasteful
    As much as it pains me to write it (see my moniker), yes they are superior.

Some of us JBL enthusiasts are fond of newer JBLs with better drivers, crossovers, cabinet materials, and sound.

The old gear is enjoyable and distinct to its time and place. I'm just not very nostalgic, except for my L100s.

Joe, your work is impressive. Congratulations. It makes me want to get rid of the puny, stock 4430s in my office .
    Out.

Hello, JoeNelis,
    nice system
    and the everest DD55000 ????

Are the dd55000 surround speakers for your hc ?
    Regards Stephane

The Grass !

Are the Be drivers really so superior? I don't think so
    perhaps their curve maybe excellent,but we enthusiasts are only fond of old JBLs which with special temptation and sound tasteful

The grass is not always greener on the other side , but , alas sometimes it is .....

I have owned pretty much all the big sought after vintage JBL's - I miss the 4435 the most . Guido put a TD 2001 in his - I never heard them , but if I ever get to Athens I will surely knock on the door of the new owner for a listen .

I never had a problem with the top end , I did slap the the woofers a couple of times .

My opinion is simply this ..... the 2405 was around when the 4435 was designed and yet it was not used . I trust David Smith on this one - and my own ears . The 4435 enjoyed the longest production time of any JBL studio monitor . What other endorsement could anyone ask for ?

As far as Be is concerned , you should try it before making any judgement . In my experience ,its the most cost effective upgrade anyone could make . Just search the forum and read what the users of Be have said . There aint anyone going back , and there are one or two of us that would also consider ourselves enthusiasts .

For what you spent on the enclosure ,plus the cost of the 2405 and crossover mods , you could of perhaps purchased a pair of Be based drivers .

Just my opinion this , but nevertheless , opinion based on actual experience and not folklore !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    The grass is not always greener on the other side , but , alas sometimes it is .....

I have owned pretty much all the big sought after vintage JBL's - I miss the 4435 the most . Guido put a TD 2001 in his - I never heard them , but if I ever get to Athens I will surely knock on the door of the new owner for a listen .

I never had a problem with the top end , I did slap the the woofers a couple of times .

My opinion is simply this ..... the 2405 was around when the 4435 was designed and yet it was not used . I trust David Smith on this one - and my own ears . The 4435 enjoyed the longest production time of any JBL studio monitor . What other endorsement could anyone ask for ?

As far as Be is concerned , you should try it before making any judgement . In my experience ,its the most cost effective upgrade anyone could make . Just search the forum and read what the users of Be have said . There aint anyone going back , and there are one or two of us that would also consider ourselves enthusiasts .

For what you spent on the enclosure ,plus the cost of the 2405 and crossover mods , you could of perhaps purchased a pair of Be based drivers .

Just my opinion this , but nevertheless , opinion based on actual experience and not folklore !

Rich
    No experienced, no say(Chairman Mao once said)
    Since some people have tried Be drivers,and think they are better,just have a try
    personally,I don't like JBL moderen products,if we pursue exact sound,there are a lot of brands could be chosenDynaudio;Genelec;Yamaha and so on.
    We just like the sound of JBL 075,076,077,175,275,375,2235,D,K,E series,especially Alnico
    46 lover

No experienced, no say(Chairman Mao once said)
    Since some people have tried Be drivers,and think they are better,just have a try
    personally,I don't like JBL moderen products,if we pursue exact sound,there are a lot of brands could be chosenDynaudio;Genelec;Yamaha and so on.
    We just like the sound of JBL 075,076,077,175,275,375,2235,D,K,E series,especially Alnico
    Hi Martin,
    you have a point , but you mention Pro studio monitors, the most highly rated are the Westlake and Kinoshita ( Rey Audio ) both rely on Tad Be for the mid range . I like the Genelec stuff , It think it sounds great for Digital mastering, but I prefer horns and for horns there is not a better diaphram material.

Since I started to use Be I have heard things hidden for 20 years by other materials .

PS, I think you'll find Be in the top vintage Yamaha monitors !

Rich

Be all you can Be!
    Out.

