Thread: Love for array 1000

Love for array 1000

hi guys,

a question apt on an economic downturn:

if i want to scale my purchase of a new JBL, given that I'm not prepared to make an outlay for the asking price of a 1400, what's the sonic implication of starting with the more modestly priced 1000 array, then upgrade to a really nice sub sometime down the road?

will the sound be comparable to a full-on array 1400? my hesitation is that I'm not getting the array 1400 midrange driver if i take that 1000 array route, and that may impact the over-all sound.

your thoughts guys will be appreciated.

Bad news Polar bear

Sorry to let you know but the Array 1000 and Array 800's have been discontinued.

It breaks my heart because they were great. I think I have one pair of each left.

Sound wise the 1400's are far more superior.

Polar bear, you have a PM

Obsolete
    There is also the SAM1HF and SAM2LF route.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    There is also the SAM1HF and SAM2LF route.
    ...which is a route well worth traveling.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    ...which is a route well worth traveling.
    I agree. I like the idea of being able to put the SAM1HF with a variety of LF drivers. I also like the fact that the drivers in the SAM2LF are superior to the drivers in the 800 Array, 880 Array and 1000 Array. I think Jerry did a really nice job with their design. I like to think of it as a modern LE8T-H.

Incidentally, and I've said it before, the 800 Array was deemed the smoothest of the series and they go quite well with the 1500 Arrays. I'd personally have to replace that eight inch in the 800 Array with the eight inch in the SAM2LF just as a matter of principle but whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I agree. I like the idea of being able to put the SAM1HF with a variety of LF drivers. I also like the fact that the drivers in the SAM2LF are superior to the drivers in the 800 Array, 880 Array and 1000 Array. I think Jerry did a really nice job with their design. I like to think of it as a modern LE8T-H.

Incidentally, and I've said it before, the 800 Array was deemed the smoothest of the series and they go quite well with the 1500 Arrays. I'd personally have to replace that eight inch in the 800 Array with the eight inch in the SAM2LF just as a matter of principle but whatever works.
    thanks..

but what about crossovers? what outboard options do we have? are we tied to the JBL processors to run it?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by polar_bear_0104 View Post
    thanks..

but what about crossovers? what outboard options do we have? are we tied to the JBL processors to run it?
    Nope. We've published the Array Series networks and JBL has a SAM12X passive network. Greg also provided a bi-amp solution.

What is the going rate for a SAM1HF and SAM2LF?

The horn units/parts were pretty tough to get if remember correctly so the only way would be to buy the finished units?

Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    The horn units/parts were pretty tough to get if remember correctly so the only way would be to buy the finished units?
    $1700 and $1100 respectively if you do the research and the relationship building. One-off, low-balling contacts seldom if ever work. I've seen the passive networks for under $300, so for about three grand you'd have one set; double it for a pair.

Before anyone asks, no, I do not know anyone who will sell below those prices to a non-regular customer. (Sorry, not meant to be as harsh as it seemed.)

However, the above prices and slightly better are findable on the Web, though you will probably be working in gray market territory, so be sure to check if a warranty is important to you.
    Out.

Thanks

At least I know what ballpark they're in; I can definitely see moving in that direction in the future. I really enjoy my 4430s but would love to see what a couple of decades of progression does.

Thread Information