Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Array 1400 at CES 2011

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Lambs' skin!? For the love of all that's holy!!! Someone took Silence of the Lambs a bit too seriously...
    They did! You see, the Lambs aren't 'Silent' anymore! They're producing wonderful and sibilant music. It's not that baa-aad!

clmrt
    Didn't Bose patent the whizzer cone back in 1991?

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    So I jumped on the S'phile site to see if there are any blurbs about JBL / CES, and the first thing you see is a big theater pair with horns (cool, but...). Then you see Westlake (!) selling $0.05 blocks of foam with holes made to keep cables the perfect distance apart, for $60.

More mixed with

http://stereophile.com/
    $60 just gets you in the door, I'm sure we're talking hundreds to do a whole system. Cable muffs! Even the name is hilarious.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

clmrt
    I didn't even notice the different shapes on the table. Must be for specific "applications".

Scene at your local Audiophile meeting:

Gregory: "I say, did you notice Phillip happens to've place Interconnect Muffs on his speaker cables?"

Reginald: "Indeed! Oh, the horror! Should we tell him?"

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    $60 just gets you in the door, I'm sure we're talking hundreds to do a whole system. Cable muffs! Even the name is hilarious.
    I guess it's a whole new world of opportunity, and it gives "muff diving" a completely new dimension. $100 a pop is about right for a good muff.
    Out.

I guess I need one of those $1800.00 power cords and a block of magic foam to get the most out of my Bose's.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

The Array 1400's Have been one of my favourites since day one of there release. A value and a Audiophile Bargin IMO. They have been on Display here since 2005/2006. One thing is certain I will not sell my display model's because I seem to listen to them about 3 to 4 times a day when permitting.

If your in The Toronto area your welcome to come in for a Demo anytime.......

www.altronicsstereo2000.com

Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    The Array 1400's Have been one of my favourites since day one of there release. A value and a Audiophile Bargin IMO. They have been on Display here since 2005/2006. One thing is certain I will not sell my display model's because I seem to listen to them about 3 to 4 times a day when permitting.

If your in The Toronto area your welcome to come in for a Demo anytime.......

www.altronicsstereo2000.com
    So they've been out for five + years and I've never heard of them before? Were they at the 2010 RMAF? What did they retail for in 2005, and what does "BG" stand for? BTW I think that link would work better if you put the bouncy after the link.

So they've been out for five + years and I've never heard of them before? Were they at the 2010 RMAF? What did they retail for in 2005...
    I don't think their price has changed since introduction. $11,500 per pair. They have been at CES before but not part of a demo system as far as I am aware and I do not think they have ever been at the RMAF.

...and what does "BG" stand for?
    "Black Grain"

Originally the Project Array Series were available in two color choices. BG and WG which stands for Black Grain and Wood Grain. These names are confusing since both options were the same high gloss veneered wood with the WG being rather reddish and the BG being a charcoal gray. The WG option has been discontinued and currently only the BG version is available except for some remaining stock in the Array Series... no WG 1400 Arrays are left.

Widget

The Array 1400's have never been at the Denver show, but in 2008 the Array 800's and 1000's were on display for auditioning.

1400 Array was at both RMAF and CES.

As the owner of Audio Video Logic in Des Moines, Iowa, I attended both RMAF in Denver in October 2010 and the 2011 CES show. The 1400 Array was on display at both shows.
    At RMAF they were on loan to a different manufacturer (forget who) and were not in the JBL room. They sounded quite good here and really got my attention. At CES they were in one of the Harman rooms. This demo was not quite as successful due to the room acoustics. They were a bit boomy and colored in the upper bass and were aggressive in the highs. The small size and shape of the room didn't allow much placement experimentation to fix the problem and it was also very reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    As the owner of Audio Video Logic in Des Moines, Iowa, I attended both RMAF in Denver in October 2010 and the 2011 CES show. The 1400 Array was on display at both shows.
    At RMAF they were on loan to a different manufacturer (forget who) and were not in the JBL room. They sounded quite good here and really got my attention. At CES they were in one of the Harman rooms. This demo was not quite as successful due to the room acoustics. They were a bit boomy and colored in the upper bass and were aggressive in the highs. The small size and shape of the room didn't allow much placement experimentation to fix the problem and it was also very reflective.
    I missed them at RMAF, and I certainly know about them being at CES this year. BTW the name of this thread is "Array 1400 at CES 2011"

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    ..So, you thought they didn't sound all that great at the CES due to the room?

The Lamm/Wilson Alexandeia system at CES 2011

I wasn't the only one who thought this ridiculously overpriced system sounded like crap. From "Marty" at the whatsbestforum.com:
    QUOTE:
    Lamm-Wilson "Travesty" System

Steve, you're not going to like this but I might as well say it. The Lamm exhibit at the Venetian was one of the most disappointing sound demonstrations of the entire CES. First, the prices you noted in your blog entry are not quite right. The total system price as posted in Room 307 was $667,164. I won't go into every detail but basics are
    1) Critical Mass System $92,800
    2) Lamm electronics $197,160
    3) Wilson A-II $158,000
    4) NeoDio CD/DAC $25,300
    5) da Vinci table $109,204
    6) Kubala Sosna Elation cabling $84,700

The sound was a conundrum. On one hand, it was lovely; beautiful in fact. It had definition, good frequency response, good imaging, and was low in distortion. However, there was one overwhelming problem. The music was LIFELESS. Absolutely uninvolving, sterile and lifeless. You could have knocked me over with a feather if you told me those words would ever come from me in describing what is arguably some of the greatest electronics I have ever heard (under different conditions of course). Sadly, I think my view was the common opinion of many listeners and reviewers we met in the hallways. I can't think of a better example of the absurdity of Hi end audio than this singular demo. This demo clearly refutes one common theorem of hi-end audio which is "more is better" when it comes to cost of gear. Wrong. And in this case, very, very wrong.

END OF QUOTE

Ouch!

I wasn't the only one who thought this ridiculously overpriced system sounded like crap. From "Marty" at the whatsbestforum.com:
    QUOTE:
    Lamm-Wilson "Travesty" System

Steve, you're not going to like this but I might as well say it. The Lamm exhibit at the Venetian was one of the most disappointing sound demonstrations of the entire CES. First, the prices you noted in your blog entry are not quite right. The total system price as posted in Room 307 was $667,164. I won't go into every detail but basics are
    1) Critical Mass System $92,800
    2) Lamm electronics $197,160
    3) Wilson A-II $158,000
    4) NeoDio CD/DAC $25,300
    5) da Vinci table $109,204
    6) Kubala Sosna Elation cabling $84,700

The sound was a conundrum. On one hand, it was lovely; beautiful in fact. It had definition, good frequency response, good imaging, and was low in distortion. However, there was one overwhelming problem. The music was LIFELESS. Absolutely uninvolving, sterile and lifeless. You could have knocked me over with a feather if you told me those words would ever come from me in describing what is arguably some of the greatest electronics I have ever heard (under different conditions of course). Sadly, I think my view was the common opinion of many listeners and reviewers we met in the hallways. I can't think of a better example of the absurdity of Hi end audio than this singular demo. This demo clearly refutes one common theorem of hi-end audio which is "more is better" when it comes to cost of gear. Wrong. And in this case, very, very wrong.

END OF QUOTE

Ouch!
    Are you talking abbout this >$650K set up?

Thread Information