Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ti10k Journey

Ti10k Journey

So, I recently decided to buy a pair of Ti10k's from JBL's tenthouse/sideshow/bargain basement online store. Admittedly, the decision was driven not because I had longed for these speakers for years, or even necessarily as part of a quest for sonic bliss. Rather, it was a combination of an impressive driver line-up (I already know I like the mid) curiosity, ridiculously low price, and the fact that I think they look cool. Best case scenario, I love them and they go into the "statement system." Worst case scenario,they're not my cup of tea, and they get taken down into the basement which I have plans to re-finish into an Eames-esque lounge type environment. Win/Win, right?

I pulled the trigger on 1/10, and shipping confirmation came via e-mail on 1/12, which I thought was a great turnaround. I checked the UPS tracker religiously day-by-day waiting for them to come. All I kept seeing was a message that the shipping label had been created, but that the items were not in UPS' possession.

Yesterday, I called Harman with two questions. One was why the order confirmation had two different model numbers: Ti10KBE and Ti10kBE-Z. Short answer is the "-Z" designation means a factory re-furb, so even though both speakers were listed as refurb's, one is actually new. Cool!

Second question - when are they going to ship? Answer "Let me transfer you to my supervisor" Ummmm ... OK. 10 minutes later I hear "Thank you for calling technical support, how can I help you?" I explain to the guy that I'm not sure how I wound up in tech support, but I was just trying to figure out when my order was going to ship. He was pleasant enough, and tried to be helpful. His response was "That's weird - they're coming from Georgia, and it looks like they were put on the truck, then taken off again. They've had some ice down there, so that's probably the delay." I asked him if he had any idea when they'd be put back on the truck, and he helpfully suggested that while he didn't, I could track the shipment online. Thanks!

Bear in mind that exchange was yesterday afternoon. So, what to my wondering eyes should appear today but the UPS truck. And what should come off the back but one big-ass box with a JBL logo on it. I literally leapt from my office chair, scrambled downstairs and opened the door. In contrast to my prior post about UPS, this guy could not have been nicer! Let me state that again -- could not have been nicer or more helpful. Long story short, he actually helped me carry them into the house.

Scary sight number one: One box had appropriate shipping straps around the carton, and one did not.

Scary sight number two: One flap of the box actually opening while it was being taken of the truck. The tape holding it closed had apparently given way to the strain of containing a 100+lb loudspeaker. Imagine that.

Scary sound number one: Actually hearing the unit jostle around inside one of the boxes while the UPS gentleman and I brought it up the steps to the house.

Scary sight number three:
    Name:  2011-01-19 09.34.57 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3861
Size:  47.6 KB

Downright disgusting sight number one:
    Name:  2011-01-19 09.31.13 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3912
Size:  78.1 KB

Thus begins the journey. Needless to say, there will be no listening notes posted tonight. An e-mail went to Harman within 1/2 hour of receipt of the shipment, complete with pictures documenting the box, the "shipping protection," and the destroyed tweet. Suffice it to say, I've had eBay sellers do a far better job of packaging JBL's, and that's just downright disgusting when you're talking about buying direct from the manufacturer.

Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    So, I recently decided to buy a pair of Ti10k's from JBL's tenthouse/sideshow/bargain basement online store.
    Worst case scenario,they're not my cup of tea, and they get taken down into the basement which I have plans to re-finish into an Eames-esque lounge type environment. Win/Win, right?

Scary sight number one: One box had appropriate shipping straps around the carton, and one did not.

Scary sight number two: One flap of the box actually opening while it was being taken of the truck. The tape holding it closed had apparently given way to the strain of containing a 100+lb loudspeaker. Imagine that.

Scary sound number one: Actually hearing the unit jostle around inside one of the boxes while the UPS gentleman and I brought it up the steps to the house.

Thus begins the journey. Needless to say, there will be no listening notes posted tonight. An e-mail went to Harman within 1/2 of receipt of the shipment, complete with pictures documenting the box, the "shipping protection," and the destroyed tweet. Suffice it to say, I've had eBay sellers do a far better job of packaging JBL's, and that's just downright disgusting when you're talking about buying direct from the manufacturer.

