Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashly for 4343?

Ashly for 4343?

Hi, friends,

Please enlighten this novice audiophile on XOVER and its relevance to woofer.
    The other day I obtained Ashy XR1001 for biamping 4343.
    As you might know, the built-in frequence range for this 4343 LOW is 300Hz,
    but this Ashly has 400Hz as the starting point.
    So, does this higher XOVER point (400Hz) have any effect on 4343's 300hz woofer,
    more or less bass sound? If so, what's the best solution?
    I have a Behringer XOVER (kindly loaned by our mutual friend Paul), and JBL M552, for both XOVERs,
    I can control the frequency button close to 300Hz, fortunately. I know the best thing is to trust your ear, but I still want to know any relevance out there. Any idea? Thanks a lot for your input and suggestion in advance.

I don't have one, but I happen to have a manual downloaded because I was looking at acquiring one.

There is a divide by 10 switch on the unit (the LED is let when active). Which changes the crossover range frombetween 40 to 800 and between 400 to 8000 hz.

You can download the manual from the web if you don't have one.

Let us know how it works, because I thought this might be an OK way to go.

Flip the switch and go from there!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Hi, friends,

Please enlighten this novice audiophile on XOVER and its relevance to woofer.
    The other day I obtained Ashy XR1001 for biamping 4343.
    As you might know, the built-in frequence range for this 4343 LOW is 300Hz,
    but this Ashly has 400Hz as the starting point.
    So, does this higher XOVER point (400Hz) have any effect on 4343's 300hz woofer,
    more or less bass sound? If so, what's the best solution?
    I have a Behringer XOVER (kindly loaned by our mutual friend Paul), and JBL M552, for both XOVERs,
    I can control the frequency button close to 300Hz, fortunately. I know the best thing is to trust your ear, but I still want to know any relevance out there. Any idea? Thanks a lot for your input and suggestion in advance.
    Works fine with my 4341 system - got the button on the Ashly set in the divide by 10 range and set on (approx) 290cps errrr Hz ... does the job.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Works fine with my 4341 system - got the button on the Ashly set in the divide by 10 range and set on (approx) 290cps errrr Hz ... does the job.
    As you know, I use this Ashly in a 2-way stereo, where the crossover point starts 400Hz.
    But if I want to do as you suggest, I have to push the mono 3-way button. Is this what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by brett_s View Post
    I don't have one, but I happen to have a manual downloaded because I was looking at acquiring one.

There is a divide by 10 switch on the unit (the LED is let when active). Which changes the crossover range frombetween 40 to 800 and between 400 to 8000 hz.

You can download the manual from the web if you don't have one.

Let us know how it works, because I thought this might be an OK way to go.

Flip the switch and go from there!

Brett
    Thanks for the suggestion. In that case I have to push the mono 3-way button to switch to the frequency range between 40 and 800. Right?

The divide by 10 dip switch and the 2way/3way button are independent from each other.

Leave it in 2way, find the divide by 10 dip switch, and all should be fine.

Again, I don't have one, only the manual. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Brett

It should work fine. The "recessed Range switch" requires you to push it in with a small probe. The button you're pushing is recessed behind the hole where indicated. The lights will indicate whether you're on the inner ("normal") band on the Crossover Frequency knob (400Hz to 8kHz, green light) or the outer (÷10, 40Hz to 800Hz, yellow light).

Works great on my 4345s.

This applies to my XR1001. If you have the later XR-1001 (possibly made in China), I can't be sure that's how yours works though the manuals make it appear the same with the word "Crossover" missing from the knob label on the later version.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Sorry for the blur - the flash made it worse, and its not well lit in that corner of the room at night. Best I could do on short notice.
    Anyway - Ashly XR1001 - note the recessed hole with the push button inside for "RANGE" - note the RANGE light is on when its in divide by 10 mode ...

Each of the 2 channels has this setup

Go forth and do likewise

Name:  Ashly_4225.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  41.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Press the RANGE switch so that the yellow LED lights up which will indicate that you are the 40-800Hz range. Dial the CROSSOVER dial to somewhere between the markings 2K and 4K (which is now 200 - 400 Hz) and all should be fine.
    Name:  Ashley XR1001.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  18.3 KB
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC˛ ±3db

Awww...Miss Heather beat me to it.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC˛ ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sorry for the blur - the flash made it worse, and its not well lit in that corner of the room at night. Best I could do on short notice.
    Anyway - Ashly XR1001 - note the recessed hole with the push button inside for "RANGE" - note the RANGE light is on when its in divide by 10 mode ...

Each of the 2 channels has this setup

Go forth and do likewise

Name:  Ashly_4225.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  41.5 KB
    Thanks so much! I just did so, and the RANGE light is on.
    Now I think I have to try Ashly afresh, and feel the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    Press the RANGE switch so that the yellow LED lights up which will indicate that you are the 40-800Hz range. Dial the CROSSOVER dial to somewhere between the markings 2K and 4K (which is now 200 - 400 Hz) and all should be fine.
    Name:  Ashley XR1001.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  18.3 KB
    Thanks a lot. You're super! I pushed the inside button (RANGE swtich), and the green light is on. I reset the XOVER dial between 2K and 4K, as you suggested. I'm going to try this newly set Ashly for any difference from other XOVER brands like JBL M552.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It should work fine. The "recessed Range switch" requires you to push it in with a small probe. The button you're pushing is recessed behind the hole where indicated. The lights will indicate whether you're on the inner ("normal") band on the Crossover Frequency knob (400Hz to 8kHz, green light) or the outer (÷10, 40Hz to 800Hz, yellow light).

Works great on my 4345s.

This applies to my XR1001. If you have the later XR-1001 (possibly made in China), I can't be sure that's how yours works though the manuals make it appear the same with the word "Crossover" missing from the knob label on the later version.
    Bravo! Thanks for your nice explanation. Novice like me couldn't notice something like RANGE switch inside the hole. By the way, I've just confirmed it's made in USA, with production identificatin Q2-02.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Thanks a lot. You're super! I pushed the inside button (RANGE swtich), and the green light is on. I reset the XOVER dial between 2K and 4K, as you suggested. I'm going to try this newly set Ashly for any difference from other XOVER brands like JBL M552.

If the GREEN light is lit, you've set it to 3,000Hz (3kHz), not 300Hz! Push the button again until the YELLOW light comes on. Here's my setup:

Name:  DSC_1613.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  34.7 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    If the GREEN light is lit, you've set it to 3,000Hz (3kHz), not 300Hz! Push the button again until the YELLOW light comes on. Here's my setup:

Name:  DSC_1613.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  34.7 KB
    Ooops! Thanks so much for correcting me! I just did so.

Thread Information