Thread: l65b recap

l65b recap

i was wondering if someone could help me with recapping my l65bs. i have never done this and was just wondering if this is the way to do it. the previous owner recapped the 1.5 cap for the tweeters and ive found the 2 other caps on the crossover board they are a 13.5 and a 4. the ones on the board seem to be in a cardboard sleeve with 2 wires coming out of white packing (glue?) and the sleeve is glued to the board. both the 13.5 and the 4 cap are the same way on the board. i can order a 4 and (2) 6.8 caps from pe for each speaker. can i just cut the wires coming out of the sleeve of the cap and solder the new ones right there and leave the old caps on the board unconnected or is there another way. thanx brad (also i have read the the 2 6.8 caps wired in parallel will equal 13.6 so to get the in parallel do you just lay them side by side and twist the wires together then solder them in?)

Quote Originally Posted by brad6285 View Post
    i was wondering if someone could help me with recapping my l65bs. i have never done this and was just wondering if this is the way to do it. the previous owner recapped the 1.5 cap for the tweeters and ive found the 2 other caps on the crossover board they are a 13.5 and a 4. the ones on the board seem to be in a cardboard sleeve with 2 wires coming out of white packing (glue?) and the sleeve is glued to the board. both the 13.5 and the 4 cap are the same way on the board. i can order a 4 and (2) 6.8 caps from pe for each speaker. can i just cut the wires coming out of the sleeve of the cap and solder the new ones right there and leave the old caps on the board unconnected or is there another way. thanx brad (also i have read the the 2 6.8 caps wired in parallel will equal 13.6 so to get the in parallel do you just lay them side by side and twist the wires together then solder them in?)
    Yes, that'll work . . . but it is an experiment, not necessarily an improvement. You are the "chief engineer." You might want to try doing some A-Bs with the original caps vs the new. No hard and fast rules, it's an experiment . . . if you like the original JBL sound, leave 'em as is. A lot of people seem to think X-over caps "get old" but I've never found that to be true in a home hi fi environment. So, have at it, definitely a learning experience. Save the old parts so you can get back to original.

Thread Information