Wish me luck!
    Awww, that stinks - What horrible packing!!
    A great plan, lousy follow through by HK ... what a shame!

best wishes for a happy and quick resolution!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Awww, that stinks - What horrible packing!!
    A great plan, lousy follow through by HK ... what a shame!

best wishes for a happy and quick resolution!
    Thanks Heather - I appreciate the well wishes!

Best I can hope for is they call and say "we'll send you a new driver" and that's the end of the story.

Obsolete
    Best I can hope for is they call and say "we'll send you a new driver" and that's the end of the story.
    That's what needs to happen - along with all our prayers that they don't merely toss the new driver into a padded envelope and you have to go through the usual two or three replacement drivers to get a good one.

Yeah... Harman's packing and shipping practices utterly astound me. Whoever is in charge of that channel should be fired. I mean seriously... come on...

Regis
    That is one shameful packing job! It looks like your worst Ebay shipping nightmare. Gawd... When you have them up and running, please let us know what you think of em'! You may want to run them anyway, to see if any of the motors or poles got knocked loose inside the drivers....

shipping practices are a personal war, absolutely discusting , are you sure they were't done by a child???

Best wishes on the repair!!

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Update: Both tweets are trashed. FML!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    That's what needs to happen - along with all our prayers that they don't merely toss the new driver into a padded envelope and you have to go through the usual two or three replacement drivers to get a good one.
    Make that two drivers. Great, a double shot for them to f%ck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah... Harman's packing and shipping practices utterly astound me. Whoever is in charge of that channel should be fired. I mean seriously... come on...
    I agreed before; now I doubly agree! Can you fire someone twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    When you have them up and running, please let us know what you think of em'! You may want to run them anyway, to see if any of the motors or poles got knocked loose inside the drivers....
    I will absolutely post listening notes once they're operational, though if I'm going to hazard a guess that could be at least a week or so. They're a bitch to move too, so it may take some time to tweak the setup to the point that I'm comfortable giving them a thorough evaluation. I'm also running them now to check overall operation; remarkably, the other drivers seem to be unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    are you sure they were't done by a child???
    I might be led to think so, but then again I'm fairly certain my 5 year old niece could have done a better job!

Update: Both tweets are trashed. FML!
    so am I understanding correctly ..... even the one that was packed CORRECTLY was smashed too ??

makes you wonder if they were shipped that way ...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    so am I understanding correctly ..... even the one that was packed CORRECTLY was smashed too ??

makes you wonder if they were shipped that way ...
    My guess is the one that (outwardly) appeared to be packed correctly was sitting around for quite some time, and over that time the Styrofoam packing material deteriorated to the point that it was useless, as it was broken up and all over the place within the box as well. Who knows? Maybe they unpacked it at one time and then [poorly] re-packed it . My guess is as good as yours

I can't believe they would ship them with the tweets in the condition they were in. Strike that, I sadly can believe it, but refuse to allow myself to...

Observation #1: That's unacceptable. You should elevate your complaint (if you can find anyone at Harman who cares).

Observation #2: This is a brave move on your part, which I applaud. Despite the FU by harman, when you get them right you'll be a proud owner of a truly underrated design.

Observation #3: You just saved me $2500. Thanks. After seeing what you are going through, most--not all--of my desire to pull the trigger has evaporated. If you post glowing reviews later, that could change.
    Out.

I think I would have refused the shipment and let them go back. But a lot depends on how Harman decides to handle this. You did PAY for original factory packing which you didn't get and will not have the use of at a later time.

I'm probably as excited as anyone here to that a forum member bought these, and we'll all be fortunate enough (hoping, assuming, praying ) to finally get some detailed notes in comparison to other JBL lines. I've wanted the Ti10K as my first choice when moving on from the L100 years ago, and consider your purchase my own personal closure

if you have great things to say, and they're still available at this price, I just may end up pulling the trigger over a considered PS move.

