Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 240Ti value

JBL 240Ti value

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of JBL 240Ti speakers from the original owner. The cabinets are in exceptional shape with no nicks or scratches anywhere. All the driver's are original. The only repair ever done was the replacement of the woofer surrounds at a licensed JBL dealer at a cost of $287. I know the market is down now, but he is asking $1000. I am hoping to get them for $800, what do you guys think about acquiring these speakers at this price?

Scott
    JBL L15
    Parting Out>>JBL Athena S99

If you have heard them and fallen in love with them, go for it. If you're thinking of an investment in future collectability, take a pass. I paid $600 for a perfect pair about 8yrs ago, didn't like the sound (they don't compare to 250Ti's, despite the driver similarity), but I still have them as they're hard to sell - to big to ship, not worth enough to make the effort to crate them, and my pair is too clean to part out.

Unfortunately, 240Ti's just aren't that desirable, so they don't sell at any premium over the drivers' raw values. I haven't seen a no-reserve Ebay auction on them, but several sellers keep putting clean sets up at $899 or a thousand and they don't sell. A year or two ago TiDome was offering his clean pair to LH members for $600 and I don't think he sold them. They have a great woofer (LE14H-1) that's worth $175-200 each if pristine. The 044Ti tweeters are also rare, you may be able to get $150 for a perfect pair. The 104H midranges are probably worth $80/pr. Crossovers and cabinets have little or no value, so you get $630 in parts value. Normally, perfect pairs would be worth much more to collectors, but this model seems to be collector proof and is desired mainly for its parts. Good luck, and let us know if you get them!

Yes, not a nibble at $600, not even at $550.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Unfortunately, 240Ti's just aren't that desirable, so they don't sell at any premium over the drivers' raw values.
    Have any of you considered Zilching the 104H and 044Ti in those things with a waveguide and 2452H-SL?

While I liked the 240Ti well enough I can also see why it was the model guys settled for at the time because they just couldn't swing the extra cash for the 250Ti. It's a better system than the L100T or L100t3, which people seem to like for some reason.

Should work.

Name:  page07.jpg
Views: 11398
Size:  149.2 KB

I haven't listened to mine in probably 3yrs, but my memory was that the bass definition did not compare to my 250TiLe's - I blamed the resonant enclosure, though it could also be tuning or size. I didn't pursue it any further. I would scavenge the woofer for a project in a new enclosure before I modified the stock one. Opinions anyone?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Should work.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I haven't listened to mine in probably 3yrs, but my memory was that the bass definition did not compare to my 250TiLe's - I blamed the resonant enclosure, though it could also be tuning or size. I didn't pursue it any further. I would scavenge the woofer for a project in a new enclosure before I modified the stock one. Opinions anyone?
    A narrower box with some actual bracing inside and that waveguide on top for a modern L200T or "quick and dirty" 1400 Array. Sell the 104H's and 044Ti's to guys who need spares for their 18Ti's, 120Ti's and 240Ti's.

Seriously, if you guys don't like these things then make them into something you do like...

I wouldn't have the heart to part them as they are all original and in MINT condition. The cabinets are simply gorgeous. The only concern is that one of the woofers was re-foamed incorrectly with an aftermarket kit even though it cost $257 at a high end shop. Apparently they could not order the factory surrounds. Can this be corrected? If not, how much does this affect the value?

I am enamored with vintage JBL andd Altec sound, however these sound more like the contemporary JBL designs and have a more subdued and warm sound to them, not like the monitor sound of the 70's. I imagine its because of the networks and "could" sound like vintage JBL with some crossover mods or active crossovers.
    JBL L15

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleViking View Post
    I wouldn't have the heart to part them as they are all original and in MINT condition. The cabinets are simply gorgeous. The only concern is that one of the woofers was re-foamed incorrectly with an aftermarket kit even though it cost $257 at a high end shop. Apparently they could not order the factory surrounds. Can this be corrected? If not, how much does this affect the value?
    JBL never issued "factory surrounds", only re-cone kits from what I gather. So anybody doing a re-surround job is using an aftermarket foam kit. But there are good foam kits out there, like those from Rick Cobb.

