Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 604's are going to GPA and having New cabinet thoughts.

What is the problem you are hearing with the E?

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    What is the problem you are hearing with the E?
    It just sounds way more quiet than the C at normal listening volume kinda like something shorted out would sound. at first I thought it was the hi Freq. but when I took the cover off and looked at the diaphragm it looked ok whether it was or not IDK? the wires running to it were fine and when I switched networks it still sounded kinda shorted out or something???

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    It just sounds way more quiet than the C at normal listening volume kinda like something shorted out would sound. at first I thought it was the hi Freq. but when I took the cover off and looked at the diaphragm it looked ok whether it was or not IDK? the wires running to it were fine and when I switched networks it still sounded kinda shorted out or something???
    Try changing the position of the HF level control--that is, turn it. See if that changes the sound. If it does not the HF diaphragm is burnt out.

Sound shorted? If the HF is absent the sound will be much less loud, dull and subdued sounding.

If the sound is very faint and "scratchy" that is 1) a bad amp channel, or 2) the wires connected to that channel are in fact shorted together. Continued playing in condition 2 will lead to condition 1.

Did you throw a party to celebrate your new speakers and try to drive them with that amp at disco levels? Small amps overdriven put out more than their rated power in HF and VHF distortion products. That tends to blow tweeters.

Or, you may have found the reason the speakers were sold off cheap by the college. "Old and not worth fixing," someone said. Hah! I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone is as preoccupied with this old stuff as some people I could mention.

Try changing the position of the HF level control--that is, turn it. See if that changes the sound. If it does not the HF diaphragm is burnt out.

Sound shorted? If the HF is absent the sound will be much less loud, dull and subdued sounding.

If the sound is very faint and "scratchy" that is 1) a bad amp channel, or 2) the wires connected to that channel are in fact shorted together. Continued playing in condition 2 will lead to condition 1.

Did you throw a party to celebrate your new speakers and try to drive them with that amp at disco levels? Small amps overdriven put out more than their rated power in HF and VHF distortion products. That tends to blow tweeters.

Or, you may have found the reason the speakers were sold off cheap by the college. "Old and not worth fixing," someone said. Hah! I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone is as preoccupied with this old stuff as some people I could mention.
    I did turn the attenuator both ways and could hear a total difference when I did so it was doing something but turned way down where the highs are the brightest still sounded way lower quality and brightness from the "C" I have. Nope no disco partys I'm pretty sure I noticed it early on when I first got them and was powering them with a Optimus receiver. I just want a good close as could be matched pair of great sounding speakers after all who do I have to impress??? I live alone and I need a fun hobby.

Check your connection at the amp. It sounds like you might have a strand or two of one of the wires shorted over to the other connector/terminal. As I recall those receivers have screw terminals with no dividers.

Check your connection at the amp. It sounds like you might have a strand or two of one of the wires shorted over to the other connector/terminal. As I recall those receivers have screw terminals with no dividers.
    I'll check it but probably won't let you know if they were....I'll be too busy kicking myself in the ass. BTW They are spring loaded connectors.

. . . . BTW They are spring loaded connectors.
    Oh, that's right. That makes it much less likely.

To eliminate the amp channel as the problem connect the E to the other channel using the wire you have going to the C.

If that sounds the same, then the problem is in the speaker, since you say you already tried the C crossover on the E.

I'll check it but probably won't let you know if they were....I'll be too busy kicking myself . . . .
    You can just say, "Problem resolved with a little trouble shooting."

Oh, that's right. That makes it much less likely.

To eliminate the amp channel as the problem connect the E to the other channel using the wire you have going to the C.

If that sounds the same, then the problem is in the speaker, since you say you already tried the C crossover on the E.
    I would try that if they weren't already on their way to Oklahoma. Besides I'm pretty sure I did that when they were hooked up to the optimus it didn't help.

You can just say, "Problem resolved with a little trouble shooting."
    I'll keep that in mind...I got a feeling I'll be saying that a lot.

I would try that if they weren't already on their way to Oklahoma. Besides I'm pretty sure I did that when they were hooked up to the optimus it didn't help.
    I don't know if you told them to change the cones or not but if you did. I would call Bill and ask him to leave the cones if they can be fixed without having to remove them.Especially on the C variant as they don't make those cones anymore.And is worth a lot more with Original cones!
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I don't know if you told them to change the cones or not but if you did. I would call Bill and ask him to leave the cones if they can be fixed without having to remove them.Especially on the C variant as they don't make those cones anymore.And is worth a lot more with Original cones!
    Actually what I said was could you make them like new again..... I don't have long distance on my phone although I did use somebody else's phone today to contact them because I wasnt getting a response to my emails. Personally I want them to sound the best that they can, I really could care less about their value because to me they're priceless I'll never part with them. Hopefully when Bill see's them he'll use good judgment in only doing what they need done. : )

So what was the outcome? I hate it when there is a good discussion with no conclusion or take-ways? Where the 604's re-coned and re-magnetized by Bill? And how did they turn out? Did you do anything about new cabinets? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by junker View Post
    So what was the outcome? I hate it when there is a good discussion with no conclusion or take-ways? Where the 604's re-coned and re-magnetized by Bill? And how did they turn out? Did you do anything about new cabinets? Thanks.
    You and me both, BUT the thread is 5 years old and the OP hasn't been here in 3, so.............try a PM, you may get lucky

Just hope the guy's alright or hasn't expired; that's happening to me more and more often as of late, a lot more than I care for

Yeah... maybe worth a shot. At any rate I post my impressions after having my 614A serviced by Bill @ GPA. One had a rubbing voice coil so both are getting replaced and magnetized.

Next project is hopefully his 604E alnico drivers is large cabinets (250-300L) that I think I'll port according to the Altec volume to port size graphs. Should be a nice project after I have these 16 ohm Flamencos finished. Thanks!

Thread Information