Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Array 1400 at CES 2011

That's the one. I spent about half an hour in the room working my way into the sweet spot. I was not impressed, especially for close to $700,000. Now I read that some are blaming the lifeless sound on bad AC. Here's a better photo of the 1400's that I fouund on Sound and Vision's site. I'm assuming these must be the discontinued WG variation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    That's the one. I spent about half an hour in the room working my way into the sweet spot. I was not impressed, especially for close to $700,000. Now I read that some are blaming the lifeless sound on bad AC.
    My vote is room acoustics combined with some stupid choices... for example:

6) Kubala Sosna Elation cabling $84,700

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Here's a better photo of the 1400's that I fouund on Sound and Vision's site. I'm assuming these must be the discontinued WG variation.
    Not as red as they look in person, but yep.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    My vote is room acoustics combined with some stupid choices... for example:

6) Kubala Sosna Elation cabling $84,700

Widget
    $93K in amp stands?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    $93K in amp stands?
    I missed that earlier, but it makes sense now... obviously that is where they went wrong.

Widget

Makes me wonder how far one would get epoxying $100 bills together
    to form a laminated speaker stand...

Oh I'm sure if one looked hard enough a far more expensive composite adhesive could be found. Epoxy is sooo generic.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Makes me wonder how far one would get epoxying $100 bills together
    to form a laminated speaker stand...
    I like the cut of your jib.

"Those amp stands are SO money!"

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Most of the people at Harman are probably too busy watching their stock to care about much else. If they need to axe more people and outsource more of the company to get that <censored> stock up so be it. I'm pretty sure that 90% of them don't even know what any of this stuff is beyond "product".
    I hear ya' man. I just bought some 2235 cone kits the other day and I felt a little ill seeing "Made in Mexico" on the label. Especially for what they cost. Harman sure ain't passing the savings on to the rest of us.

I kinda want a pair of the 1400 Array, but if they are outsourced I'll just sigh in sadness and stick with my L300s.

On the Wilsons; I don't care how good they may sound, they are damn ugly. They make the Vorlons from Babylon 5 look pleasant.

1400's

I have never heard the 1400's but from what I have read here and elsewhere they are a combination of smooth mothers with a dash of JBL dynamics. Can't get better than that.
    Seriously I have just plonked down a heap of Federal Reserve Notes for a demo pair of 1400's in Arizona.
    After having a 40 year obsession with JBL from Lancers, L200's, 4350's and presently 212's. I hope I have finally hit audio nirvana.
    I will let you know.

Of all the things I have lost - I miss my mind the most.

Thumbs up Nice move

Quote Originally Posted by sweet212 View Post
    I have never heard the 1400's but from what I have read here and elsewhere they are a combination of smooth mothers with a dash of JBL dynamics. Can't get better than that.
    Seriously I have just plonked down a heap of Federal Reserve Notes for a demo pair of 1400's in Arizona.
    After having a 40 year obsession with JBL from Lancers, L200's, 4350's and presently 212's. I hope I have finally hit audio nirvana.
    I will let you know.

Of all the things I have lost - I miss my mind the most.
    Welcome to the forum! What a great way to introduce yourself, new 1400 owner.

We'll await your impressions, but it's hard to imagine anything but bliss for you.
    Out.

how does 1400s sound with naturally recorded voices and works

congrats sweet212....enjoy the 1400s..

a question:

while i heard and can confirm the 1400s as a mighty fine speakers for rock, electronic music, even old school jazz, i'm not sure how it will handle minimalist vocals or chamber music with natural acoustics, and minimal processing in the studio...

also i should note, i only heard the 1400s with tube amps (el34s), which was lively but not bright....i'm not sure if solid state will fare as well. doesn't the sound turn bright? i can only assume a MOSFET amp with its rounder sound may tame the balance.

your thoughts, especially from the owners.

cheers

Have listened to the 1400's with both tubes and SS. In my oppinion you have to do something really wrong to make them sound bright, or harsh. The room is the most probable culprit if it sounds wrong.

In my view it is easier to go wrong with the K2's (9800). They are balancing on a knifes edge, and can easily be pushed the wrong way. The rewards when done right is worth it though.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

thank you for the insight tim. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tarior View Post
    I hear ya' man. I just bought some 2235 cone kits the other day and I felt a little ill seeing "Made in Mexico" on the label. Especially for what they cost. Harman sure ain't passing the savings on to the rest of us.

I kinda want a pair of the 1400 Array, but if they are outsourced I'll just sigh in sadness and stick with my L300s.
    When I found out Harman acquired selenium, I quickly snagged a pair of Selenium D2500ti drivers and replacement phragms. The quality will only go down. Way to trash on of the great names in hifi you weasels, now I buy cheap gear before you get your hands on it and wreck it!

On the Wilsons; I don't care how good they may sound, they are damn ugly. They make the Vorlons from Babylon 5 look pleasant.
    Not to worry. They don't sound that great.. or even good

Well... the cabinets for the "Made in USA" 1400 Arrays were made in China with US made drivers and final assembly. I am not sure but I imagine the networks were built in China as well. Now that the Arrays will be "Made in Mexico", I assume the only change will be the location of the driver fabrication and the final assembly. They will likely have initial hiccups, but there is no reason that production can't eventually be up to spec.

That said, I still think those responsible for this short sighted move be kicked off the plane without their golden parachutes.

Quote Originally Posted by polar_bear_0104 View Post
    congrats sweet212....enjoy the 1400s..

Quote Originally Posted by polar_bear_0104 View Post
    while i heard and can confirm the 1400s as a mighty fine speakers for rock, electronic music, even old school jazz, i'm not sure how it will handle minimalist vocals or chamber music with natural acoustics, and minimal processing in the studio...

also i should note, i only heard the 1400s with tube amps (el34s), which was lively but not bright....i'm not sure if solid state will fare as well. doesn't the sound turn bright? i can only assume a MOSFET amp with its rounder sound may tame the balance.
    I think that this falls into the realm of personal taste and perception. I listen to acoustic and electronic music of many genres and I have found the 1400 Arrays to handle every type of music with grace.

Widget

Thread Information