Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any idea what's wrong with my K120?

A barmaid

Ebay Scoundrels!

So here's an update on my K120...

Thanks to help and advice on this board I was able to track down a local speaker repair guy a couple of days ago, describe to him the likely issue (which he immediately agreed was probably the correct diagnosis). $30 and 2 days later he has it going again. Problem was exactly to do with a lead in wire.

Now here's the kicker: my repair guy wanted to give the money back (I insisted he keep it as a token of good faith) because he thinks his fix won't hold up over time. Apparently, somebody had already tried to repair the problem and in the process had left very little lead wire left to work with. He even showed me how there was a distinctly larger blob of solder on one of the wires than the other left from the prior fix attempt.

Of course, I bought this speaker from an ebay seller who claimed all original, no work, etc. etc. As a kicker, I knew something didn't seem right about this seller when I found out the guy lived only a matter of miles from me but he still adamantly refused a local pick-up (even at a neutral destination), then proceeded to flame me for not asking before buying -- wasn't like I was trying to get out of the deal, just wanted to save $$ on shipping. In any event, it looks like this scoundrel's previous repair held up just long enough for him to get away with one. Live and learn, I guess.

Anyway, I'd really like to thank you guys here for helping me understand the problem so I could get a handle on what to do. Special thanks to edgewound who PM'd me for additional back and forth. Clearly you guys are class acts and I just wanted you to know that your time and integrity are much appreciated!

All the best and happy new year,

Vince

Thread Information