While I can't believe the manufacturer could possibly put $7K msrp speakers in a box as good as my 4 yr old could, at the same time, I can believe it. I made one purchase from harmanaudio.com a few years ago for a DVD48-"Z" and the thing came in a box without any packing and some cords thrown on top, and the unit, no exaggeration looked like it was in the main party room of a frat house for four years and then boxed by them and shipped to my house directly. I had many tell me this was far from standard for harman but I've never believed it, now this travesty!!

anyway, sorry to hear of your troubles, really hoping you get quick resolution, and back to business on this important matter

edit: other than all your troubles, g'dam is that a good looking speaker!
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Well, resolution didn't start off well. The two e-mails I sent to [email protected] went unanswered throughout the day. Getting impatient I called the 516 number listed on the "Shop Harman Direct" site. Just as an FYI, that call center is in India (shocker, I know.) The guy I got was the same exact guy I had yesterday -- y'know, the one who offered to transfer me to his supervisor and instead sent me to tech support for a simple inquiry around shipping timeframes.

And so went the conversation today. After asking no questions about the extent of the damamge, the initial response was "you need to contact UPS." At that point, all patience was lost, my voice suddenly got several decibels louder, and my response was something to the effect of "this is not UPS' fault -- you packaged the product like shit, therefore I expect resolution from you". His response (another shocker): "Let me transfer me you to my supervisor."

Yeah .... I went down this road with you yesterday buddy. You're not getting off that easy...

Me: What's the name of your supervisor please? Because yesterday when you advised me you were transfering me to your supervisor, you sent me to tech support where I held for 10 minutes before speaking with someone
    HK: I'm sending you to a supervisor, sir.
    Me: That's not what I asked -- who is your direct supervisor?
    HK: We have many supervisors
    Me: On your corporate organizational chart, who do you directly report to?
    HK: His name is [undiscernable], but he is not here
    Me: Who is the call center supervisor?
    HK: His name is Alan; he is not here
    Me: Are you telling me there is no one in a supervisory function currently working at your call center?
    HK: No sir, not at the moment
    Me: Then if there are no supervisors working, who is this supervisor you just said you were going to transfer me to?
    HK: Sir, we are in India. I will have to transfer you to a facility in the US
    Me: Ahhhhhhh .... So, back to tech support I go.

Things didn't look promising at this point. However, Tech support was marvellous. They are shipping two new tweeters (no questions asked) and we are hopefully on our way to resolution.

Thinking it might help other forum members who have similar situations arise (which for all of you, I hope is never the case) I asked if there was a direct number to this particular support group. I was told that the phones were specifically routed so that there was not. Do I believe that? Not really sure, but so much for trying...

That said Tom (the support guy) was really, really great. He asked about my comfort level with changing out the tweets myself, and we even talked about some of my other JBL gear and his opinions on the Tik series. He also noted that they (I assume he means his particular group) have been actively advocating for better packaging, but with limited results. Something tells me Tom gets calls like these more than he'd like.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me guys!

Well, resolution didn't start off well. The two e-mails I sent to [email protected] went unanswered throughout the day. Getting impatient I called the 516 number listed on the "Shop Harman Direct" site. Just as an FYI, that call center is in India (shocker, I know.) The guy I got was the same exact guy I had yesterday -- y'know, the one who offered to transfer me to his supervisor and instead sent me to tech support for a simple inquiry around shipping timeframes.

And so went the conversation today.

That said Tom (the support guy) was really, really great. He asked about my comfort level with changing out the tweets myself, and we even talked about some of my other JBL gear and his opinions on the Tik series. He also noted that they (I assume he means his particular group) have been actively advocating for better packaging, but with limited results. Something tells me Tom gets calls like these more than he'd like.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me guys!
    Isn't a shame you have to fight to get reasonable treatment?
    Isn't a bigger shame that a company like this has enough slop to actual ship this way??

Yeah, we did a big dance with Harman on my HK AVR7300 receiver last year - logged in another thread,
    but it sounds like you got the right bottom line - a warm human being that talks real to you. Good luck on the resolution!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information