Thread: Quick woofer surround repair

Quick woofer surround repair

I got my pair of JBL E-145, boy these are massive monsters. They seem to be ok, but the surround in one of them is loose (on the outermost dent), about 1 inch long along the circumference. Before I ruin the woofer improvising how to fix it, I would like your comments on how to repair this. I wont recone them right now, so I need a quick fix. I wont be using them very loud, so I supposed a little glue would aliviate the problem.

On some other places of the surround, on the middle dent, the surround seems a little abused (a little crack, not smooth, but the surround still holds together there). How about a little glue there as well to prevent them from breaking apart?

What king of glue should I use?

If you need a quick fix...

The type of glue to use would be an industrial strength rubber and gasket cement. It must be flexible.

Older JBL's like the E145 used brown Bostic 4035. The new replacement cement is CP Moyen RS-3087.

An alternative to the Bostic is 3M Scotch 847.

I don't know what's available to you, but that's what I have here.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

hi Edgewound,

thanks for your reply. I have found the 3M EC 847 here in Germany for about 10 EUR (13US). If you dont see anything against it I will go ahead and order 150ml.

Should I be careful about applying as little as possible? I would add the glue on top of the surround, from the front (access to this outer part of the surround from the back would more difficult), just to make the surface of glue to touch both sides and bind them.

Would you also recommend adding an even thinner cover of glue over the surround at places where they seem to be already quite fragile?

This things (E145) are really monsters, I had never seen such a heavy beast! The chassis rim is so thick I was wondering how they were traditionally attached to an enclosure, perhaps not flush mounted?

PS: I had mistakenly written "Spider" instead of "surround" in my original post, I hope I did not confuse you... I have edited it now. It is the surround, not the spider which is broken.

Use the glue sparingly.

You could apply it with a Q-tip or cotton swap on the spider.

On the surround: You can also apply it sparingly to the weak points.

To reinforce the entire surround, you can thin the glue down a little with acetone and then carefully paint the entire circumference of the surround with an acid brush...these are cheap at an auto parts store. Or use a 1/2" (10mm) bristle paint brush....fairly stiff bristles.

Paint on two coats...that should hold you till you need a recone.

Usually on surrounds I use a water based polyvinyl acetate for speakers, but that's harder to find commercially for the end user, and the rubber cement works just fine but isn't as pretty.

Good luck.

Oh...somtimes the E145 was recessed a little like in the 4628B.

Edgewound, I am infinitely thankful! I am sorry writing "spider" instead of "surround" in my original (now corrected) post, only the latter has a problem. Other than that, the cones and the rest of the driver are in very good shape.

Your tip about painting the surround sounds very good, i´ll first repair the place where it is open and then paint the entire surround.

I have seen the speakers at JJ for $600 a pair ! Now I am even happier thinking how much I paid for mine!

If you send me a PM with your adress I'll send you a tube of JBL CP Moyen RS-3087

Sometimes it could be so easy....

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    If you send me a PM with your adress I'll send you a tube of JBL CP Moyen RS-3087

Sometimes it could be so easy....
    Nice offer Guido.

I hope you don't think I was stepping on your toes. I didn't ask for his address .

!!!

Wow Guido, you are a VERY nice guy! You have PM.

Tausend Dank, echt Klasse

Hey Ochoa, welcome to the forum.

Those are GREAT woofers you got.

scottyj

Scott, thanks for the welcome. I have been starring at them since I got them yesterday! The were mistakenly shipped to my girlfriends house, about 350 meters away from my place, and boy did I sweat carrying that box with the two woofers in it .

Thread Information