Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec Utility Cabinets (612 & 614)

deltalab

Altec Utility Cabinets (612 & 614)

Dear Altec Fans & Friends

i'm searching for a pair of original painted (silver/metal) 'Altec utility Cabinets' either '612' or '614' ... Can anyone help me finding those?

Does anyone have pictures of them other than the ones on this website?

what speaker units in the 612 did they use at abbey road? does anyone know that? And what power amps was used to drive the speakers?

best regards
    thomas troelsen

http://www.deltalab.dk

Hi Thomas,

The Altec 612 cabinet began life as the bass reflex (resonator, as Jim Lansing called it) cabinet of the Lansing Iconic. I am fortunate to own several of these. When the Altec Lansing Duplex driver debuted, it was most often fitted to this box. If you have pictures of Abbey Road studios showing these enclosures, they almost certainly housed whatever version of the 604 was being produced at the time of their manufacture. The 604 in the 612 cabinet was so commonly used in recording studios for several decades that it was considered a true standard.

I have made careful blueprint drawings of the Lansing Iconic 612 enclosure; please email me if you would like a scan of the drawings. Later Altec 612s (of the same appearance) deviate only slightly from the dimensions of the original.

Hi Thomas,

I am sorry to say that I do not have a line on a pair of 612s, but I wanted to compliment you on your super cool looking studio!

Good luck with your quest!

Widget

deltalab
    Thank you both for yoru reply. Will you sell a pair of your altec 612??? pleeeeaassse.

thanks for the compliments about delta lab

cheers
    thomas

Guy L
    Hi Thomas,

Your studio is beautiful.
    I own a pair of Altec "Big Red", studio monitors, and can take the measurements of the cabinets for you, if you like.

Regards,

Guy

"Your Studio is Beautiful..."

No doubt!!

But, where's all the dang cables!!

I have more in my family room! Jeeze... The Cable Police must have an evergreen contract for that studio! Youzer...

But, I'm curious who makes use of them Hohners on the "equipment" list? Not like a harp player to use some old axe laying in a studio... Eeeewwww

Sorry I can't help on the 612's, either.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

612 drawings

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Hi Thomas,

The Altec 612 cabinet began life as the bass reflex (resonator, as Jim Lansing called it) cabinet of the Lansing Iconic. I am fortunate to own several of these. When the Altec Lansing Duplex driver debuted, it was most often fitted to this box. If you have pictures of Abbey Road studios showing these enclosures, they almost certainly housed whatever version of the 604 was being produced at the time of their manufacture. The 604 in the 612 cabinet was so commonly used in recording studios for several decades that it was considered a true standard.

I have made careful blueprint drawings of the Lansing Iconic 612 enclosure; please email me if you would like a scan of the drawings. Later Altec 612s (of the same appearance) deviate only slightly from the dimensions of the original.
    Hi I would love to build this cabinet. I once owned a pair back in the day. I have just stumbled on to some 604-Es that nead a home.
    Thanks Erik

Pictures

How about sharing some pictures - tks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Hi Thomas,
    The 604 in the 612 cabinet was so commonly used in recording studios for several decades that it was considered a true standard.
    FYI...
    EMI qualified the Altec 605 and never used the 604 in the 612 cabinet.
    The story is told in the "Recording the Beatles" book which I own and here is a pic of the beginning of Chapter 7:

BigBusa
    Item number:230351312212

there's a pair on ebay right now

612's

I just had a pair made using Altec's plans and will be putting in Great Plains 604's. I will be flying them in the new house in Montana powered with the Fountek Altitude tube amp. Sittin' on Barnwood bar stools in the Great Room enjoying AC/DC...

Quote Originally Posted by rlaugel View Post
    I just had a pair made using Altec's plans and will be putting in Great Plains 604's. I will be flying them in the new house in Montana powered with the Fountek Altitude tube amp. Sittin' on Barnwood bar stools in the Great Room enjoying AC/DC...

The Beatles had a 605 in their 612. I would recommend the neew GPA 604 8H III.

Go to Great Plains Audio Web Site. http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...ml#post1775599

hOPE THIS HELPS

604's

I already have new GPA 604 8H III's sitting in storage waiting to be mounted. I'll post another pic when installed.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rlaugel View Post

Nice cabinets. Who did them for you and how much were they if you don't mind?

Bob W

cabs

http://www.woodcraftdisplays.com/

A cabinet shop in Hamilton, Montana. Dusty charged me $340 each - finished. Bracing is beautiful and sturdy.
    Randy

Thread Information