Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Array 1400 with Mcintosh MC275 MKV and 501s

Quote Originally Posted by jasonyeo View Post

Thats the one. This is submittet by the master himself, so read it carefully, and do just as described. Your sound should be great
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Thats the one. This is submittet by the master himself, so read it carefully, and do just as described. Your sound should be great
    Thanks. Not quite comfortable on shorting the input capacitor as I still need the speakers on HT duty using just the MC501s. Think I better save more money to get two MC275 and mono it instead

Thanks. Not quite comfortable on shorting the input capacitor as I still need the speakers on HT duty using just the MC501s. Think I better save more money to get two MC275 and mono it instead

I think you are missing the point. This description is for use with an electronic active crossover. The power rating is unaffected. (more or less)

I think you are missing the point. This description is for use with an electronic active crossover. The power rating is unaffected. (more or less)
    I get what you mean but for HT , I need timbre matching espcially on the L,C,R speakers . If I change the tone on fronts only leaving center as usual , the timbre will not match unless I bi-amp the center as well

I get what you mean but for HT , I need timbre matching espcially on the L,C,R speakers . If I change the tone on fronts only leaving center as usual , the timbre will not match unless I bi-amp the center as well
    To be honest i don't think the difference will be so large that you would really care about it. Unless you go for an amplifier with way different sound.

On the other hand. What's stopping you from biamping the center as well?

To be honest i don't think the difference will be so large that you would really care about it. Unless you go for an amplifier with way different sound.

On the other hand. What's stopping you from biamping the center as well?
    I am already satisfied with the HT sound so do not want to mess with it anymore

Now just want to concentrate on the stereo part . At the same time , learning from you guys .

I understand the life span on tubes for tube amp is short so may need to change the tubes every 1.5 years if doing double duty . I am more on a HT guys so most of the times I am watching movies rather than listening to music

Love the rich mid and smooth highs from a tube amp so want to try it out on my system.

Think I better save more money to get two MC275 and mono it instead
    Borrow them before you buy... I can't imagine this is a logical or well advised solution. You may find audio nirvana by buying some expensive amps. but simply throwing money at the problem rarely solves it... that said, if you go this route you'd hardly be the first person to initially believe you've solved your "problem" only to eventually change your mind as the "new" wears off.

Mac gear is pretty and some of it is sonically quite good. That said, if you really want to explore amps try a real variety from numerous brands. You might find an amp from someone else that costs far less and satisfies you more... or better yet, make sure your electronics front end is good, focus on the room acoustics and enjoy the music.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Borrow them before you buy... I can't imagine this is a logical or well advised solution. You may find audio nirvana by buying some expensive amps. but simply throwing money at the problem rarely solves it... that said, if you go this route you'd hardly be the first person to initially believe you've solved your "problem" only to eventually change your mind as the "new" wears off.

Mac gear is pretty and some of it is sonically quite good. That said, if you really want to explore amps try a real variety from numerous brands. You might find an amp from someone else that costs far less and satisfies you more... or better yet, make sure your electronics front end is good, focus on the room acoustics and enjoy the music.

Widget
    Understand . But the dealer here does not loan the amp .

Can you recommend some nice tube amps other than mcintosh to match with the mac tube pre?

Understand . But the dealer here does not loan the amp .

Can you recommend some nice tube amps other than mcintosh to match with the mac tube pre?
    Is there a local audio club? You need to experiment... buying gear that is highly recommended will guaranty one thing... draining your bank account.

I like Pass Labs which are solid state, I like Audio Research tube amps, some Cary amps, BAT amps... I have recently used a pair of Atmosphere OTL amps... they really heat up the room, but sound very nice. There are numerous tube amps from your corner of the world... try some of those too.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Is there a local audio club? You need to experiment... buying gear that is highly recommended will guaranty one thing... draining your bank account.

I like Pass Labs which are solid state, I like Audio Research tube amps, some Cary amps, BAT amps... I have recently used a pair of Atmosphere OTL amps... they really heat up the room, but sound very nice. There are numerous tube amps from your corner of the world... try some of those too.

Widget
    Thanks for the advice . Unfortunately it is very hard to loan a tube amp here from a dealer...

Thanks for the advice . Unfortunately it is very hard to loan a tube amp here from a dealer...
    That's why I asked about a Hi-Fi club... you should try to borrow some equipment from like minded people in your area. There is simply nothing like comparing several pieces of gear in your own system to show you what is important to you and what is not.

It is quite easy to spend tens of thousands of dollars on highly rated gear and make your system sound no better or even worse. So much of this hobby is purely subjective, but even objectively the way different pieces of gear perform together can often be surprising... here in the States any decent dealer will let you borrow or at least give you exchange privileges. If that simply is impossible where you are you should try to find a compromise... perhaps carting your speakers and electronics down to the shop and comparing the whole setup with other amps and perhaps preamps as well... sure, a ton of work, but if you are serious about this and don't want to throw away good money after bad...

Widget

If a shop denies you the possibility of trying out stuff at home, you should find another shop. There are dealers that even offer to send product to you. You buy the product with maybe a 10day return policy. If you don't wish to buy, you only cover the shipping cost. If you buy, you might get the shipping for free.

My path to Nirvana on the mid/highs for the 1400's ended with an Odyssey Khartago. Funnily enough, it was the least expensive (by far) amp I tried, but ended up better than any of the 5 vlave amps I tried - go figure ?

Just a nice, synergistic match, for me at least.

Cheers

'Nutz
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

Quote Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post
    My path to Nirvana on the mid/highs for the 1400's ended with an Odyssey Khartago. Funnily enough, it was the least expensive (by far) amp I tried, but ended up better than any of the 5 vlave amps I tried - go figure ?
    That is exactly the point I was trying to make. In addition I think it is likely that you will find amp A to be the "best" and someone else may prefer amp C or D though we all agree that amp B is not right.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post
    Just a nice, synergistic match, for me at least.

Cheers

'Nutz

On a personal level, that is really all that matters.

Thread Information