Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L212 towers - why not - stacked!

JBL L212 towers - why not - stacked!

We had a couple trees come down June 27th which means a lot of yard work for this retired soul. Got the stump ground down Tues so I've been wheelbarrowing the chips around,
    but after heavy rainstorms last night, the chips are heavy, and - time for kicking back and music fun.
    So, over time, I managed to collect 2 pairs of L212 speakers, one pair walnut, one pair looks to be teak. But, neither pair had the fragile B212 bass module (subwoofer)
    so I've used a B&K Volkswoofer to bring up the bottom end.
    And, after seeing images of 3 pair stacked, I'd been threatening my local friends for ages that I'd stack my pair to see and hear what's up.
    And today was the day ...
    Using Emma's iPad with Apple's Remote app to play (lossless) tracks locally via iTunes through a Wiim Pro and the Carver Amp
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Interesting... I was picturing them stacked vertically... tweeter to tweeter 'top' unit upside down (physical stability would be 'fun')

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Interesting... I was picturing them stacked vertically... tweeter to tweeter 'top' unit upside down (physical stability would be 'fun')
    Not sure how stable a top-down stack would be. But the mini wall-of-Sound actually sounds pretty good.
    Emma came down and played some tracks (lossless local streaming from iTunes), and Fantasy from Earth Wind and Fire was most impressive ...
    tho I may have just a titch too much bass and need to slightly dial back the Volkswoofer.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Cool

Nice compact.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Nice stacked 8" 3 ways!!! With Sub!!! Hey where are my stacked Advents???? Remember when they were all the rage! I ran stacked L25 on L100's for a while. It was fun!!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Cool idea

Looks like fun!
    JBL Pro for home use!

LOVE the "Wall of Sound"!

Aesthetically perhaps not so much, but if you have it why not have fun with it.

Widget

Someone in Western MA had 3 pairs stacked like this on Craigslist a few years back. Wish I had grabbed a pic of it !I bet it sounds great. Some of our local hang has experimented with stacking and running multiple pairs of speakers concurrently and it almost always comes out sounding better than a single pair.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Someone in Western MA had 3 pairs stacked like this on Craigslist a few years back. Wish I had grabbed a pic of it !I bet it sounds great. Some of our local hang has experimented with stacking and running multiple pairs of speakers concurrently and it almost always comes out sounding better than a single pair.
    I saw images of a triple stack and it was my inspiration to try the twin-stack
    I had found a pair on ebay around Christmas 2016 and while they had some issues, I got answers from the amazing Subwoof on how to fix the 066 tweeters ... and center the rattling mid-bass driver.
    When the 2nd pair turned up in FLA on Audiokarma, all I had to do was figure how to get them here (uShip).
    The first pair I got had walnut bases, the 2nd pair appears to have Teak bases, together, they sound better than they have any right to!
    But no, I am not looking for a third pair ... (tho someone locally was selling a pair last summer).

Not my stack - This was my inspiration ages ago ... images found on AudioKarma.

That's them !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    That's them !!!
    Yeah, the truly amazing thing is he had 3 (apparently) working B212 bass modules!
    I'm using an old Volkswoofer thats been my goto Sub with the magnepans I had, and now with these.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yeah, the truly amazing thing is he had 3 (apparently) working B212 bass modules! I'm using an old Volkswoofer thats been my goto Sub with the magnepans I had, and now with these.
    All I hear is Zilch saying, "combing." But they look good.

That stack looks cool, dig the house too. Floofy cat!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yeah, the truly amazing thing is he had 3 (apparently) working B212 bass modules!
    I didn't remember the B212s as being that large. I guess back in the day, we were used to larger speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    All I hear is Zilch saying, "combing." But they look good.
    I do miss him... and yes, that is a very cool looking set-up in an uber geek sort of way.

Widget

I am confused. Would they not sound better with the tweeters on the outside like the 43XX?

Thread Information