Thread: Starting new project

Starting new project

Hello to everyone......

Beginning with the wintertime, I' ll start a new project for my mains. Normally satisfied with my old ones, but my 2360 Horn seems to big for my small listening room. Over the year I collected two 2225 H, which I want to use for general bass in 3,5 cft enclosure. The 2360 will be changed by a 2397 using the same driver (2440) as before. On top i'll take my 2405. My cornersubs with my 2235 will be also the same as before. The 2225 will run from 50 Hz to 630 Hz, the 2397 from 630 to 8 khz and the slots above 8 khz. Any ideas or suggestions for me ?? Thanks for sharing.......

Aktivkampi

Quote Originally Posted by aktivkampi View Post
    The 2225 will run from 50 Hz to 630 Hz, the 2397 from 630 to 8 khz and the slots above 8 khz. Any ideas or suggestions for me ??
    My suggestion is to not lock yourself into that 630Hz crossover point. I found the 2397 to sound best crossed over above 1KHz.

You can certainly use it down that low, but your mids will sound harder and a bit more harsh than they need to.

Widget

What about running up the 2225 to ca. 1 khz. Anybody some experience ???

some thoughts:

you probably want your electronic (passive or active) and acoustic
    characteristics to mesh well in the crossover overlap range. I'd drop
    it pretty fast after 1KHz... possibly starting with a slower slope as
    early as 800Hz to counter a small rising response.

Low end of the 2440 on the 2397 should be brought in pretty quickly
    at 1KHz, as the 15" driver's response is already narrowing up.

2397 arrived

Hello

Today my 2397 horns arrived. But they have no adaptor. Maybe someone has a pair to sell (I asked already in the marketplace). If not, I' ll try to build some from MDF. It would be great, if someone have plans from the 2328 adaptor an can post it to me.

Aktivkampi

Talking 2328 arrived

Hello

Today the 2328 adaptors arrived. Thanks very much, Fangio - they are in good shape - as the pictures have already shown.
    I did a quick set up this afternoon - demount the 2360 and installed the 2397 with the slot above it. I had no time to take some picture of this special mounting, because I wanna hear !!! Pictures will follow
    The sound is very different to the 2360. It's more smooth as I heard already from other members. It seems that the overall level of the 2397 is about 6 db less than the level of the 2360 !!! Maybe it's because I haven't changed the crossover point from 500 Hz, later I'll try 630 Hz. The sound isn't so direct, but the dispersion is much wider than before. That's a totally different soundstage like before. But I think I'll like it..... I only have to
    accustom with it.

Quote Originally Posted by aktivkampi View Post
    The sound isn't so direct, but the dispersion is much wider than before. That's a totally different soundstage like before. But I think I'll like it..... I only have to
    accustom with it.
    I haven't used them in a few years, though I liked them enough that I still have a pair of 2397s and a pair of my walnut Westlake clones. When I did use them, I found controlling the side reflections was critical if you want to preserve a coherent image... it also effects the tonal balance.

Widget

some pics.......
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nice! My mounting solution is shown below. It's a good idea to have the slots line up with the voice coil of your 2440s.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks Jerry

This is only a first try / setup, but it sounds quite good !!! I've changed the crossover to 630 Hz and I must say, it's much better than 500 Hz. Mr. Widget seems to be right, not to use it as low as I want to do it.....
    I've got an analog electronic crossover (Audio Geometry FDN S3) which uses selectable crossover cards and 630 Hz is the highest what I have for the moment. I'll ask my local dealer to build me some 800 Hz cards, I don't wanna go higher if using the 2225 for a test as low/mid. If it'll be not so much fun as with the 2206, I'll go back to the 2206 and maby change to 1KHz..... I'll report later on....

Guido

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    Nice! My mounting solution is shown below. It's a good idea to have the slots line up with the voice coil of your 2440s.
    Wow - I like the look of your horn supports! And - do I see a crossover hiding under the smith horn in the lower image - very cool idea!

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yes Maam. These were charge coupled and based on one of the Giskard designs. I've since sold these -- horns, drivers, xovers and boxes -- to a friend. They were a very good learning experience.

Thread Information