Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Convert an Album/LP to CD/Digital?

Punch

How Do You Convert an Album/LP to CD/Digital?

I have an album that is not available on CD, and I would like to put it on my computer or directly onto a CD. How do I do that without buying a USB Turntable? I would like to use my current table and just plug it into something.

Since I cannot see me doing this for too many songs, I would like to go with a small investment...especially since most of these albums are 30+ years old.

I thought the Sumiko Pro-Ject USB would work, but I am not certain:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it....category=28863

Thanks.

Something more like this is what you may be after:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAPP3I

Punch
    Hey RJ...isn't that the same thing as the one in my link?

...long time no talk.

Do you know anyone with a CD recorder you can borrow? They're great for copying LP's that were never offered in digital to CD-R's.

For example, I have a Philips CDR 880 recorder (looks just like a normal CD player) that has digital and analog inputs. When using the analog inputs, it works just like a cassette deck. It takes the analog signal input and converts it to digital and records it on a CD-R. You have to use "music" type CD-R's, but they play back on anything that takes CD-R's once you've finalized it. You adjust the input level just like on a cassette deck. You can also manually add track marks so you can mark each song independently. Once you have your LP on a CD, you can dump it digitally on to anything you want.

There may be better ways of taking the analog signal and converting it to digital, but to me, it looks like the USB turntables may not be much better. You can probably pick up a CD recorder pretty cheap if you don't have a friend that can loan one to you. I haven't used others (Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.), but I can vouch for the reliability of mine and a friends. We've both had ours for around 10 or more years with no problems.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-au...-recorder.html

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Something more like this is what you may be after:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAPP3I
    A much better approach than my suggestion if you end up having to buy something.

Use soundcard plus software

Feed Your amplifier's / receiver's tape out into the soundcard's line in.

Ideally the tape out should supply 316 mV (consumer level) when a consumer level device acts as an input (e.g. a proper tuner). For a phono signal it depends on the phono cartridge what the level will be. If the level is too high for the sound card, use a voltage divider, if it is too low, don't care, cause the soundcard can handle 90 dB, and vinyl will just supply 60 dB of dynamics, so there is headroom.

Use a software such as Magix Audio Cleaning Lab.

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Hey RJ...isn't that the same thing as the one in my link?

...long time no talk.
    Negative. That device is an external sound card with software to divert an audio signal away from your pc default player. It outputs to your stereo. The device I linked (I'm sure there are others) I believe is intended to do what you are after, pretty inexpensively. I have not tried one out yet, but I also have a lot of vinyl in need of archiving. If it works out for you, I'll buy it from you when you're done.

My dad burned a LOT of albums onto CDs some years ago. He hooked his turntable up to his computer with a little Radio Shack phono pre-amp (I think, we got it at the pawn shop)and used the bundle software that came with his burner (can't recall the name, but it wasn't Nero or anything that high performance).

Worked like a charm, and made surprisingly good sounding (but not audiophile quality) CDs.

I don't recall all the particulars, but I can find out. It wouldn't be but a low-fi solution, he was well into his 70's and not particularly computer savvy when he pulled it off with hardly any help from me except getting the line level input worked out.

Punch
    Thanks for the input everyone (pun intended). I think that NAD unit that Rusty suggested is going to be the best unit for me. I will keep you posted.

Here is one example: "The Loveless Motel" by RC Bannon. I have the LP but it is not a CD. The only thing I could find online was that it was used in the movie "The Outsiders".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnM_Hh36wiU

well geeze , its not that hard ....(thats what she said) ....

you just need a 2 rca female to single male mini adapter , so to plug the TT into the soundcard..

then DL Audacity ...http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

and follow the wizzs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

I use AudioLava Premium , it sims an RIAA preamp pretty well , makes great audio files , great job of cleaning (even a cool option to audition JUST the noise that you've cleaned out)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

LP convert CD

http://www.ionaudio.com/lp2cd

Stéphane

Quote Originally Posted by stephane RAME View Post
    LP convert CD

http://www.ionaudio.com/lp2cd

Stéphane
    But what does it sound like? I know that my recordings of LP's from my old Technics turntable sounded vastly inferior to the same copies my friend made for me using his Rega P3 turntable.

If Punch has at TT he really likes, I think Rusty's solution with the NAD box might be better for his tastes.

I have used this method, it is the lowest cost method.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    My dad burned a LOT of albums onto CDs some years ago. He hooked his turntable up to his computer with a little Radio Shack phono pre-amp (I think, we got it at the pawn shop)and used the bundle software that came with his burner (can't recall the name, but it wasn't Nero or anything that high performance).

Worked like a charm, and made surprisingly good sounding (but not audiophile quality) CDs.

I don't recall all the particulars, but I can find out. It wouldn't be but a low-fi solution, he was well into his 70's and not particularly computer savvy when he pulled it off with hardly any help from me except getting the line level input worked out.
    I could do this at the radio station for you, but someone stole the only phono cartridge that we had.
    If you want to do this more that a few times get a dedicated sound card for your PC, the on board sound chip is rather noisy. A Sound Blaster will do the job nicely and M-Audio makes some really nice cards.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

If you have a Mac (particularly a laptop) and want 24-bit/96kHz audio quality, this Apogee Duet beats most sound cards. You can connect your phono preamp to this and run a firewire cable to your computer. I use Logic to convert to WAV files.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Many replies seem to assume Punch has no phono pre-amp already. It's just not needed if you already have phone inputs (and EQ) in whatever front-end your using in your system. Use the tape-out to your computer input (my MacBook pro has mini in and out) and then the software as suggested.

Okay, I figure you probably already knew that but what the heck.

But how do I do it? I purchased a portable digital recorder that records to an SD card. Edirol is a well-known one, but I chose the TASCAM DR-1 because I like their pro stuff and the feature set on this one did everything I wanted it to do, including track-marking once you've downloaded the latest update. It will record compressed (MP3) or full-blown WAV files. It can be used anywhere with the proper inputs and adapters, is completely portable and battery operated, or cheap A/C adapters ($4) are plentiful. I've used it for board "tapes" on-the-job, as well as live recording of kids' recitals from its internal stereo mics. I got mine cheap from AMEX Gold Card using my points and a 20% discount special. I effectively paid around $125 for mine and is quite versatile, has paid for itself many times over, and is a delight to use. Transfer to the computer is as easy as connecting the SD card and dragging files into iTunes, just like loading photos from your camera. Works for me.

Name:  Tascam-dr1.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  14.5 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information