If they were mine (and I wanted to either keep OR sell them), I'd have both woofers re-foamed with kits from Rick Cobb. Being a high-end shop doesn't strictly translate into a shop that knows shit from shinola. There are some really top notch guys out there that do superior work, that's what you want. Edgewound is a good example, I have some of his work and it's exemplary.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleViking View Post
    ...The only concern is that one of the woofers was re-foamed incorrectly with an aftermarket kit even though it cost $257 at a high end shop. Apparently they could not order the factory surrounds. Can this be corrected? If not, how much does this affect the value? ...

I am enamored with vintage JBL andd Altec sound, however these sound more like the contemporary JBL designs and have a more subdued and warm sound to them, not like the monitor sound of the 70's. I imagine its because of the networks and "could" sound like vintage JBL with some crossover mods or active crossovers.
    a) $257 could be a fair price for a full recone by an authorized tech. $257 for one refoam? That's what the Pentagon would pay.

b) your preference for the vintage JBL/Altec sound will likely make this a poor investment for you.

c) the 240ti model was a later evolution of JBL sound. You could make a retro sound model out of it but you would have to swap the mid and perhaps the tweeter, completely revise the crossover, and change the tuning of the enclosure.

Thinking you should pass on these.
    David F
    San Jose

Before I picked up a set of XPL200 earlier this year, I was looking for quite some time for a really nice set of 240ti's. Let me tell you, there is a price difference depending where you are. In the midwest, a nice clean set will run you around $700 to maybe $750, and they are hard to find. On the coasts, they seem much more availabe, and probably $150 or more cheaper. I don't know why that is, but it was what I found, and I was looking for a long time.

I could have had them shipped from the coasts for the same total cost as pickup in the midwest, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Clean one are also harder to find. Basket cases yes, pristine samples are far and few between.

I'm not sure why there was a price difference, but the coasts were cheaper, especially west.

Just my two cents.
    Brett

It was done well and performs perfectly. The surround just wasn't attached on the underside of the cone as it was originally. The other surround is original as still in perfect condition. I just don't know how much this would affect the value, I can't imagine it would affect the performance any? And no it was not a re-cone, just new surrounds were installed.

I agree about the sound not suiting my tastes, but I am really impressed with the driver compliment and cabinets, they are gorgeous!

I already know I will have to do some cabinet tuning and crossover finessing to get them to perform like I would like. I am thinking active crossovers will be the way to go.
    JBL L15

I will be meeting him on Thursday to hopefully make a deal, I'll let you guys know how things go.
    JBL L15

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

A narrower box with some actual bracing inside and that waveguide on top for a modern L200T or "quick and dirty" 1400 Array. Sell the 104H's and 044Ti's to guys who need spares for their 18Ti's, 120Ti's and 240Ti's.

Seriously, if you guys don't like these things then make them into something you do like...

The box aint so bad as I remember and you could winkle effective bracing in there through the bass driver hole. Use gorilla glue to stick em in. Crude but effective The cab has a nice roundover on the front edges so diffraction will be reduced. Not a bad start. . It looks as if the PT-H 1010 will cover the mid and tweet cutouts so you get a nice cosmetic job and as far as I recall Zilch has the x/o done and dusted. Given that the bass driver is one of the best they made ( of its time ) you have the beginnings of something potentially very very good indeed.
    It might seem like a long path but then rome was not built in a day !

If the woofer was refoamed on the the front side, it does not really affect performance - it's there to keep the front of the cone centered on the frame while the spider places the voicecoil in the gap. The foam is pliant enough that I really don't think it would make a difference. However, once you've glued it to the front it cannot be removed placed on the back. If you want to correct it, you're out a recone ($275 or so) or you can buy a used (maybe NOS) woofer to replace it for $175-200 if you're patient. I've got three Le14H-1's that are refoamed incorrectly, but I can't bring myself to recone them - I found beautiful used ones for cheaper.

I appreciate that you've decided you have to have these speakers, but between the premium price, the bad foam, and the fact you don't love the sound, I think this may be a deal you'll wish you had passed on after the newness wears off. Myself, I'd keep saving for a pair of 250Ti's...

Thread Information