Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to take apart enclosure on Altec lansing VS2221

How to take apart enclosure on Altec lansing VS2221

I need to clean the volume control on my Altec Lansing VS2221 which sounds awful with static. I've successfully cleaned others in the past to restore proper operation.

The problem I have with this speaker enclosure is that, after removing the two screws on the back, the panel only comes off about 1.5 inches, then it's like something is holding the rest of the panel from coming off, like glue or tabs. The sides appear to have no give to free up any tabs! If I force the back some more, I'm almost certain it will break! Is there some trick to remove the back of the enclosure so I can get at the volume control to clean it?

TIA

quickcurrent

Looks like nobody has cleaned a set of 2.1 computer speakers like these, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by quickcurrent View Post
    Looks like nobody has cleaned a set of 2.1 computer speakers like these, huh?
    We have one of the Altec iPod boombox things- found some of the screws were hidden under foil logos and labels ...
    still very nearly split the case when I did go into it ...

Most of the Altec Lansing folks here are into the older wooden speaker systems made by the original Altec Lansing company,
    and not the newer computer speakers made by the company that bought the name.

No judgment implied, just an FYI comment.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

(Might try looking on sites like tomsguide.com and fixya.com )
    Share what you know, learn what you don't...

Thanks WDJ and hjames.

I've also emailed the "new" Altec Lansing to see what they have to say.

I doubt there are any other screws, the fixya.com site just says to open the enclosure by removing the two screws!

I wonder if they glued some backboards on these things to turn them into disposables when the volume control is dirty (which is a very short time)! This particular control only worked well for a few months before the noises started, then it got progressively worse; recently it's gotten so bad I can't use them - they sound like thunder whenever I touch the volume control !!! So I have to clean them or throw them out - too bad if I have to ditch them because they sound reasonably good when working well.

Use the Good DEOXIT!

Of course, you know to use to good deoxit spray stuff when you get in there. One of the best cleaners around.
    Guy in WNY

I've been using an old Rat Shack TV tuner cleaner spray that I've had forever - works great.

Still waiting to hear from Altec Lansing !!!

I've been using an old Rat Shack TV tuner cleaner spray that I've had forever - works great.

Still waiting to hear from Altec Lansing !!!
    no no, really, I grew up with Radio/TV repair classes in high school - been doing this stuff since the 70s. TV Tuners are one thing, this is AUDIO - toss the rat shack stuff and get some Caig Deoxit- its a whole different product, HIGHLY recommended! Amazon or a number of other places.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

OK, Caig Deoxit is the stuff to use, thanks.

I finally heard from Altec Lansing. Sandy informed me that, and I quote:

"the speakers are ultrasonically sealed during manufacturing once you open it you take a chance in damaging the drivers in side and compromising the sound quality".

Not only does this company produce a lousy product, they want you to throw them away when the volume control acts up (in my case months after buying them, when the problem started!)

My lesson from this and advice to anyone reading this is, stay away from Altec Lansing computer speakers. If the volume control cannot be maintained, Altec Lansing = JUNK.

OK, Caig Deoxit is the stuff to use, thanks.

My lesson from this and advice to anyone reading this is, stay away from Altec Lansing computer speakers. If the volume control cannot be maintained, Altec Lansing = JUNK.
    Well, the Altec Lansing company that folks here are fans of died many years ago and is long gone.
    All that remains is a name that has been bought and sold by other companies.
    Its dead, Jim ...

And the VS2221? Here is what they are - computer speakers ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So the answer to the original question is a SawzAll just for sheer morbid curiosity before they hit the dumpster. Should have guessed.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

My computer speakers for about 15 years have been Altec Lansing ACS54. Some of the best little computer 4.1 speakers I've heard. The sub woofer is a gas!

Sorry you bought a shitty set, I love my Altec Lansing computer speakers!

Yes, hjames, those are the speakers.

The reason I purchased these speakers in the first place was because of the reputation that used to go with the brand. Obviously the new Altec Lansing does not deserve that old reputation, particularly with these speakers!

BTW, I managed to get them working again, at the expense of damaging the back cover somewhat. I pulled back the cover enough to squeeze the spray tube in towards the volume control, then sprayed blindly and turned the control back and forth several times, then let it dry overnight (I'm sure some of the spray went where it shouldn't have, lol).

The back lifted up about 2 inches from the screws to about a 30 degree angle and at that point the sides where it was glued started turning white (plastic deforming), but did not break. The good thing is the sound is back to normal and the damage is not visible when the speakers are hung up on the wall.

These speakers sound quite good for the price and size, don't get me wrong on that count. The problem I have is that the volume control starts making static noise at a few months of age! If that weren't bad enough, they go and seal the back cover to the enclosure so it can't be removed to maintain the volume control without making one curse, and go and tell the customer they can't be repaired! I wonder why they bothered putting two screws on the bottom of the back cover!

The message I got from this experience is that they want the buyer to use these things for a few months and then throw them out so that Altec Lansing can sell more of the same. We live in a disposal world!

They have redesigned these speakers, but I have no idea if the same flaws are incorporated into the new design. I don't intend to find out as this will be my last Altec Lansing product.

Yes, hjames, those are the speakers.

The reason I purchased these speakers in the first place was because of the reputation that used to go with the brand. Obviously the new Altec Lansing does not deserve that old reputation, particularly with these speakers!

These speakers sound quite good for the price and size, don't get me wrong on that count. The problem I have is that the volume control starts making static noise at a few months of age! If that weren't bad enough, they go and seal the back cover to the enclosure so it can't be removed to maintain the volume control without making one curse, and go and tell the customer they can't be repaired! I wonder why they bothered putting two screws on the bottom of the back cover!

The message I got from this experience is that they want the buyer to use these things for a few months and then throw them out so that Altec Lansing can sell more of the same. We live in a disposal world!

They have redesigned these speakers, but I have no idea if the same flaws are incorporated into the new design. I don't intend to find out as this will be my last Altec Lansing product .

Its a shame - the whole buy/dispose/buy again cycle that seems foisted on us ...
    its annoying and frustrating, to say the least! I nearly threw away an expensive home theatre receiver last year, but through a series of foul ups too long to tell here, we got the manufacturer to stand up for it and do the repairs.
    I do understand, but its still frustrating!

But its good to hear you got them working again - that makes a lot of the silliness worthwhile - I mean, that's the whole point of buying them - the sound!

Thread Information