Thread: Behringer A500

JBL 4645

Behringer A500

I see on the Behringer site the amp is rated at 600watts or 300watts for each side, yet I see elsewhere its rated at 250watts or bridged 500watts so now I’m confused Have Behringer made mark I and mark II models with different power ratings?

The specs on Behringer site states 600watts
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/A500.aspx

The listing on ebay states 500watts
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1899wt_868

its very confusing

and I read today that a law was passed back in the late 70's as many compained about this very thing. RMS at 8, 4, 6, 2 ohms is a big difference. Bride mono lets them double even more. I just found out that my realistic 1977 STA-51 amp is NOT 100 watts, which would have meant 50 watts per channel, but is actually 7 watts ONLY and that can damage
    my JBL4311WX speakers.

I just got them fixed and running again after 20 years of no use, and need to find just
    a used power amp to run them. I think I will head to Guitar Center and look at the
    Power amps that DJ's use, that are only 2 channel 200 watts.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!! Who would want to bridge mono unless a PA system with a voice
    and not music, unless you used two bridged systems to get stereo.....

Very confusing.....

Quote Originally Posted by ctguy1955 View Post
    and I read today that a law was passed back in the late 70's as many compained about this very thing. RMS at 8, 4, 6, 2 ohms is a big difference. Bride mono lets them double even more. I just found out that my realistic 1977 STA-51 amp is NOT 100 watts, which would have meant 50 watts per channel, but is actually 7 watts ONLY and that can damage
    my JBL4311WX speakers.

I just got them fixed and running again after 20 years of no use, and need to find just
    a used power amp to run them. I think I will head to Guitar Center and look at the
    Power amps that DJ's use, that are only 2 channel 200 watts.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!! Who would want to bridge mono unless a PA system with a voice
    and not music, unless you used two bridged systems to get stereo.....

Very confusing.....
    I have an older Harman Kardon power amp I bridged to mono to run my subwoofer.
    Gives me an honest 450+ w/ch in mono - works great.
    Some folks here have said they run amps bridged mono to run individual speakers in their music system - it happens ...

Probably lots of amps available with an honest 50-100w/ch for 4310/11 type speakers for a couple hundred bucks. You might have to do a bit of research and look around a bit ... and go try them out.

I run the mains in that system with a pair of Adcom GFA-555 amps - think I got them for under $300 each ... and they are an honest 200w/ch ... and have, so far, needed no work. I've seen some of the lesser Adcom amps for $100 or so ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thank you HJAMES

SO with a 5.1 or 7.1 system, the bass is always mono as its the same channel, so that would make perfect sense. Nice to know !!!!

I dont have much money at this point, so I would have to go used and Id be lucky to scrape up 125, so Im hoping that a used PA system amp at guitar could do the trick.

I guess I have to learn more about music and how frequency response time and mega hertz all falls into play. Kind of like a car, I can drive em, but I cant tear apart and engine and re-build it.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it very much.

Of course, Mr. Widget gave you essentially the same info about power levels for your speakers in another one of your 4311WX threads ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    In the JBL pro catalog the 4311s were rated at 40 watts continuous... ratings and specs are only useful to a point. (edit)

Amps like speakers do degrade with time. I use a refurbished Marantz 2275 with my L100s and I doubt more power would really make much of a difference. Do realize there is essentially no difference between 60 watts and 75 watts, however the difference between a great 60 watt amp and an average 75 watt amp might be huge... I don't think the 4311/L100 will really do a great 60 watt amp justice though so sticking with something like an Onkyo, a Marantz, a Denon, or a vintage Yamaha or Pioneer should all give you very satisfactory results.

Widget
    As an aside - I have a pair of L200s that are now heavily modified - I have run them with an older Yamaha CR-1020 Receiver (about 85w/ch) and now use an old Carver receiver rated at 100+w/ch. Paid about $150 for the Carver...

If you look around and do some research there are a lot of possible solutions to your situation ...
    just don't be in a rush and do some research.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by ctguy1955 View Post
    SO with a 5.1 or 7.1 system, the bass is always mono as its the same channel, so that would make perfect sense. Nice to know !!!!

I dont have much money at this point, so I would have to go used and Id be lucky to scrape up 125, so Im hoping that a used PA system amp at guitar could do the trick.

I guess I have to learn more about music and how frequency response time and mega hertz all falls into play. Kind of like a car, I can drive em, but I cant tear apart and engine and re-build it.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it very much.
    if you are extremely budget limited...
    try talking to some local musicians...

lots of players i know tend to have a fair amount of gear around "collecting dust"
    and lower powered amplifiers, especially older ones, tend to go for little money in those circles....

good luck!

The amp is about 150w into 8 Ohms.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I see on the Behringer site the amp is rated at 600watts or 300watts for each side, yet I see elsewhere its rated at 250watts or bridged 500watts so now I’m confused Have Behringer made mark I and mark II models with different power ratings?

The specs on Behringer site states 600watts
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/A500.aspx

The listing on ebay states 500watts
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1899wt_868

I have one at the Radio station to power a pair 4412A, sounds very nice.
    The output power is determined by the load impedance. Thus the amp will deliver 150W into an 8 Ohm load, and 300W into a 4 Ohm load, etc.
    Bridged mode is usually used to drive sub.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

That's strange, i have an A-500 which i recently bought and in the manual it says 250 watts @4 ohms per chan and 500 watts bridged, as far as i know, they been making the same amp same specs since they first came out

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by coruphius View Post
    That's strange, i have an A-500 which i recently bought and in the manual it says 250 watts @4 ohms per chan and 500 watts bridged, as far as i know, they been making the same amp same specs since they first came out
    That’s what I thought because I recall reading the old specs before they gave the site a new make-over. I think it was last year.

Thread Information