Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the Westlake Audio SM-1 speakers use the 076 as their tweeter?

Why do the Westlake Audio SM-1 speakers use the 076 as their tweeter?

These speakers sell for over $200,000 grand new, I find it pretty amazing they use a JBL component. Rock on JBL!

Have you contacted them to ask why? I bet they'd be able to give the best answer.

I got on the phone with some people over at Westlake and they told me that they use the 076 simply because its excellent. Furthermore they informed me that they are currently in negotiations with JBL because JBl has stopped making making the tweeter and they're trying to get them to continue to make it for them. Unfortunately from they're perspective they told that JBL has no interest continuing to produce the tweeter. (We all know JBL maybe 25 years or so ago moved away from building quality speakers and components) Pretty sad, Westlake said they will have to completely rebuild their SM-1 speakers or simply make a new one if they can't get a hold of some 076's.

(We all know JBL maybe 25 years or so ago moved away from building quality speakers and components)
    LOL we do?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by sperkerchef View Post
    Unfortunately from they're perspective they told that JBL has no interest continuing to produce the tweeter.
    Yeah, JBL needs to concentrate on iPod consoles...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well since JBL have sanctioned Eminence to make D130 clones for Fender I would guess that they would not give a hoot if Westlake got 076 clones made by Song Yo or Wung Soo as long as there was a few $$ heading to the Cayman Islands.

Maron Horonzakz
    Just install the TAD 703,,,Its a better tweeter anyway.

My best JBL ever......

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by sperkerchef View Post
    These speakers sell for over $200,000 grand new, I find it pretty amazing they use a JBL component. Rock on JBL!
    It just registered with me that these go for $200k. At that dosh they could easily have the lens / horn cast for them and cull sufficient motors and dias. Where there is a will there is a way.

I would think 2405 slots with the right diaphragm in them would be comparable. There are lots of those out there.

076's are an interesting combination of parts. A standard AlNiCo 240X / 07X motor assembly with a diaphragm that is a 075/2405 mashup. The inner horn is the same as used in the 2404 as is the 1.720" base diameter phase plug used in the "hi-fi" model 2404 with a D16R2405 diaphragm. So the only two uncommon pieces that make an 076 are the diaphragm and the outer horn.

I wonder if the 076's supplied to Westlake had the 2405 or 076 diaphragms?
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    It just registered with me that these go for $200k. At that dosh they could easily have the lens / horn cast for them and cull sufficient motors and dias. Where there is a will there is a way.
    ...and it is not like they are selling many of these beasts each year. Then there is always the TAD ET-703... it is in production and is superior in many ways, but because it is available, I suppose it loses a bit of that unobtainium quality required for a $200K loudspeaker.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...and it is not like they are selling many of these beasts each year. Then there is always the TAD ET-703... it is in production and is superior in many ways, but because it is available, I suppose it loses a bit of that unobtainium quality required for a $200K loudspeaker.

Widget
    Widget you are in plastics molding , as I recall , may be wrong, but if you are perhaps you should give them a call.
    It does not seem an impossible obstacle to get around and I have no doubt that JBL Pro would furnish whoever with the relevant drawings etc , that is if they havn't lost them in a flood / fire / removal
    Come to think of it there is a lovely wee niche market out there for a quality cloner.
    Does the 076 exist as a ferrite ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    Widget you are in plastics molding , as I recall , may be wrong, but if you are perhaps you should give them a call.
    It does not seem an impossible obstacle to get around and I have no doubt that JBL Pro would furnish whoever with the relevant drawings etc , that is if they havn't lost them in a flood / fire / removal
    Come to think of it there is a lovely wee niche market out there for a quality cloner.
    Does the 076 exist as a ferrite ?

I was just roaming for high end tweets and came across this beauty Raven ribbon tweet at $2100 each with the very special ............. well you read on its in red

Raven Line Source specifications:- Ribbon Materialpure MMX, no plastic film. - Ribbon Mass: 0.05 grams - Ribbon Width: 15 mm - Ribbon length: 264 mm - Ribbon Area: 39.6 cm^2 - Response: On a 15 inch wide asymmetric cabinet, +/- 1.5 dB from 500 Hz to 40 kHz. - Recommended crossover: 800 Hz, 24 dB Linkwitz-Riley. - Impedance: 8 ohms above 400 Hz. - DCR: 0.05 ohm - Sensitivity: 97 dB , 2.83 volts at 1 meter. - Power handling with recommended crossover: 30 watts - Speaker system power up to 250 Watts. - Face Dimension: 134 mm wide, 308 mm tall, 8 mm thick - Cabinet hole: 102 mm wide, 283 mm tall, 130 mm deep - Weight: 26 pounds MMX is a new type of metal that has about 6x strength of common pure aluminum ribbons. It has a much stronger centering spring force to reduce distortion, increase power handling and improve durability. The rear chamber is 3 inch deep by 2.5 inch wide to absorb the rear wave without reflections and for a low resonance frequency.It is damped with 50mm thick Black Hole Stuff. The water fall decay and impulse response are excellent! The transformer is internal. It has good magnetic shielding and can be within 12 inch of a CRT television. - Cost: $2100/piece

Well well , I'm gonna have to get me some of that gear !!

I think you can request Westlake to build SM-1's with TAD ET-703's, I remember seeing Ken Pachkowsky post a photo of SM-1 Towers with 703's... can't find the thread though...
    Keith

Thread Information