Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.C. Area Get Togeher

D.C. Area Get Togeher

We had one of our get togethers this weekend and thought some of you might like to see some pictures (the faces behind the names). It was my turn to host this time. The listening room isn't 100% complete, but it is complete enough to give it a try and for me to get some good feedback from some trusted ears who know great sound.

The subs were installed and up and running the day before the event. They've been re-foamed recently as well. I've been moving the main speakers back and forth, left and right trying to get them in the sweet spot.

In a nutshell, we all thought the sound was pretty good and full overall. However, the subs were less than overwhelming. When I used them last, in my old home, the subs were absolutely overwhelming - in a very good way. They used to reach down so low that you could feel pressure waves coming at you, hitting you in the gut, and then going past you. I'm referring to the real infrasonic stuff, not just bass drum hits. One difference is that I was runing the subs in stereo, whereas I used to run them in mono. I'll have to make that change and see if it makes a difference.

But, we still had a great time, and the gang is a great group of folks.

It's a little fuzzy, but here's a picture of Heather (hjames), Mark (opimax), Wilfredo (unsure of Wilfredo's handle), and Wilfredo's friend Troy.
    Name:  IMG_4236.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  74.6 KB

Here's a picture of the gang listening to some Eric Clapton:

Name:  IMG_4238.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  85.2 KB

And a picture of them listening to my band, "Vollmer", doing a heavy metal version of The Beatles:

Name:  IMG_4237.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  94.3 KB

And now for some of just Mark. Here's Mark with one of the Focus:

Name:  IMG_4232.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  127.2 KB

Mark couldn't tell if the subs were running or not, so he thought he'd check up close:

Name:  IMG_4233.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  58.6 KB

We had a great day and a lot of fun. If you're in the DC Metro area, or can make it, let us know and you'll be invited next time!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    We had a great day and a lot of fun. If you're in the DC Metro area, or can make it, let us know and you'll be invited next time!

Steve
    Count me in next time.. Are those the dual 2245H subs?

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Yes, based on the Audio magazine article by Greg Timbers. These are the 12 cubic foot cabinet versions.

Steve - thanks so much for hosting this bash! It was lots of fun, food was great, your system sounds superb in 2.1 mode (even if you are being fussy about your big subs) the bass was very tight and snappy - those Legacy speakers are gorgeous, and please, have us back when the surrounds are installed and connected!

Between your pair of nicely-built 2245 subs and stack of big Adcoms - what's not to like?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sounds like a great get-together!

Wish I lived close enough to join you all!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Steve - thanks so much for hosting this bash! It was lots of fun, food was great, your system sounds superb in 2.1 mode (even if you are being fussy about your big subs) the bass was very tight and snappy - those Legacy speakers are gorgeous, and please, have us back when the surrounds are installed and connected!

Between your pair of nicely-built 2245 subs and stack of big Adcoms - what's not to like?
    to answer your question, my pictures LOL, I was hoping the "college days" picture would have made it.
    These events are great! I even remarked lets do this more often...then it was said it is my turn again...and I slinked away.

Actually i will be happy to have people over...when is the question??? after 12/18 which would go to 12/25 to 1/1 to I would think 1/10 weekend would be the best time, comments? I will have to do/buy something new , peer pressure, look forward to that too

in the mean time I am hoping to get a pair of 250 over to Steve's house to see how they sound in a room that doesn't make bass dissapear as my whole house does. also some real higher end and current equipment might improve them too

Mark

PS We were told to make faces for the camera, not quite my natural pose
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Looks like a great time. These events are the key to keeping a forum like this alive: getting like-minded folks together who would never meet otherwise.

And "they" say the Internet makes us more isolated and less connected.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Looks like a great time. These events are the key to keeping a forum like this alive: getting like-minded folks together who would never meet otherwise.

And "they" say the Internet makes us more isolated and less connected.

I will be happy to post about it before hand , for those that say they will be stopping by please do and if you can't make it don't say you will.

They aren't all JBL, or even all audio stuff. Certainly based there but we actually have fun!! (except Heather, she is just so serious !! lmao)

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Great roaring monsters ...
    Steve insisted they were louder in his old house!
    Although with the bass traps and refoaming them in-between, I'll bet they will be once they break in!

Steve has built square full-height bass traps in the corners of the room (the yellow stacked firm fiberglass column in the 2x4 frames) -
    and has his older designed traps he used before nearby (the round columns behind his main Legacy speakers - looks like a hot water heater!) ...

I think with all those bass traps in the room he may be losing something there ... but what do I know ...?

All I know is, it was a lot of fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    to answer your question, my pictures LOL, I was hoping the "college days" picture would have made it.

Be careful what you ask for.....

Name:  IMG_4234.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  86.3 KB

Seriously, Mark was just playing for the camera. The empty "Sammie" bottle next to him was mine.

Thread Information