Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL 240Ti value

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    If the woofer was refoamed on the the front side, it does not really affect performance - it's there to keep the front of the cone centered on the frame while the spider places the voicecoil in the gap.
    Surrounds get no respect...

Hey, what do you guys think about Jerry's new 1501FE with the cloth surround? I might just have to pick up a few of them even if they are Made In <Anywhere but U.S.A.>

1501fe

An idea who's time has come around (again).

Real value given the current surround materials science state?
    or a nostalgic nod to the past for those that feel no foam is good foam?
    (I'll confess there is a certain appeal for me)

I'd sure like to hear the system based on them (4365).

All I want for Christmas :

Name:  Screen shot 2010-12-21 at 10.13.50 AM.jpg
Views: 2837
Size:  24.8 KB

For comparison, there's another pair of 240Ti's on CL in DC for $725. No affiliation.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...135266965.html

As someone who once wanted a set and in no way trying to be a downer, I note that they are not moving at that price

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

The 240ti is a gorgeous speaker system....especially if not abused.

The teak cabinetry is very unique in the JBL legacy line-up and has "class" written all over it. The richness of the wood develops over the years with proper care and feeding with teak oil.

The LE14H-1 must be repaired/refoamed properly as a recone kit seems to not be available nowadays. Placing the surround on anywhere but on the back of the cone is just a shortcut and ruins the cone for any future repairs done right. Since the cone and voice coil are so industrial grade on this driver, and rarely are they fried, replacing the spider and surround can result in a nearly recone equivalent. It just takes patience....like anything else....to do it right and with care.

240ti is beautiful and has it's place in the family of floor standers.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

They are very nice to look at, 'tis true. They really sound pretty good, just not 250Ti good.

I had an open house here last summer and played my "beater" pair in the garage for the guests, and they were pretty impressed. Of course, many of them are sat/sub owners, so any full-range speaker will be enlightening.

There's still another pair virtually NIB in my garage, too, that I should set up. They are gorgeous, really, and I doubt anyone will ever pay me what I think they're worth. I might as well use them... but, where?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    The 240ti is a gorgeous speaker system....especially if not abused.

The teak cabinetry is very unique in the JBL legacy line-up and has "class" written all over it. The richness of the wood develops over the years with proper care and feeding with teak oil.

240ti is beautiful and has it's place in the family of floor standers.

Agreed! Below are a few pictures of mine before I sold them to a LH member. When oiling, DON'T get the oil on the driver frames, or they'll be all shiney and yucky!

:Name:  240Ti 011.jpg
Views: 4462
Size:  139.7 KB
    Name:  240Ti 009.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  198.9 KB
    Name:  240Ti 010.jpg
Views: 3130
Size:  209.6 KB

I'm in the cloth surround fan club also.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Hey, what do you guys think about Jerry's new 1501FE with the cloth surround? I might just have to pick up a few of them even if they are Made In <Anywhere but U.S.A.>
    I wonder what they would cost us?

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    They are very nice to look at, 'tis true. They really sound pretty good, just not 250Ti good.

I had an open house here last summer and played my "beater" pair in the garage for the guests, and they were pretty impressed. Of course, many of them are sat/sub owners, so any full-range speaker will be enlightening.

There's still another pair virtually NIB in my garage, too, that I should set up. They are gorgeous, really, and I doubt anyone will ever pay me what I think they're worth. I might as well use them... but, where?
    I remember them well. They didn't sound bad and then you turned on the XPL-160's and the little XPL's blew them away! Better definition, punchier, more midrange output, it was no contest for me (IMHO). If I had to choose between the two, I'd know which one I'd be looking for. Ditto on the 250Ti comments as well.

I'm not quite sure why the 240Ti doesn't get the love and respect of the 250Ti. I bought a pair for $275 about 5 years back that needed refoaming. I sold them to a friend (at cost) to get him into the JBL family. He's a single guy with lots of disposable income, he's a musician, and he eats, sleeps and breathes music. The fact that he still has them (and LOVES them) speaks volumes. I visit his place frequently (and vice versa) and frankly, they sound a lot more like the 250Ti than this thread would lead you to believe. They only lack a little quickness/impact in the snare drum area as they don't have the 108h 8" lower mid driver.

They're a f'ing steal at anything under $750 imho and you'd frankly be very hard pressed to equal them new for less than $2k, maybe more. And yes the XPL160 might have been more of a "wow" speaker for demos and parties (I know, I had the 140) but for something to live with long term, it's very hard to beat the larger Ti's.

jblnut

Remember that the 044ti tweeter is going to have less output over time as the foam rubber behind the dome rots away. There are no more new diaphragm kits available for these tweeters, so it's going to be rare to hear these speakers sounding as good as they should. I love the sound of these speakers when they're working well, but I'd invest elsewhere.

I'm curious how to assess/quanitfy this reduction in output over time. Mine certainly do not seem to have lost anything in the upper registers. Is is possible for this "foam rot" to cause no harm, or perhaps an insignifigant amount ? If this foam was used for dampening, is it also possible that it might actually damp less and therefore cause some spikes/peaks in response instead?

I'm certainly not ready to run from the Ti's without a fight at least. How bad is this really and how likely is it to affect every single 044Ti over time? And how much time at that ?

There's pages and pages of tweeters in the PE catalog, as well as some other JBL units that would fit with some work. I reckon if/when the time comes I'll bite the bullet and swap something else in there rather than scrap 2 250Ti's.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Remember that the 044ti tweeter is going to have less output over time as the foam rubber behind the dome rots away. .
    why shud we remember that ? just a supposition, not a known fact

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I'm curious how to assess/quanitfy this reduction in output over time. Mine certainly do not seem to have lost anything in the upper registers. Is is possible for this "foam rot" to cause no harm, or perhaps an insignifigant amount ? If this foam was used for dampening, is it also possible that it might actually damp less and therefore cause some spikes/peaks in response instead?

jblnut
    we kinda hashed that out ...

HERE ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ns-Help-needed

and IF you are really worried, the foam isnt that hard to replace
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'm not worried and mine ain't broke...(yet anyway)

It certainly wouldn't deter me from buying a nice set of 240TI's *if* I could hear them first and they sounded good. But I can see how others might see the end of the line with no more new parts available. It's something we're all going to have to get used to in the legacy JBL world. We've been spared a fate that many other speakers of a similar vintage have suffered long ago - no more factory parts.

I've got a new 044TI in the box (thanks Giskard) and a pair of 120's standing by as donors. My "end of the line" is quite a ways out on the horizon. I hope my kids and grandkids will be rocking the house with 250's long into the future!

:-)

jblnut

I can only speak from my own experience, and I'm going by memory. The tweeters that I worked on had gooey rotted foam residue inside. The treble sounded rolled off compared to other speakers that I had for comparison. I measured the output at only one frequency, 5Khz if I recall correctly, then rebuilt them with new diaphragms and re-measured. They were 6db higher after the rebuild. And the speakers sounded much better. I don't see why any other of the same tweeters would have lasted much longer, the environment was not much a factor since the rotted foam is on the inside of the tweeter. I'd think that most of the tweeters have the same or similar problems as mine did by now. We all know that foam rubber doesn't last forever.

Thread Information