Thread: Cans/Pods/Amps

Cans/Pods/Amps

I like to listen to tunes in the rack before sawing ZZZZ's..

I REALLY like to use my Sennheiser HD-580's , but most mobile music devices dont really drive them well ..the nano and iTouch make half hearted attempts...the MD player does a little better .....its bad enough that I started looking around for a more efficient replacement for the Senns.

BUT then , when looking at new cans..the solution of a headphone amp came up.

I'm in a no discretionary money spending mode ( a son in college in London is expensive) , so the amp is put off to the future

Got to thinking that I've got tons of iffy electronics in storage...the trick is to find a good amp with sufficient power to push the 580's well , but be small enough to fit on a headboard....dug thru the stuff and came up with a TEAC DV-C200 (all in 1 HT DVD player with FM and amp that will run 4.1..Toslink o/p ..15 wpc) , well its got a headphone jack and AUX in...wired it all up ...tossed on the pod and plugged in the Senns ..WOW...no more looking for replacement cans ...can get it louder than needed, tho its not about loudness..the lower end just has more authority with the extra watts available..

(DVD player section doesnt work.original remote is lost as are original speakers.....but who cares ?? )

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B00005S8KM

Amazon.com Product Description

The Sennheiser HD580 Over-Ear Headphones are a first-class audio solution ideal for use in recording studios. The diaphragm uses an advanced design to avoid resonant frequencies. The headphones use neodymium ferrous magnets in a system that ensures optimum sensitivity and high dynamic response with minimal harmonic and intermodual distortion. The ultra-light aluminum voice coils also provide excellent dynamic response, and the detachable OFC copper cable is reinforced with Kevlar for extremely low handling noise. Overall, the HD580 delivers natural, spatial sound that's highly accurate.

Product Description

Creates a new benchmark in dynamic headphone performance Velvet-soft ear pads Ultra-wide dynamic range for pure sonic clarity Bass-tube venting for authentically deep bass Kevlar reinforced cable Unprecedented frequency response that is comparable to electrostatic performance
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

slightly OT

but heck, its my thread

Soo, I'm enjoying the HD580's that had nearly been forgotten , now that there is enuff power to really drive them...

Been doing some reading and the 580 is very close to the next step up HD600 ....so its not really in my upgrade path....the HD800 (TOTL) is out of my price range at $1400 , BUT the HD650 is within reach..

the web rates the 650 quite a bit higher than my 580's or 600's...

Does anybody here have experience with the HD650 ?? I know there are lots of great cans out there, but want to stick with Sennheiser's.

I've had the HD600s for quite a number of years... they were the highly rated TOTL when I got them... They are OK, but I think my next headphones would be AKGs or Beyerdynamics.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I've had the HD600s for quite a number of years... they were the highly rated TOTL when I got them... They are OK, but I think my next headphones would be AKGs or Beyerdynamics.

Widget
    I also rated the 580 as Ok and didnt use them much , until I started listening in bed...once there was enough power to run them, they came alive....I've had Beyers and AKG's (pulling model numbers from my a$$ ...770pro , 240 ???) and had the same feelings about them.

Best sounding cans I ever had were Fostex...they did not have a model number on them , but were brown leather trimmed and a forgettable name ...something like "non-phased" or "un-natural phased" or something in that vein ....have never found Google results for it...stupidly sold them (still dont remember why)

I guess headphones are OK. I got two, but it is very seldom I use them. Why? Because they do not give me the realism. I think that one must feel the music (like the low freq make the floor move!)

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I guess headphones are OK. I got two, but it is very seldom I use them. Why? Because they do not give me the realism. I think that one must feel the music (like the low freq make the floor move!)

Just my opinion.
    I'd like to see your JBL's do 12-38khz

Sennheiser HD580 Headphone Reviews

Headphone Details Manufacturer Sennheiser Model HD580 Headphone Type Open Circumaural Headband Type Single Weight (g) 260 Driver Type Dynamic Enclosure Material Plastic Isolation (dB) 0 Impedance (ohms) 300 Cable Length (cm) 300 Frequency Response (Hz) 12 - 38000

http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...nnheiser/HD580

Rolf didn't say he wanted his JBLs to reach 12Hz... he said headphones don't make the floor move... and he is right.

I have been going to a lot of live music lately... headphones and surround sound are nothing like live music... stereo or LCR can be far more like listening to live music.

Widget

Closest I've gotten is an old (now) pair of Stax electrostatics, special/dedicated tube
    amp driving 'em. I don't recall now whether they were Lambda-Pro's or SRM series.
    That was the closest I've ever been to giving up on monkey coffins.

I haven't given earnest consideration to new sets since (having a comfy older set of
    Sennheiser semi-open HD430 and a newer set of Sony MDR's for live work).

I have been going to a lot of live music lately... headphones and surround sound are nothing like live music... stereo or LCR can be far more like listening to live music.
    I couldn't agree more.

And I'm a headphone fan having kept the Superex ST-PRO-B4s I've had since I was a teen only replacing them a couple of years ago with a pair of Sennheiser HD-280s that I like just fine.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I've had the HD600s for quite a number of years... they were the highly rated TOTL when I got them...
    so the Senn 580/600/650 are all of a similar design .....on my head ,at least, the position that I wear them has an effect on the sound..they are large and circumaural ..you are not locked into one positional attitude as with smaller cans..

A weakness in the design is that the underside of the headband has a strip with 4 foam bumps to put the entire band the right distance UP , and then everything else fits right too. We all know about FOAM ROT. My band bumps were completely flat and I just couldnt get a good fit .... after starting this thread, went searching the 580 on the web and found B&H had the replacement OEM band inserts...they are only $8.95 with $3 shipping ( in an 18x24 envelope) so I got it last week and installed yesterday.....now it all fits right again and getting correct wearing alignment is easy again

bottom line...easier/better sound.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Headband.html

I bet I've had my HD600s for ten years or so... the foam is as new. Good to know that replacement foam is available though.

Widget

Is this the Stax you are talking about? They are in bad shape, and the amp is lost. Is it possible to get parts?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Closest I've gotten is an old (now) pair of Stax electrostatics, special/dedicated tube
    amp driving 'em. I don't recall now whether they were Lambda-Pro's or SRM series.
    That was the closest I've ever been to giving up on monkey coffins.

I haven't given earnest consideration to new sets since (having a comfy older set of
    Sennheiser semi-open HD430 and a newer set of Sony MDR's for live work).

Brand? yes. Model? no. They looked rectangular, but not nearly as boxy.
    See the current SR-507 model for example.

They are apparently still in business and making headphones/amps/parts:

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/ExportProducts.html

Might try: http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Overseas.html

(The "Norway,Sweden" link in particular)

I was down at GW salvage yesterday and digging thru a big ball of wires to extract somes rca's and noticed some Sony clipon earphones and so detangled them too ...they looked like mebbe good for bike riding.

plugged them into a pod , and they were GOOD ....even listened to them in the rack last night.

So was very surprised to look them up and find the price...I expected 40-50 from the sound , but you can get them on da bay for $8.98 DELIVERED. They are very fast, good bass and comfortable....there is a unique spring loaded clip that you rotate to open up to attach and then they close back down , making a secure fit....light and airy and stayed in place for my 14 mile ride today....dont let the price throw you..they sound mighty nice

no affliation with this seller..just an example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MDR-Q22LP-E...29354063326428

Thread Information