Thread: Help with 2404 diaphragm

Smile Help with 2404 diaphragm

Greetings all,

Been doing some experimenting with the 2404 & have acquired 2 pairs of 2404H's with unknown history.

On careful listening both pairs have a distinctly different sound, so out with the tool kit to check out the diaphragms. 1 pair has the diaphragm as per attached pic, whilst the other has an all silver diaphragm.

Have done searches here & elsewhere to try to determine the difference & from what I have come up with, the frams with the gold surrounds is to suit the 2404H which allows the driver to be crossed over at 3.5K & handles more power, whilst the all silver one is for the driver that must be crossed at 6 or 7K & handles less power? I prefer the sound of the all silver diaphragm & would like to source a pair of these. My dilemma is that most of the companies selling the genuine JBL fram seem to have a goldy type coloured surround as per attached pic & not the all silver type.

Do you think the two types of frams I have are genuine?

Is the colour of the inner & outer ring of the available genuine frams irrelevant?

I should describe the differences in sound quality.......the all silver frams are cleaner, clearer, more transparent & on the whole, have more clarity. The gold surround types don't sound bad, it's just that the all silver ones have a beautiful transparency to them.

Thanks for any advice,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sootshe; 01-11-2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Replace picture

The diaphragm shown in your pic is a D16R2405 and should be crossed at 5kHz or higher. It should I am quite certain be mated with a phase plug that is right about 1.720" at the base. Measure all your phase plugs and show a picture of the other diaphragm.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    The diaphragm shown in your pic is a D16R2405 and should be crossed at 5kHz or higher. It should I am quite certain be mated with a phase plug that is right about 1.720" at the base. Measure all your phase plugs and show a picture of the other diaphragm.
    Thanks for your reply. I'll get the photo of the other diaphragms to you & also the measurements of the phase plugs.
    John

Here's the pic of both diaphragms. I don't have a mic to measure the phase plugs,but by my reckoning they are not the 1.715 inch diameter but rather they are both 1.6 inch.
    Crossong these over at 6K @ 18db.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sootshe; 01-11-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Add pictures

UPDATE:

Decided to pull the other driver apart....the other one with the original diaphragm in it.
    When I did this, I found that there was a lot of debris & dirt in there.
    When these drivers were shipped to me they were packed in a carton with a lot of that small, lighter than air, white styrofoam & the drivers were not covered in any way. When I received them I pulled a few pieces of styrofoam out from the external of the horn throat, but when I actually opened them up there was more styrofoam inside & on the phase plug & dirt on the diaphragm.

I pulled out all the styrofoam & cleaned the outside of the diaphragm with a very soft artists brush. All good. Reassembled together & now sounds excellent. Very similar to the other pair, but a tad smoother.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to actually take the diaphragm out & clean inside the gap?

Still interested in your thoughts on these 2 different diaphragms & the dimensions of the phase plugs.

Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Sootshe View Post
    Do you think it would be worthwhile to actually take the diaphragm out & clean inside the gap?
    if all sound excellent after cleaning i suggest doing nothing with the dia/gap. Don't forget the gap is sealed and protected by the phragm itself against outside penetration like dust ... Possibly play a sweep sinus to doublecheck centering voice coil and any distortion.

By the way i have an original 2404 pair with the same silver dias.

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    By the way i have an original 2404 pair with the same silver dias.
    Thats good to know......so the all silver may in fact not be an aftermarket diaphragm after all!

Thread Information