Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My little 2235h project

My little 2235h project

I don't know if this is the right section to post this little project of mine that ended this weekend. Basically, since I was 16 (I am now 48), I have always designed enclosures that had little footprint to the eye (I like them slender, short but deep - no nasty comment here). Meaning even a big volume enclosure had to be pleasing and not massive (yeah, honestly, I have always fiercely hated JBL's big boxes). Another fetish I had for the past 3 decades that I only applied on this enclosure is the "forward cabin". I have no idea from where it comes. Maybe something I have seen in the 1960s or 70s, but no clear memory of it.

So, here it is. A pair of 15" subs using JBL's 2235h. The enclosure is 16" wide, 29-1/2" tall with the casters, and 30-1/2" deep (it could be 50" deep, you wouldn't see it from the front. Volume is 4.5cft and the port is tuned to 30Hz.

The front extension is fully detachable (soft mounted with a foam gasket all around), while the main body is made from highly braced 1" MDF and curved laminated layers of 1/4" Massonite sheets. With tangerine orange stained birch venner. The interior is lined with 1.5" thick medium density grey foam. That thing weights 95lbs without the driver.

Better picture coming later.

Name:  DSCN0108.jpg
Views: 8608
Size:  141.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Funky!
    Kinda reminds me of the Wharfedale Evo designs, you certainly did a nice job on them as far as workmanship.
    Would have never thought that massonite would make a good enclosure material but then again!!!?

Most impotantly...how do you like them? What else are you using with this set up?
    Just Play Music.

It was not the regular light massonite, but a product much denser. The first layer was glued and nailed, and the consecutive layers were only glued.

From my preamp (NAD 1300 or Technics SU-9070) the signal goes into an active crossover (Behringer CX3400) then into a selection of 200-240wpc power amps for the bass - ADCOM 5500, several Yamaha P2200-PC2002, the mids are fed thru a Technics SE-9060 and the highs thru a Rotel. Each bass section has its own EQ (Technics parametric, and Behringer digital). I run a set of 4530s with 2225h crossover at 120Hz, and these subs crossed at 60HZ, just to add that physical presence.

I also alternate my tweeters between 2402, 2404 and 2405. Basically, th system is in constant evolution. Otherwise how fun would it be?

Sounds like a very nice set up Lee, post some pictures when you get a chance, folks around here really like that, myself included .
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I don't know if this is the right section to post this little project of mine that ended this weekend. Basically, since I was 16 (I am now 48), I have always designed enclosures that had little footprint to the eye (I like them slender, short but deep - no nasty comment here). Meaning even a big volume enclosure had to be pleasing and not massive (yeah, honestly, I have always fiercely hated JBL's big boxes). Another fetish I had for the past 3 decades that I only applied on this enclosure is the "forward cabin". I have no idea from where it comes. Maybe something I have seen in the 1960s or 70s, but no clear memory of it.

So, here it is. A pair of 15" subs using JBL's 2235h. The enclosure is 16" wide, 29-1/2" tall with the casters, and 30-1/2" deep (it could be 50" deep, you wouldn't see it from the front. Volume is 4.5cft and the port is tuned to 30Hz.

The front extension is fully detachable (soft mounted with a foam gasket all around), while the main body is made from highly braced 1" MDF and curved laminated layers of 1/4" Massonite sheets. With tangerine orange stained birch venner. The interior is lined with 1.5" thick medium density grey foam. That thing weights 95lbs without the driver.

So beautiful!
    Do you want to sale them? I'm very interesting
    46 lover

It started like that

Name:  Kef_Build_01.jpg
Views: 5701
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  Kef_Build_11.jpg
Views: 5602
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  DSC02277.jpg
Views: 5451
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  DSC02276.jpg
Views: 5365
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  041.jpg
Views: 5303
Size:  38.0 KB

I wish I could work wood like that

All the sections were cut by CNC. I submitted CAD drawings and they cut all sections 100% identical to each others. Then everything else is just assembly and a bit of creativity.

From the image it looks like a black cabinet inside an orange housing - is it a folded horn design of some kind, or am I just not seeing it correctly? It looks great!

I don't know if this is the right section to post this little project of mine that ended this weekend.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

From the image it looks like a black cabinet inside an orange housing - is it a folded horn design of some kind, or am I just not seeing it correctly? It looks great!

I don't know if this is the right section to post this little project of mine that ended this weekend.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I believe the orange panel under the 'black box' is solid, flat, vertical, and closed.

I can almost see that one could visualize an opening there, but I think it is shadow
    and misdirection.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    It's a simple bass reflex. The black section is only an extension. Currently working on a tapped horn to use with a 1500 GTi driver.

But hey, I have a set of folded horns. They are 4530s. Will post pictures of the installation soon with the rack of P2200/PC2002s ;-)

Here's the red cabinet when it as intended for a 12" Kef B300B.

Name:  Kef_cleared.jpg
Views: 6183
Size:  146.2 KB

Previously used in this configuration

Name:  Evo_Kef_2.jpg
Views: 6455
Size:  57.9 KB

In a design evolution of its late 1970s predecessor. The famous Kef 105/2.

Name:  AlmostDone_4.jpg
Views: 7408
Size:  87.8 KB

Obsolete
    All the sections were cut by CNC. I submitted CAD drawings and they cut all sections 100% identical to each others. Then everything else is just assembly and a bit of creativity.
    Sounds like Don should have done that with his Project May!

Nice job!

Yesterday, I tested the new 2235-based sub with my pair of 4530 w/ 2225h.
    Up to a certain comfortable level, the 2235 follows. But as soon as the volume starts climbing, the 2235 easily meets its excursion limit. I cut the lower end at 25Hz and it helps, the 2235 is a fine studio or living room driver, but certainly not to be used at higher sound levels.

So, this morning, I fitted a 2225h into the other empty enclosure. Playing a 2235 and a 2225 side by side in similar enclosure. The 2225 sure can offer higher SPL, but it remains a PA driver. Not much bottom end but a massive dose of 80Hz-120Hz if not equalized. But hey, it was a simple experiment that helped me understand what each driver was good for. The 2225h in a 4530 is so pleasurable with that powerfull and tight kick that can play so loud. A very efficient enclosure for that driver.

2225h on the left. 2235h othe right.

Name:  DSCN0111.jpg
Views: 9280
Size:  118.5 KB
    Name:  DSCN0114.jpg
Views: 6089
Size:  107.4 KB

Now, still looking for a 2245h, or perhaps even a 2241h for that thumping bass. ;-)

hi lee,

awesome work! now i know who to turn to for cabinet work if i'll ever need one...

good thing you're in montreal, easy to reach as far as i'm concerned....

keep the pics and experiments coming!

cheers

Thread Information