Rich - when you stated above that the JBL you most missed was the 4435 did you typo and mean the 4345? I can't see the 4435 in the same ballpark despite its undeniable "sweetness" and semi-great bass. I understand it had a long run but so did the Vdub Beetle and GM X-cars...
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by remusr View Post
    Great idea to add the 2405! My 4430 & 4435's are very interesting sounding, almost sweet compared to my L300's, L100T & 4345's. But they definitely are difficult to distinguish instruments & detail as they have zero hi-end.
    The 4430-35 are rather unique to the studio monitor line as they are the only models that I can recall that are voiced differently--they lack the forward voicing renowned by JBL, The articulation that is inherent in the traditional JBL response is an integral part of what an engineer is listening for. The majority of decision making is based around this region of the sound spectrum as it tells you where to place and the degree of 'closeness' each instrument lies in the spatial spectrum. Or as you have said, "difficult to distinguish." I used to have a pair of 4430's-- hated to work on them but, found them pleasing to listen to.

Nice Horn !

Roy,

My point being , rather than do that to the cabinet I would have changed the CD for Be . The horn out performed the 2307 bugle even when I had TAD 2002 on it . Now, the 2002 on the butt cheeks would have been interesting indeed .

I think I was too hasty to dismiss my 4435 to Germany without exploring their potential more .
    The bass was a little light - perhaps more of a placement issue than component issue .

The 4345 was more about " show and tell" than actual listening enjoyment.

I still crave a vintage blue baffle for nostalgic purposes, but after using a more modern JBL design , I could not allow a blue baffle into any so-called " reference system"

Just my opinion, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi Martin,
    you have a point , but you mention Pro studio monitors, the most highly rated are the Westlake and Kinoshita ( Rey Audio ) both rely on Tad Be for the mid range . I like the Genelec stuff , It think it sounds great for Digital mastering, but I prefer horns and for horns there is not a better diaphram material.

Since I started to use Be I have heard things hidden for 20 years by other materials .

PS, I think you'll find Be in the top vintage Yamaha monitors !

Rich
    Hi Rich,(I want to be rich too)
    I'm also horns and big drivers lover(I once had a 18' 4698B).
    Are you sure Westlake and Rey all use Tad Be as their mid drivers?Besides,like Oceanway,JK(made in Taiwan),Orgue Archon, Augspurger etc. great horn systems ,they are too expensive for most of us
    Are you sure there is not a better diaphram material but Be?As I konw, Kharma use ceramic as HF diaphram.
    High resolution and wide frequence response are important characteristics of moderen speakers,but as i'm not a studio master,i don't very care about these,i just want to please my ears.
    BTW,as far as i konw,JM Lab uses Be in its UTOPIA speakers for many years.
    Tomorrow night will be Chinese New Year's eve,Happy Chinese New Year!
    46 lover

Tom Hindley

Martin,

I guess this guy is behind the designs I rate highly .... The early Westlake and Eastlake used JBL large format CD's ..... they were superseded buy the TD 4001 and subsequently the TD 4003 .

I have heard Ceramic tweeters ,but not ceramic diaphrams for CD's. Perhaps the material is just not suitable .

I am, by no means, an authority on the subject , but have heard enough till feel my opinion has some grounding in experience . There are some people here that have forgotten more than I will ever know .

Happy New Year Martin and family !

Rich

Tomorrow night will be Chinese New Year's eve,Happy Chinese New Year!
    Happy New Year!

Are you sure there is not a better diaphram material but Be?As I konw, Kharma use ceramic as HF diaphram.
    Who makes the best tweeter and what type is certainly up for debate.

From a pure physics/scientific aspect the best material is undisputedly beryllium. For a high frequency device you want rigidity and low mass. Be is the fourth element on the periodic table of elements below Hydrogen, Helium, and Lithium... Magnesium is 12, Aluminum 13, and Titanium is way down at 22. These atomic numbers show the relative mass of these materials. The atomic number has no bearing on a material's stiffness, but in the case of these four elements the stiffness also follows with Be and Mg being the most stiff followed by Al and Ti being the least stiff... ceramics can be very good, but they tend to be more massive than Mg and certainly more massive than Be.

Widget

Thread Information