Thread: Wanted : Name and / or Number of a Studio Monitor :

David V. Webber

Wanted : Name and / or Number of a Studio Monitor :

What is the JBL Studio Monitor called which contains a 15" Woofer , the 375 Driver
    with the Slant - Plate Lens , and the Ring - Radiator ? In an almost cubic , plain Birch
    box .

Can see a picture of it in the pictures from the 60s and 70s .

Thank you ,

David V. Webber

4333A...?

Also, the L45 Flair - with the S8 system - would fit that description, kinda.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

D50SM or 4320?

JBL's original studio monitor could be purchased as a C50SM enclosure, satin grey or unfinished, with S7 or S8 speaker loads (S8 is a LE15woofer, 375 compression driver and acoustic lens - I think the 075 tweeter was added separately)

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...967-d50sm7.htm

There was a guy recently in Chicago think that had 4 mint ones in the S8R configuration, couldn't get $8k for the four, so he parted them out, though I think the enclosures still pop up from time to time...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    4333A...?

Also, the L45 Flair - with the S8 system - would fit that description, kinda.
    Not the 4333. They came with the 2420 driver.

My 4320 came with an LE15 and an LE85 (2420 driver, short horn and slant lens) not the potato masher, maybe just the C50SM had the 375?

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    JBL's original studio monitor could be purchased as a C50SM enclosure, satin grey or unfinished, with S7 or S8 speaker loads (S8 is a LE15woofer, 375 compression driver and acoustic lens - I think the 075 tweeter was added separately)

There was a guy recently in Chicago think that had 4 mint ones in the S8R configuration, couldn't get $8k for the four, so he parted them out, though I think the enclosures still pop up from time to time...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

David V. Webber

Yes ! C50 sm !

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post

I remember now ! My twin bought a pair . Unfinished . Do have the " Ring Radiator " .
    I think he wanted the same " guts " as the PARAGON , but in a plain box .

His wife just died . He is in the hospital . His house is going to be demolished . Next week I intend to drive over to New Jersey , ( I live nearw Wilmington , Delaware , )
    and " Rescue " them . One has water damage to the top veneer . Possibly the grill got
    wet also . ( Roof caved - in ! Earlier , I told him to cut a hole in the side of the house a get those awsome JBLs out !! )

I'll likely offer them here , to a " Good Home ". " Best Offer " in some sort of time period.

When my twin bought the C50SMs , I built a pair of " bookshelf " speakers using the
    LE14A and LE85 / Potato Masher . Built rosewood veneer cabinets . 4 1/4" ports !
    Sent the LE85s to a JBL Service Center to get new diaphragms . By the time I had saved - up $ 600 , ( Orange County ; the " good " ones , ) my LE85s had been " lost " !!
    The JBL Repair Center bought some from ( ? ) Ebay , but they are ugly and coroded , while mine were " mint " . Looking for a NICE pair ; could have blown diaphragms , as I have the $ 600 ones . Can't replace the caps in the original X - Over , as they are imbedded in tar . However , Mr. Greg Timbers sent me all the parts , ( including some
    MONSTER air - coils , ) free , to build a pair of " modern " X - Overs .

If I can't find a home for the C50SMs , I may use the Ring - Radiators and make my speakers 3 - Way . [ Just BARELY room enough on the front board . ] However , Mr. Timbers says the Ring Radiator doesn't do well with a passive - crossover . Better with a small " Chip - Amp " . If that is what happens , I'll contact Greg and find out exact specs on the small chip - amp , and how to work into the X - Over diagram he sent me . DVW

Thread Information